Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 17:15   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda offers 4 years / 100,000 KM warranty. Called "Skoda Shield"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
As far as i understand you need to continue with Bajaj Allianz for 4 years of warranty period.
Thanks.
Now, that's precisely the problem.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:42   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I had purchased my Yeti in the month of Dec-2010 and had also availed of the extended warranty.
Only in the first year, the Bajaj Allianz Zero-Dep policy insurance is mandatory, as it clubbed with the extended warranty price and 1 year roadside assistance. From subsequent years, you are free to take any third party insurance. The extended warranty would continue irrespective of the insurance company. The type of the policy which you take is also up to you (zero-dep or normal).

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:43   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Everyone,

I had purchased my Yeti in the month of Dec-2010 and had also availed of the extended warranty.
Only in the first year, the Bajaj Allianz Zero-Dep policy insurance is mandatory, as it clubbed with the extended warranty price and 1 year roadside assistance. From subsequent years, you are free to take any third party insurance. The extended warranty would continue irrespective of the insurance company. The type of the policy which you take is also up to you (zero-dep or normal).

Regards,
Behemoth
Interesting! Probably i stand corrected. Will check with my dealer and reconfirm.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:19   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Everyone,

Regards,
Behemoth
Thank you.
This is a wonderful news.

And if you sell the car within the first 4 years, is the extended warranty transferrable to the new owner?
Old 12th January 2013, 12:32   #80
BHPian

The Twist:

Here is a Mail that i recently sent to SAIPL regarding warranty terms:

The warranty Booklet states that Through its authorized dealers, SKODA provides 2 years warranty for new vehicles from the date of sale with no mileage limits. The extended warranty terms State : Extended Warranty is an extension of the new car warranty offered by SKODA Auto India and increases the coverage by two years or up to 1,00,000 Kms over the standard warranty.

My Doubt is if i drive my car for say 75000 Kms in Year 1 and another 75000 Kms in year 2, i would have done 1,50,000 Kms at the end of the Standard Warranty Period. So would the EW be for 1,50,000 + 1,00,000 Kms = 2,50,000 KMS ?

and here is the reply i get:

Dear Mr. Gonsalves,

This is in line with below mail for the extended warranty query raised by you regarding the clarification on extended warranty.

The term extended warranty shall be applicable for the 3rd and 4th year or Up to 1,00,000 kms from date of handover / delivery of new car to the customer whichever is earlier.

That means if a customer at the end of normal warranty (2years) has drove the vehicle to 1,50,000 kms, the extended warranty will end as the vehicle has already crossed 1,00,000 kms.

Hope your doubt is cleared on the same with understanding and assuring our best services at all times.

Thanks & Regards,

Mukul Borkar | After sales
Skoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.,
A 605, ICC Towers, S B Road,Pune, India.
HQ- A1/1, Five Star MIDC, Shendra, Aurangabad 431201, India

My Points / Observations:

1. Standard warranty is for Unlimited Mileage or two years. A customers buys EW (enters into a contract on the basis of the representation that it will be in force after the standard warranty). In Such a case, if the customer crosses 1 Lakh Kms in Two Years, Shouldnt the Manufacturer refund the EW charges collected ?

2. if the clarification put forth by the SAIPL Representative is to be accepted then you should run your vehicle for just 25K kms in a year.

3. Unlimited mileage in two years (std. Warranty), but cap of 100,000 Kms in 4 Years (EW) . Sounds Pretty ridiculous!

4. The EW terms in such a case are misleading as the Company is not bound to honour the EW if you cross 100,000 Kms in two Years!
Old 12th January 2013, 12:41   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This Skoda Shield Extended Warranty is valid for 4 years or 100000 Kms whichever comes earlier.

My Scorpio came with a base level warranty of 50K Kms or two years.

When the vehicle was hitting the 2 year mark, I went and bought the Extended Warranty for 2 more years + 50K more Kms.

Effectively in my observation most of the extended warranties sold with vehicles here in India conform to the above standard terms.

I generally cannot manage to do more than 13-15K Kms per annum, so at the end of 4 years of ownership, I normally end up doing only 60K Kms.

The standard terms work for me.

However, I do not understand why the Booklet talks about "unlimited mileage" etc - I would like to get to the bottom of that as Sunil has pointed out.
Old 12th January 2013, 13:00   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
The Twist:

Here is a Mail that i recently sent to SAIPL regarding warranty terms:

The warranty Booklet states that Through its authorized dealers, SKODA provides 2 years warranty for new vehicles from the date of sale with no mileage limits. The extended warranty terms State : Extended Warranty is an extension of the new car warranty offered by SKODA Auto India and increases the coverage by two years or up to 1,00,000 Kms over the standard warranty.

Hi Sunil,

I don't think there is any ambiguity in the EW terms. An extension of 2 years over SW of 2years and a cap of 1 lac kms is a fair deal IMO for what we paid.

If one expects to do 50,000 kms or even 40,000 kms in a year, it makes no sense to go for EW. Simple as that. THe question is how many people have that kind of running?

Quote:
Standard warranty is for Unlimited Mileage or two years. A customers buys EW (enters into a contract on the basis of the representation that it will be in force after the standard warranty). In Such a case, if the customer crosses 1 Lakh Kms in Two Years, Shouldnt the Manufacturer refund the EW charges collected ?
These warranty packages work like insurance. The insurance company does not refund the premium if there is no claim, does it?

Moreover whether to take the EW package is the customer's choice. Nobody is forcing him to take

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th January 2013 at 13:01.
Old 12th January 2013, 13:13   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The standard terms work for me.

However, I do not understand why the Booklet talks about "unlimited mileage" etc - I would like to get to the bottom of that as Sunil has pointed out.
The standard Terms work for me too, but i came across a yeti that has done 56000 Kms in 9 months and hence i got this question in mind.

Yes the booklet talks about unlimited mileage as well as the website. so this question came to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Hi Sunil,

I don't think there is any ambiguity in the EW terms. An extension of 2 years over SW of 2years and a cap of 1 lac kms is a fair deal IMO for what we paid.

If one expects to do 50,000 kms or even 40,000 kms in a year, it makes no sense to go for EW. Simple as that. THe question is how many people have that kind of running?

These warranty packages work like insurance. The insurance company does not refund the premium if there is no claim, does it?

Moreover whether to take the EW package is the customer's choice. Nobody is forcing him to take
Santhosh there is ambiguity. the Standard warranty speaks of 2 Years or unlimited mileage, whereas extended warranty speaks of 4 years or 1 lakh Kms Over the standard Warranty.

The reason for posting was due to a hypothetical thought which came to my mind.

The insurance company does not refund premium in case of no claims, but rewards you with a No Claim Bonus. also it gives you a choice of cancelling the insurance and obtaining refund and choosing some other insurer.

The customers choice to take or leave extended warranty is till he takes delivery of the car. once he takes delivery, he cannot buy extended warranty.

so effectively if a customer does not anticipate to cover 1 lakh Kms, he will take an EW, but if he takes an EW, but then somehow does cross 1 Lakh kms then what happens to their 'unlimited mileage' Standard warranty terms ?
Old 12th January 2013, 13:30   #84
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Santhosh there is ambiguity. the Standard warranty speaks of 2 Years or unlimited mileage, whereas extended warranty speaks of 4 years or 1 lakh Kms Over the standard Warranty.

f a customer does not anticipate to cover 1 lakh Kms, he will take an EW, but if he takes an EW, but then somehow does cross 1 Lakh kms then what happens to their 'unlimited mileage' Standard warranty terms ?
The ambiguity is clearly there based on the words 'unlimited mileage'.
I am not able to understand why such a statement is made in the booklet but contradicted in practice.
Old 12th January 2013, 13:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The extended warranty terms State : Extended Warranty is an extension of the new car warranty offered by SKODA Auto India and increases the coverage by two years or up to 1,00,000 Kms over the standard warranty.
To me the Extended warranty terms clearly show that its provisions are in excess of standard warranty terms. So, standard warranty covers 2 years and unlimited mileage. From a reading of the underlined section, it seems EW must cover +2 years and +100k km from the time of start of EW.
Maybe its a mistake Skoda did in the terms, but that is how it stands ?
Old 12th January 2013, 14:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The ambiguity is clearly there based on the words 'unlimited mileage'.
I am not able to understand why such a statement is made in the booklet but contradicted in practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
To me the Extended warranty terms clearly show that its provisions are in excess of standard warranty terms. So, standard warranty covers 2 years and unlimited mileage. From a reading of the underlined section, it seems EW must cover +2 years and +100k km from the time of start of EW.
Maybe its a mistake Skoda did in the terms, but that is how it stands ?
Exactly thats what i mean. The Terms used 'Unlimited Mileage' and 'Over the Standard warranty' are very clear and not ambiguous in anyway. to tell a customer who has crossed 100,000 KMs in two years that he doesnt have coverage, inspite of him having the EW Certificate with him, when he goes for a claim under EW is like declaring a batsman out before he reaches the pitch from the pavilion!

I want to Be very clear, I do not want to Nitpick or start a Skoda Hate Game Here. I love Skoda cars, both the Yeti and The Fabia are simply Perfect at the price points i have got them. I respect the guys from SAIPL and the Service Support Provided by SAIPL for they have been very courteous and have replied to all my queries. (The A.S.S. is not being referred here). Till date i am a happy customer, but such mistakes (intended or unintended) will make a person turn from 'Happy' to 'Unhappy' when he gets the feeling of being shortchanged.

Also its not that difficult to rake up 50K kms in a year. Mangalore and Manipal are 75 Kms away. Up and Down time is about 75 Minutes one way. so 150 Kms a day, X 365 would make it 50K plus Kms in a Year!

Also if the Warranty terms are to be read as 100,000 Kms from the date of Purchase, its like Skoda candidly telling you 'Boss our cars are not reliable. Just do 25K Kms in a year and not more'

Last edited by Sunilrj : 12th January 2013 at 14:05.
Old 12th January 2013, 14:41   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly thats what i mean. The Terms used 'Unlimited Mileage' and 'Over the Standard warranty' are very clear and not ambiguous in anyway. to tell a customer who has crossed 100,000 KMs in two years that he doesnt have coverage, inspite of him having the EW Certificate with him, when he goes for a claim under EW is like declaring a batsman out before he reaches the pitch from the pavilion!

Also if the Warranty terms are to be read as 100,000 Kms from the date of Purchase, its like Skoda candidly telling you 'Boss our cars are not reliable. Just do 25K Kms in a year and not more'
Nice analogy. But there is something called timed out in cricket also. i.e if the batsman reaches the pitch late. Here I think the batsman has hit a century before coming on the pitch. So he is out!

Jokes apart, for a company to give unlimited warranty for a period of four years is a too great a risk. When they are saying unlimited mileage warranty for two years, basically they are banking on the fact that the average running in two years for an Indian buyer would be xxxx kms. It is very unlikely that people rack up say 1.50 lakh kms in this period. So their risk of part failure is lower. In four years this figure will be 2xxxx kms. And add to that greater risk of parts failing in the later kms. I view the EW as comforting feeling that I need not worry about expensive repairs for four years or 1 lakh kms. For a price of Rs. 18k odd, I took it without any second thoughts.

Companies normally give unilimited mileage warranty mostly when they need to win back customer confidence or to make inroads into a new market as the brand recognition is not there. For eg : Skoda can come out with a unlimited mileage warranty on their DSGs. I think their EW programme has been successful in winning them many customers, yours truly included

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th January 2013 at 14:46.
Old 12th January 2013, 14:56   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
for a company to give unlimited warranty for a period of four years is a too great a risk. When they are saying unlimited mileage warranty for two years, basically they are banking on the fact that the average running in two years for an Indian buyer would be xxxx kms.

Companies normally give unilimited mileage warranty mostly when they need to win back customer confidence or to make inroads into a new market as the brand recognition is not there. For eg : Skoda can come out with a unlimited mileage warranty on their DSGs. I think their EW programme has been successful in winning them many customers, yours truly included
yes the EW programme has been successful in winning them many customers, but a the same time it appears that they have had a foot in the mouth disease like the present day policiticans and god men when they drafted the warranty terms with words like 'unlimited mileage' and 'over the standard warranty' they have entered into a contract and they cannot go back on their words now by saying 'quoted out of context' or 'wrongly quoted'. if they do change the warranty terms to '4 years or 1 Lakh Kms from date of delivery' that will be applicable to contracts entered into after this date of Change.

As regards what they had in Mind, what they were banking upon is immaterial IMHO as what is stated by them isnt a Law which has to be interpreted by a court of Law under the Statutes of Interpretation. (even here the law Stands that the statute should be interpreted in a way that is beneficial to the Assessee / Citizen and not the Government or Law Makers)

Here is something that is put in black and white, Promised and sale completed. In order words Parties to the Contract have agreed to the terms of the Contract. also if you check the EW certificate it mentions EW Period 2 years, EW Kilometre limit : 100,000 Kms. it does not mention KM Limit as 100,000.

I guess Skoda should own up to this goof up and give us the benefit of Unlimited Kms + 100,000 Kms Warranty. Period!

Last edited by Sunilrj : 12th January 2013 at 14:59.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 15:31   #89
BHPian

Hi

I called my dealer for EW and I have been told that I cannot take extended warranty as I didn't take the first year insurance from them! Is it necessary to take the insurance from them for the first year? I did not find this stipulation on their website in the skoda shield section! Please clarify this so that if need be I can take up this issue with the SAIPL people
Old 10th May 2013, 06:14   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Hi

I called my dealer for EW and I have been told that I cannot take extended warranty as I didn't take the first year insurance from them! Is it necessary to take the insurance from them for the first year? I did not find this stipulation on their website in the skoda shield section! Please clarify this so that if need be I can take up this issue with the SAIPL people
The SKoda Shield is a cross subsidized product, which is bundled with the first year Insurance. it is offered by SKoda Through Bajaj Allianz. Hence it is necessary to take the warranty, along with the Bajaj Allianz Insurance.

Though in my Humble Opinion, Making a customer buy insurance from a Particular Insurer is against the ethos of Consumer's right to choose, since it is a cross subsidized product, on the lines of an insurance, where Bajaj Alianz is covering a risk of part failure in Year 3 and 4, and the Skoda Shield document on their website clearly states that it is Basic Insurance for Year 1+ EW for Year 3 & 4 i dont think you would be able to force them to give you an extended warranty.

the document is attached ---->skoda-shield.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks