Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 23:05   #1
BANNED

Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched

Source: Maruti to launch CNG variants of Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R, Eeco and SX4 | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos

"Maruti Suzuki plans a blitzkrieg of CNG models in August 2010. To take the rivals and the customer by storm, Maruti will rollout CNG variants of its popular models – Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R, Eeco and SX4. With the planned rollouts, Maruti would become the carmaker to offer large number of CNG models. Unlike before, Maruti has developed an unique technology – i-GPI (intelligent gas port injection) that will ensure there is no loss of power. Also Alto CNG, Wagon-R CNG, Eeco CNG and SX4 CNG will come with factory fitted CNG kit not a retro fit. The CNG models will be priced at a premium of 15-20%. If you wonder why Maruti gives unfair treatment to Ritz and Swift prospects. Here comes the Maruti logic, Ritz and Swift customers already enjoys the diesel advantage. Maruti objective is to offer one cost effective fuel along with gasoline for every model. All these CNG models – alto, estilo, wagon-r, Eeco and SX4 might be launched on the same day."

So, Maruti is trying all things to keep the market share.

Also, going by the Maruti logic, there is no chance of launching a Diesel SX4 in the near future...
Old 26th July 2010, 23:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

But is CNG readily available throughout India???

Whom or where are they targeting?
Old 26th July 2010, 23:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
But is CNG readily available throughout India???

Whom or where are they targeting?
IMO, these cars will find many customers, specially when the petrol prices are going up at flat out rate.
There are many private car owners who install aftermarket kits, or the dealer ends up taking a huge amount of money for installation of CNG kits in new car under the " warranty will get void if job done from outside "threat.

Our M800 is running on CNG for long now. When I go to fill in CNG at CNG station in my city ( near ChikuWadi ) there are many private cars owners waiting in the queue. Even the Eeco is proving to be popular for CNG conversion. I manage to spot cars like G3HC, Corolla, Civic, SX4, Verna, almost all type of cars available in Rs. 7-15 lakh price bracket.

CNG is good if one is going to drive through city only. The issue of non availability of CNG will increase if CNG stations are limited, but people will continue to buy CNG vehicles. The running cost advantage in good enough.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 26th July 2010 at 23:30.
Old 26th July 2010, 23:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

its a good idea, Eeco taxi's are rapidly growing in mumbai and this would make it even better
Old 27th July 2010, 00:02   #5
BHPian

The CNG version of SX4 would definitly a take away. IMO, only SX4 is not running on waiting list from Maruti. Now it will change the statistics of the market. Ford Fiesta market would be hit badly with this move from Maruti.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:51   #6
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Also, going by the Maruti logic, there is no chance of launching a Diesel SX4 in the near future...
Well you see Maruti logic, I see simple handicap. The problem is that Maruti doesn't have a diesel engine in its portfolio. The ones that powers its current lineup come from FIAT, and it would be woefully underpowered for SX4.

Maybe it is time Maruti invested heavily in domestic Engine, then it wouldn't have to worry much. Or better still deepen the relationship established between VW and Suzuki motors so that they can continue to get engines.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

if 1.4L diesel can power the corolla, i feel 1.3L can be okay for SX4.. Corrections welcome
Old 27th July 2010, 13:25   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
Well you see Maruti logic, I see simple handicap. The problem is that Maruti doesn't have a diesel engine in its portfolio. The ones that powers its current lineup come from FIAT, and it would be woefully underpowered for SX4.
I didn't see that logic, but it was a direct quote from the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
if 1.4L diesel can power the corolla, i feel 1.3L can be okay for SX4.. Corrections welcome
Honda sold a lot of NHCs with a 77 BHP engine, and now Toyota is trying the same with the new 87BHP Corolla Diesel.

1.3L Diesel may be OK for SX4, but it should be the 90BHP version, and not the 75BHP one that powers Swift.

'Underpowered' is the tag that I can give for that, but as long as it is doing its duty for non-enthusiasts, it is all OK.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:03   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Also Alto CNG, Wagon-R CNG, Eeco CNG and SX4 CNG will come with factory fitted CNG kit not a retro fit.
Factory-fitted, fully supported by warranty, and professionally installed kits is the key here. I'm a fan of CNG for its low running costs; however, suspect quality of after-market installs remains the only deterrent. The WagonR LPG managed very respectable sales for its time. Now however, CNG makes a lot more sense than LPG (considering recent rate hikes for the latter).

Quote:
The CNG models will be priced at a premium of 15-20%.
I doubt! 20% is the premium for a diesel engine. Factory fitted CNG kits should sell for nothing more than 40K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
What they could do is offer the SX4 with the 1.3 VGT with 90 BHP on tap. Retains the differentiation over a 1.3 FGT-powered Dzire.
Old 28th July 2010, 23:38   #10
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I doubt! 20% is the premium for a diesel engine. Factory fitted CNG kits should sell for nothing more than 40K.
Well, if they are coming with a sequential kit, they shall price the CNG variants at a premium of approx Rs. 60k easily IMHO. Sequential kits are expensive unlike the open loop / closed loop systems which are normally installed.

Add the fact that there are no real competitors to them in the CNG space other than the Aveo CNG (which is an excellent product and nicely positioned), they shall price it on the higher side. CNG brings tremendous value proposition to the end customer, it reduces the running cost by over 60% v/s petrol and hence Maruti would price it high.

Most recent launches with sequential kits have been priced at a premium of around Rs. 70k - Rs 85k, like the Aveo, Innova, etc and I'm pretty sure Maruti shall follow suit. The kits are relatively same whether it's a sedan like the Aveo or a hatchback like the Wagon R

What needs to be seen is would the customer move to factory fitted kits and pay this Rs 60k to Rs. 70k premium, or would they continue to go to the regular authorised retrofitters and get the job done for around Rs. 28k instead and recover the conversion costs within a year rather than wait for 3 years (or more) to recover the costs vis-a-vis the petrol counterparts.
Old 28th July 2010, 23:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Factory-fitted, fully supported by warranty, and professionally installed kits is the key here. I'm a fan of CNG for its low running costs; however, suspect quality of after-market installs remains the only deterrent. The WagonR LPG managed very respectable sales for its time. Now however, CNG makes a lot more sense than LPG (considering recent rate hikes for the latter).
CNG rates have been hiked too off late.CNG is retailing around Rs 28 a kg in Delhi. This coupled with the fact that CNG usually gives less mileage as compared to diesel and petrol (measured in km/kg viz a viz km/l for gasoline) , leads to drop in power and is not available in a lot of cities, I am not sure if this is a very intelligent move from Maruti. It would be better for them to concentrate on diesels especially with Nano diesel on the anvil.

Quote:
What they could do is offer the SX4 with the 1.3 VGT with 90 BHP on tap. Retains the differentiation over a 1.3 FGT-powered Dzire.
I believe that their contract with Fiat does not allow them to do so. Infact it even restricts them to use the FGT in specific geographies.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:57   #12
BANNED

Source: Maruti to launch five CNG cars in a single day next month - Hindustan Times

"In an unprecedented move to defend market share, the country's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India will launch five cars in CNG version in a single day in the second week of next month. The company, whose market share has come down below 50 per cent in the quarter ended June for the first time in
its history, will unleash factory fitted CNG options of its best selling Alto, compact cars Estilo and WagonR, multi purpose vehicle Eeco and mid sized sedan SX4.

"The CNG models will be very important in our portfolio. We are the first company to come out with factory fitted CNG cars and we will have the first mover's advantage in the market," MSI Chief General Manager (Marketing) Shashank Srivastava told reporters here.

In the April June quarter, MSI's market share fell to 47.59 per cent from earlier over 55 per cent in the 15 lakh units per year domestic car segment. It had sold 2,06,377 units during the quarter in a total market of 4,33,641 units.

The company has decided to launch all the five versions on a single day in the second week of August because there is no particular segment for CNG cars unlike other models, which can be specified into different strata, Srivastava said.

"It is the launch of a technology, not the cars. It is the concept of factory fitted CNG models," he added.

Besides, MSI will launch a two new versions of its small car Alto on August 4 with a 1.0 litre K-series engine.

The Alto is the best selling car model in India averaging over 20,000 units per month. The company has sold nearly 14 lakh units since its launch in September 2000.

"We are expecting about 25 per cent increase in Alto's sales after the launch of the new variant Alto K10," Srivastava said, adding the first time buyers are gradually going for more sophisticated and feature oriented models.

In April, MSI had introduced BS IV compliant Alto on the existing 800cc F Series engine and this model will continue.

When asked about the possible price of the new Alto, he said,"There is a huge gap between the top model of existing Alto and the base version of Estilo. The base variant of AltoK10 may be priced between this range."

The existing Alto is priced between Rs 2.29 lakh and Rs 2.81 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), while the Estilo starts at Rs 3.20 lakh and goes up to Rs 4.10 lakh.

AltoK10 will have a mileage of 20.2 kilometer per litre as per Automotive Research Association of India standards.

The company currently offers retro fitted CNG versions in Alto. Besides, it also offers dual fuel mode in M800 and Omni, which are available in LPG cum petrol variants also. Earlier WagonR was also coming with a LPG variant, but MSI stopped producing it after launching the new WagonR."

Last edited by romeomidhun : 30th July 2010 at 19:59.
Old 11th August 2010, 22:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

scoop: Launch on 13th AUG..

new tech will be called i-GPI technology..
Old 11th August 2010, 22:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

What is Maruti's game plan here? CNG is not available in many places, what about them? Are they trying to retain market shares by concentrating only at select locations? Lack of own Diesel engine is costing MSIL a lot. A lot.
Old 12th August 2010, 14:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

interesting to see the price of CNG SX4 after the Vento prices are launched. OR may be CNG SX4 is never a competition to Vento (petrol or diesel)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks