Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 11:09   #31
BHPian

a bit on the i-GPI technology
Quote:
The i-GPI technology is a Dual ECU (Engine Control Unit) technology. This highly reliable system delivers accurate amounts of gas to the engine thus ensuring improved and consistent performance under various driving conditions. The i-GPI technology uses separate injectors for each cylinder. Based on inputs from the ECU, metered CNG quantity is injected to the engine through gas ports. The quantity of CNG required for different driving conditions is controlled by the dedicated ECU, leading to more efficient fuel usage.
source Autocar India
assuming that the Autocar article is correct, I believe that one would get similar performance in both CNG & perol mode. I think that this improved CNG performance would require more CNG (CNG has lower calorific value that petrol) thus CNG consumption may be a bit higher than with regular CNG kits (assuming regular kits are tuned for efficiency) but on the other hand the use of separate injectors and ECU would provide efficient metering of CNG....can someone please shed some light on the issue
Old 17th August 2010, 00:28   #32
SAS
BHPian

Well, there's no free lunch. Maruti have uploaded the specs on their respective car websites. There is indeed a drop in power, the HP for the Alto drops by 16% and torque by 13%, which was expected. The compression ratios are not high enough, however the losses which potentially would have been are somewhat with the advanced timing.

The small power loss is a small price to pay for the high savings which one can obtain. The SX4 is looking very tempting now and even though it would have a lower power, it's an amazing package. The CNG aveo sells for substantially less, but I'd pick up the SX4 anyday Too bad I already converted my Alto 6 months back...
Old 18th August 2010, 10:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

the SX4 CNG is termed as SX4 Green, and the cost of Ex showroom Delhi is as follows:

MARUTI SX4 GREEN VXI 746872.98

this is a input taken from marutisx4.com
Old 18th August 2010, 19:50   #34
BHPian

Any idea is CNG is available in Chennai? If yes, can u provide a link which specifies the locations where it is available?

I cant find anything so far...
Old 18th August 2010, 19:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

IIRC Bangalore and Chennai are LPG cities. Mumbai and NCR are CNG.

PS: LPG Wagon-R is back
Old 18th August 2010, 21:03   #36
BHPian

No Auto? No Zxi?

Maruti has botched this one up. There is no Auto transmission option. Nor do we get the higher trim Zxi variant?

Does Maruti believe that only Tourist Taxi operators will buy this car?

This could have been the first affordable (running cost) automatic CNG vehicle sold in India. When you think about how Indians avoid auto tranny cars because of higher fuel consumption, a CNG Auto car makes perfect sense!

Not to the folks at Maruti it would seem!
Old 20th August 2010, 09:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

i think they have started of with a CNG option in VXI just for the test purpose and if it will be acceptable to the people, then they might launch the same for higher variants as well, not a bad strategy.
Old 20th August 2010, 12:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Maruti has botched this one up. There is no Auto transmission option. Nor do we get the higher trim Zxi variant?

Does Maruti believe that only Tourist Taxi operators will buy this car?

This could have been the first affordable (running cost) automatic CNG vehicle sold in India. When you think about how Indians avoid auto tranny cars because of higher fuel consumption, a CNG Auto car makes perfect sense!

Not to the folks at Maruti it would seem!
I agree with you, nobody seems to be interested in selling AT cars with CNG.

Hyundai doesnt sell i10 or i20 AT with CNG. though it sells i10 manual with IRDE with CNG.

SX4 AT with CNG, any problem with that ? Maruti should have launched it.
Old 28th August 2010, 15:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

CNG Eeco pics

Neatly tucked in CNG selector switch. This is the 5 seater AC model. CNG also available in 5 seater non AC models.
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-photo0916.jpg

Engine viewed from under the driver's seat. No mishmash or any visible CNG wiring harness. Bay looks neat. Whats that blue polythene for ?
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-photo0917.jpg

engine as viewed from under co driver's seat. 1.2 4 cylinder G series BS 4 motor.
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-photo0918.jpg

basic no frills dashboard.
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-photo0919.jpg

10 KG cylinder looks pretty small in such a big car. Caged for safety reasons from the factory. Its a factory fitted CNG fit, not an aftermarket or dealer kit.
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-photo0921.jpg

"green" decal to distinguish the CNG eeco from its petrol counterpart.
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-photo0923.jpg

rear end. I have sent a request for a short first drive to the dealer. Hope I get to drive one soon. CNG eeco does not have any waiting as of now.
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-photo0924.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 28th August 2010 at 15:43.
Old 28th August 2010, 16:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Since when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid
engine as viewed from under co driver's seat. 1.2 4 cylinder G series BS 4 motor.
I didn't know a G12 existed until now.
Or is that actually a G?
Old 28th August 2010, 18:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I agree with you, nobody seems to be interested in selling AT cars with CNG.

Hyundai doesnt sell i10 or i20 AT with CNG. though it sells i10 manual with IRDE with CNG.

SX4 AT with CNG, any problem with that ? Maruti should have launched it.
I guess AT cars as well as CNG cars have lesser/slower power delivery compared to manual shift cars. Pair them and you might end up with a tortoise on road.
Any takers / critics of this theory? Please pour in!

Is the i10 a factory fit (see no options in the website) or a dealer fit?

Last edited by blackasta : 28th August 2010 at 18:20.
Old 28th August 2010, 18:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I didn't know a G12 existed until now.
Or is that actually a G?
Yes, its G12 with 71.0mm bore and a stroke of 75.5mm. G13 had 74 mm bore and 75.5 mm stroke. For G12 the bore is reduced from 74mm to 71 mm. Initially it was thought that K12M might find its way, but eventually G12 came up.
Old 28th August 2010, 19:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Is the i10 a factory fit (see no options in the website) or a dealer fit?
i10's kit is a dealer fit same as with Santro Xing
Old 28th August 2010, 23:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Yawn!!!
Those blue-eyed guys at MSIL should be knowing that nothing sells in India like diesel.

Who wants CNG, especially in South India where the only gas that sells is LPG ?
Forget the 90bhp diesel. All they need to do is plonk the 1.3l DDiS in the SX4 and they can see a waiting period. That's how much we love diesels. Atleast down south.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Is ARAI providing a FE numbers for CNG vehicles?

We tend to assume that all CNG vehicles are equally cheap to run without comparing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Neatly tucked in CNG selector switch. This is the 5 seater AC model. CNG also available in 5 seater non AC models.
Thanks Sid. How about a road test review?

Last edited by Mpower : 28th August 2010 at 23:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks