Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 02:51   #316
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I do not understand why people are complaining about the 0-100 timing of 12 secs. How many of them actually do that in real life?? People buy a car according to their needs. If the linea T-jet suits your need buy it, if the city suits you buy it. You cannot judge a car merely on its 0-100 timing. There is no perfect car. At last fiat listened to its customers and brought in what was needed. Now over to fiat to further improve the ownership experience.
Performance along with ride and handling is the USP of this car. I have not seen any car in the segment show this balance (maybe fiesta).
I do and so do all my clients who came to me to make the T-jet move. And many others go to see my competitors (we are friendly with each other).

Regarding the engine the customers wanted Fiat did not listen to, which would be the 1.6 M-Jet, which is much better on fuel and is a much punchier engine with a torque level the T-Jet struggles to match even in Abarth SS trim.
Old 24th September 2010, 06:19   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
I do and so do all my clients who came to me to make the T-jet move. And many others go to see my competitors (we are friendly with each other).

Regarding the engine the customers wanted Fiat did not listen to, which would be the 1.6 M-Jet, which is much better on fuel and is a much punchier engine with a torque level the T-Jet struggles to match even in Abarth SS trim.
Well I think it really doesn't make a difference whether the 0-100 timing is 10 or 12 secs(11.14secs) in the Indian context. There are many people in India who would consider only petrol. I was talking about those. Linea would probably do much better if they got the 1.6 M-jet and I would definitely buy it over the T-jet.
Unless someone participates in drag racing, I dont see any significant difference in everyday driving. I think we are going off-topic here and also we should await GTO's review.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:28   #318
BHPian

Hi CPH, can you also shed some light on the possibility of T-Jet engine's compatibility with CNG kit.
I personally believe after diesel, CNG is going to be the fuel that drives India. (MUL has foreseen this)
Old 24th September 2010, 12:17   #319
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Well I think it really doesn't make a difference whether the 0-100 timing is 10 or 12 secs(11.14secs) in the Indian context. There are many people in India who would consider only petrol. I was talking about those. Linea would probably do much better if they got the 1.6 M-jet and I would definitely buy it over the T-jet.
Unless someone participates in drag racing, I dont see any significant difference in everyday driving. I think we are going off-topic here and also we should await GTO's review.
I don't think you are right on this. The people expect a car with punch, which was voiced throughout the thread and the Linea T-Jet is not delivering it. I have driven enough of them and was not at all impressed by the European spec T-Jet that seems to be much quicker and neither by more powerful versions. I can't call it a hot car.

I observe the development very carefully on the Indian market (I have to admit for commercial reasons) and can see that an increasing amount of people want to have cars that perform much better. And Fiat will have to address it if it wants to play on the performance car string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
Hi CPH, can you also shed some light on the possibility of T-Jet engine's compatibility with CNG kit.
I personally believe after diesel, CNG is going to be the fuel that drives India. (MUL has foreseen this)
The engine is compatible, but the ECU will need proper mapping accordingly as otherwise the engine could suffer destruction when driven hard.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:32   #320
Senior - BHPian

Is there a change in the gearbox for T-jet, or is Fiat using the same one that is used in regular Linea? Any changes in the gear ratios?
Old 24th September 2010, 12:49   #321
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Is there a change in the gearbox for T-jet, or is Fiat using the same one that is used in regular Linea? Any changes in the gear ratios?
Gearbox is different.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:45   #322
BHPian

Looks like the performance of the T-jet is not to the satisfaction of many. Some compares it with Fiat's earlier hot hatch (GTX), but forget that even the GTX had a 0-100 figures of 12 secs. Now, how many of those complaining about performance even considered buying a GTX when it was being sold? How many would even buy a T-jet Linea if it does 0-100 in 10 secs? After cribbing here about how bad-performing a FIAT is, they would go and happily buy a dZire.

I'd say, finally the true FIAT fan has got the car of his dreams. But, again, this one will sell a 1000 units max. FIAT, better got out of this country.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:46   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
I don't think you are right on this. The people expect a car with punch, which was voiced throughout the thread and the Linea T-Jet is not delivering it. I have driven enough of them and was not at all impressed by the European spec T-Jet that seems to be much quicker and neither by more powerful versions. I can't call it a hot car.
Worry not, punch would be there with all that low down torque. And regarding the car being slow, can you please tell me how many cars below 10 lakhs are faster than T-Jet???
Old 24th September 2010, 14:17   #324
Senior - BHPian

I have driven both the Linea Petrol Emotion and the ANHC. Absolutely uncomparable performance. Honda City is simply on a different planet. But but but...
If Fiat Linea seriously comes with a turbo-charged engine with all that mouth-watering torque, then at last we have some very serious competition to Honda City with VW Vento on one side and Linea T-jet on the other.

I just hope they improve the interior quality on the T-jet. And most importantly, the After Sales Service experience. Its really annoying right now. Like someone rightly said somewhere in this thread, its a risk getting the T-jet serviced at the Tata-Fiat service center. Can not be sure if the technicians will be really technically literate enough to service such a complicated engine.

I am waiting for the launch...desperately.

P.S.: I am completely floored by the VW Vento Diesel.
Old 24th September 2010, 14:53   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, how many of those complaining about performance even considered buying a GTX when it was being sold? How many would even buy a T-jet Linea if it does 0-100 in 10 secs? After cribbing here about how bad-performing a FIAT is, they would go and happily buy a dZire.
Ha ha! I almost fell off my chair laughing. This is sooooo..TRUE! I am going to state one controversial fact: Us Indians tend to OVER -RATE anything that HONDA does, and UNER -RATE anything that FIAT does. A lot of people crib about Fiat products (at times without having first hand idea of the products and mostly with prejudiced opinions anyway!), going way over the top.

Quote:
I have driven enough of them and was not at all impressed by the European spec T-Jet that seems to be much quicker and neither by more powerful versions. I can't call it a hot car.
Fair enough! I trust when you say this. BTW, have you driven ANHC? Considering ANHC will be T-Jet's chief competitor, how's the performance compared to ANHC?
Old 24th September 2010, 15:05   #326
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Worry not, punch would be there with all that low down torque. And regarding the car being slow, can you please tell me how many cars below 10 lakhs are faster than T-Jet???
I have driven enough of them and can't that it would have the punch.

Take the Fiesta and add the Ford approved Mountune add ons and it is a much better (and faster) package.
Old 24th September 2010, 15:34   #327
BHPian

Many thanks for the clarification CPH.

For Sidindica : "You have mentioned that the AC is a new rotary type & the pastics are even better/improved" & CPH Mentions "Gearbox is different" (Better??) Does this mean that these two+1 improvements would also be integrated in the existing Non T-Jet lineas. For me power is not a major issue but AC & Quality interiors is a deal breaker.

But Yes! if FIAT finds the pricing sweet-spot for T-jet than the choice would be obvious (50K premuim for Better Power, Better AC, Better? Gearbox & Better Plastics). ....Oh forgot Better FE.

Also read that T-jet would be only for Dynamic & not for Active & Emotion, is this because of production constraint or FIAT is making T-Jet exclusive? Would love to see & possibly acquire T-jet in Emotion trim.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:41   #328
BHPian

I would think that the interior updates would be made in all the cars and not only the Tjets considering that the tools and dies for the cars would be the same. any changes in plastics cannot be made without changing the basic moulds (i think).

There is also news that a cleaner/revamped interior to take care of complaints is in the offing from November onwards and this is confirmed news.

I cant wait for October 8th for the launch !

cheers
vinay sambaragimath
Old 24th September 2010, 17:12   #329
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
Does this mean that these two+1 improvements would also be integrated in the existing Non T-Jet lineas.

The T-Jet box derived from the Strada, which is much stronger than the normally aspirated FIRE gearboxes. They would not use the box in the n/a versions as they are more expensive to produce.

Same over here in Europe.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:21   #330
BHPian

Quote:
I would think that the interior updates would be made in all the cars and not only the Tjets considering that the tools and dies for the cars would be the same. any changes in plastics cannot be made without changing the basic moulds (i think).
True for plastics, but its possible that FIAT uses older moulds for non t-jet models, but yes it does not make sense as they can get better economies of scale by using single mould than two seperate moulds. (Time taken to load and unload a mould on injection moulding machine is huge).
But what about Rotary AC and new Gear Box ??

Quote:
There is also news that a cleaner/revamped interior to take care of complaints is in the offing from November onwards and this is confirmed news.
You mean a completely new design, can you please elaborate?? I doubt that can be done only for India, there are international standardisations done to reduce costs. (Both design costs & mould costs)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed