Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 14:59   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
The 1368cc normally aspirated and the 1368 force induced block are similar, but not the same.

The cams, crank, con rods, pistons and ancillaries are very much different.

The T-Jet and the 1.3 M-Jet turbos are different and can't be used on both engines.
That will mean lot more work. Not that straightforward I believe.
Old 19th August 2010, 16:51   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1368cc normally aspirated and the 1368 force induced block are similar, but not the same.

The cams, crank, con rods, pistons and ancillaries are very much different.

The T-Jet and the 1.3 M-Jet turbos are different and can't be used on both engines.
Do you have any first hand experience with this 1.4 TJet (On Linea preferred) ? How is the engine and performance on a similar weighing car as Linea?
Old 19th August 2010, 21:04   #183
BHPian

Turbocharger or Supercharger??

Just a point -
Wouldnt that be a Supercharger, not a Turbocharger? - since its a petrol engine that is??
Old 19th August 2010, 21:46   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Just a point -
Wouldnt that be a Supercharger, not a Turbocharger? - since its a petrol engine that is??
You could have a TC on a petrol block!
Old 19th August 2010, 21:58   #185
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Do you have any first hand experience with this 1.4 TJet (On Linea preferred) ? How is the engine and performance on a similar weighing car as Linea?
We haven't got the Linea in the UK. The Linea is a GP with a boot, which doesn'T make a lot of difference. The engine is not bad in terms of pull, but nothing to bragg about either. It has quite some tuning capability and this is what most people come to me for. It is certainly better than a lot of the Hondas in the same class. The T-Jet engine derived from the FIRE engines that are being built for a long time (1986). The FIRE engines were ground braking in their hay days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Just a point -
Fiat does not use super charger in the current line of cars.

It would be to expensive.
Old 19th August 2010, 23:14   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The T-Jet engine derived from the FIRE engines that are being built for a long time (1986). The FIRE engines were ground braking in their hay days.
OT Trivia: IIRC, the 1.1 liter FIRE being used in 750 Formula dates back to 1983
True, they were known to be pretty reliable and cheaper to maintain.
Old 19th August 2010, 23:41   #187
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
OT Trivia: IIRC, the 1.1 liter FIRE being used in 750 Formula dates back to 1983
True, they were known to be pretty reliable and cheaper to maintain.
The 1.1 came about 10 years later and was added to the range with the 1.2. At the same time they withdrew the 769cc FIRE. The M-Jet engine derived from the FIRE and the 1.4 is the same block as the 1.2 with just a bigger bore.

The 1108cc is very reliable. I have on in my daily runabout, which is a slow project and has covered over 210k kilometers and is still going strong with no loss of compression.
Old 20th August 2010, 00:07   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.1 came about 10 years later and was added to the range with the 1.2. At the same time they withdrew the 769cc FIRE. The M-Jet engine derived from the FIRE and the 1.4 is the same block as the 1.2 with just a bigger bore.

The 1108cc is very reliable. I have on in my daily runabout, which is a slow project and has covered over 210k kilometers and is still going strong with no loss of compression.
I guess that would be the single point injection version of the 1.1 FIRE - it was intro'd in 1993. An 8v carb existed before 1984, as far as I remember from a facebook group (I exited FB long back!).

210k KM is a lot!!! It would be interesting to see the maximum road covered by a car in Indian conditions. I just came back from a 6 KM drive to a suburb that took me more than 1.5 hours of pot-holed / non-existent roads and crazy traffic jams coz of morons who do not wait behind a vehicle in traffic but decide to come up the wrong way! Am sure the clutch in my Getz CRDi would become as hard as a rock if I lived anywhere in that area

EDIT: Found a Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_I...botised_Engine

Last edited by ph03n!x : 20th August 2010 at 00:09.
Old 20th August 2010, 01:19   #189
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I guess that would be the single point injection version of the 1.1 FIRE - it was intro'd in 1993. An 8v carb existed before 1984, as far as I remember from a facebook group (I exited FB long back!).

210k KM is a lot!!! It would be interesting to see the maximum road covered by a car in Indian conditions. I just came back from a 6 KM drive to a suburb that took me more than 1.5 hours of pot-holed / non-existent roads and crazy traffic jams coz of morons who do not wait behind a vehicle in traffic but decide to come up the wrong way! Am sure the clutch in my Getz CRDi would become as hard as a rock if I lived anywhere in that area

EDIT: Found a Wiki link: Fully Integrated Robotised Engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia quote on the engine is not correct. The FIRE engine was designed from 1980 with Peugeot, but at a later stage the companies went different ways. The 769 and the 999 were launched in 1986, The 1108 appeared in 1989.

The engine related to is the 1116, which was fitted to the Uno 60 as it was called in Europe. Some people confuse the two engines. They are very much different in design.

Last edited by CPH : 20th August 2010 at 01:27.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:33   #190
BHPian

When is the launch for Linea T-Jet?

Why there is a sudden silence on Linea T-jet launch?
Any probable dates? colours?
In fact I am waiting for blue color in Linea.
Hope FIAT launches blue colour in T-jet as well as in 1.4P/1.3D models also.
Anybody having inside news from FIAT?

Last edited by Fiat&Me : 30th August 2010 at 23:35.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:37   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Well you must know by now that we *people* are not as naturally gifted as yourself
Well in that case I guess you've mentioned the one gift that you have at the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I dont have any problems with state of tune in Brazil or Europe. Nor do I have a problem with detuning cars for Indian fuel. What I have aprehentions about is, why does Fiat India in particular detune to this extent that too on a car like Linea with high kerb weight.

The ANHC globally (NA notwithstanding) comes in tune of around 120 bhp max, we get around 116 odd, fine. The Fiat on the contrary is 10 horses less??? If it was a 150 bhp engine it would have been fine. But 10 horses less for a 120 bhp engine simply doesnt cut it. Honda will still own the flag of having the most horses whereas Fiat's so called performance petrol sedan, no matter what the torque figures are, would still fall short in outright power.... And this is a performance sedan???

Now I dont know how much of an expert you are or not when it comes to automobile engines but are you trying to imply that if Honda knocks down 4 BHP for India then that is the golden rule that everyone else must follow here and Fiat did a 6 under par so we just write it off even before it's out as its gone overboard in detuning it for India! As far as I'm concerned I'm just waiting to see the performance of T-Jet once its out and I feel you should hold onto to your bucks before betting your all on ANHC. And I dont know; maybe ANHC would still be faster in 0-100 dash, maybe not, so lets just wait before just rubbishing T-Jet off.
Old 1st September 2010, 17:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Now I dont know how much of an expert you are or not when it comes to automobile engines but are you trying to imply that if Honda knocks down 4 BHP for India then that is the golden rule that everyone else must follow here and Fiat did a 6 under par so we just write it off even before it's out as its gone overboard in detuning it for India! As far as I'm concerned I'm just waiting to see the performance of T-Jet once its out and I feel you should hold onto to your bucks before betting your all on ANHC. And I dont know; maybe ANHC would still be faster in 0-100 dash, maybe not, so lets just wait before just rubbishing T-Jet off.

+1 to that! Also, its the torque figures and the torque band that affect acceleration, not the power alone!!
Old 1st September 2010, 19:57   #193
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
+1 to that! Also, its the torque figures and the torque band that affect acceleration, not the power alone!!
+1 to that. Acceleration depends more on the torque figures and the top speed achievable depends on the maximum power output.

The launch has been dragging on for a while now. I hope we will get to see the T-Jet this month at least. Waiting for the performance comparison between the T-Jet and the City.

Last edited by UKR : 1st September 2010 at 20:16.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:09   #194
BHPian

Called the Toll free number just now to enquire about any new launches. They confirm the launch of 1.4 TJet for Linea by 2010, but refuse to give away details of which month it would be launched. I however, do have one of the dealer's manager for Sales mentioning that the T Jet would be launched in September.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:23   #195
Senior - BHPian

The launch has been postponed to beginning of October in the wake of festive season. Good timing, but the car needs heavy marketing to become a success. Fiat sales have crashed badly in august 2010 with just 1800 odd units.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed