Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2011, 15:10   #46
BHPian

re: Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?

I think most such cars as are discussed here have only one factor which is smaller than their four seater siblings - shorter length, at the most by 0.75m. In some cases they are quite wide, as in the case of IQ3 discussed here. So if the width is the same as regular cars, the only major impact will be in parking and not much in driving.

Even though the back row is used very occasionally, most people here would go for it, given the very low marginal utility of a shorter body and almost same prices.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

The question is how many Indians will buy it?

What! a 1 Lac car and only two seater?
Gawd, you could've bought Nano for that much with 4 seats!
Or at 40K you could've bought a Hero Honda for two seat!!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:52   #48
BHPian

Recently I came across Hyundai's Concept GB ( 2 seater car ). when contacted Hyundai customer care, they said "We would like to inform you that as of now, we have no plan to launch any such model soon / in future."

[ Source : Hyundai Small Car Concept GB, Review, Price, Hyundai Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants ]
deadman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2011, 18:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The question is how many Indians will buy it?

What! a 1 Lac car and only two seater?
Gawd, you could've bought Nano for that much with 4 seats!
Or at 40K you could've bought a Hero Honda for two seat!!
Actually, it will hit a market not attended to by any car manufacturer. For example, if an ikon is shrunk to a two seater styled like a coupe, costing about 3L, with of course better performance numbers because of the size and weight reduction, I would consider it over say an Alto or Spark in the same price range, for clear reasons - I'd rather buy better performance than two extra seats.

Last edited by Ikonik : 25th January 2011 at 18:21.
Ikonik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2011, 19:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

We have to analyse why we want a two seater

1. Cost. Then most 2 seaters are expensive. In fact if you push back the front seats and fold the rear seats, my Alto K10 is an excellent two seater!

2. Footprint. Again most two seaters are large. Even the cars discussed are barely 600mm shorter than the Alto and Santro so reducing footprint is not achieved much.

3. Requirement.

In India, for most of us, the car we buy is the only one we will have for a long time. So we have to think a lot before acquiring one. A classic 2 seater is mostly a second or third car in the family, rarely the only one. Hence the demand will be very low, till the affluence rises to a level where people think of acquiring an additional vehicle for a specific purpose (as opposed to general purpose). Think about it, in a nation of a billion persons how many have a car let alone a second car.

If you want a cheaper and smaller car then nothing beats a Nano, it does not matter that it is a 4 seater, it satisfies all the criteria.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:01   #51
BHPian

I agree with TheARUN, Recently i have been at mumbai thakur village (Kandivali) where i have seen nano in parking lot with benz, bmw, city, innova! parking slot cost itself 5 lac! flat start from 1 crore +. damn, me. After seeing that, now i'm thinking 'why not nano' which is safer than bike or scooter. I even had swift, i10 before. I was looking for 2 seater car, which is yet to come. so i think nano is the best option as of now.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

My Dad has been driving a REVA for more than 5 years now and trust me, it was one of the good decisions that we made. It runs like a dream and unlike what others think, its not costly.

We got one that was 5 years old and a genuine 10,000 kms on the odometer. It was used by a lady to drop her kid off to play-school and she had to sell it since kid grew up and now used the school bus. Their other car was an ACCORD and they live in a house that costed a crore upwards. All this gave us peace of mind that we were buying a well looked after piece.

Most important thing, we picked it up for 1,25,000. A truly 1 lakh car if you ask me

Moral of the story: There are deals to be had out there, we only have to look around
Old 9th February 2011, 15:49   #53
BHPian

An even cheaper version of TATA nano can be possible.
Just 2 front doors no seats at rear ( may be a child seat only at rear ) , shortened length of vehicle.
FE increment by around 20% , Cost decrement by 20K.
I will buy such car
ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2011, 10:29   #54
BHPian

Re: Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
An even cheaper version of TATA nano can be possible.
Just 2 front doors no seats at rear ( may be a child seat only at rear ) , shortened length of vehicle.
FE increment by around 20% , Cost decrement by 20K.
I will buy such car
As petrol price going north, this concept may hit as most of Indians looking for mileage, less service charge, low price. In this condition Diesel engine may give 50- 70kmpl. Tata just need to advertise it perfectly as they have done now.

Last edited by deadman : 10th February 2011 at 10:30.
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:38   #55
BHPian

I loved this topic always.
I would bet why car makers wont love to chop of many kilos off their chassis, frame, seats and attachments by designing a car of sub Nano size and make it run 40 kms to a liter? And my wild guess is while economies of scale wont allow a 2 seater car to be made cheap in India, only a sub size Nano as an option from TATAs can exist; as a sportier appealing sibling of the Nano, a second car for a family and a college going car for girls who want a safer ride; all this priced a few thousands cheaper than the nano.
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:53   #56
BANNED

Xylo was chopped to create quanto.
Quanto can be further chopped to create a 2 seater SUV.
I wonder how would it look. On hard acceleration it would fall on it's back and on braking would fall, head on.
But, would be a nano of SUV's and has potential to create a new segment altogether.
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:29   #57
BHPian

India could be a big market for ultra compact cars, provided such products are positioned as efficient, cool, urban mobility vehicles, also, ultra compact is suitable platform to introduce alternative propulsion. The form factor of Narrow Track Vehicles stands out now rather than conventional hatchbacks.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:48   #58
BHPian

I hope some day TATA check this and try to build such cute car

source: http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...cle4782240.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-th05_nano_3_1476604f.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2015, 12:02   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Xylo was chopped to create quanto.
Quanto can be further chopped to create a 2 seater SUV.
I wonder how would it look. On hard acceleration it would fall on it's back and on braking would fall, head on.
l

However on the contrary, leave aside a 2 seater, the way things are moving, I won't be surprised if someone takes the Nano and puts a third row in the boot and makes it a 6-7 seater! Like GO+!
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:03   #60
BANNED

Going by current solutions (ingenuity) car makers in our country are resorting to, it won't be long when two wheeler manufacturers would also come up with their own 4/6 seater bikes or short wheelbase single seater bikes. Would open up completely new segment IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks