Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:42   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
^^ I think the only point that Adi was trying to make was that a lot of people on the forum seem to be booking (or thinking about booking) without a test-drive, and that is risky.

As far as that point is concerned, it is 100% correct. Don't book or buy without a test drive, doesn't matter if it's a Merc, BMW or a Nano.
Thanks for clarifying Amartya, that's exactly what I meant to say.
I sincerely hope that Polo 1.6 really turns out to be the 'hot' performance hatch in the country, which really doesn't have one today.

The specs are not the only thing to look at - The Fiesta specs are same as the Verna but look at the difference in performance. The Fiesta smokes every other car in the segment though the specs say that it is one of the least powerful!

What I was trying to say is - this car Polo 1.6 has been shrouded in mystery. I do not know of any dealership which is offering test drives for this car. What I was trying to say is - do not buy the car without a TD. Add to that, the reviews for the 1.6 petrol in Vento have not been so great that one should buy the car without a TD. Even if the reviews were great, it is very risky to buy the car without a TD.

Anyways, I think the performance of this car will be good, if not great.
Cheers and best of luck to all potential owners of this car.
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:06   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
^^ I think the only point that Adi was trying to make was that a lot of people on the forum seem to be booking (or thinking about booking) without a test-drive, and that is risky.

As far as that point is concerned, it is 100% correct. Don't book or buy without a test drive, doesn't matter if it's a Merc, BMW or a Nano.
I completely agree with you. I remember GTO mentioning somewhere that doesn't matter what car you buying, nano or S class, test drive is a must. End of the day, we are putting in our hard earned money on a thing that is suppose to be a biggest purchase in a man's life after a house.
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:24   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I completely agree with you. I remember GTO mentioning somewhere that doesn't matter what car you buying, nano or S class, test drive is a must. End of the day, we are putting in our hard earned money on a thing that is suppose to be a biggest purchase in a man's life after a house.
Exactly! And who knows it better than myself. I booked the Micra without test drive but at least, I had the contract with the dealer that I will take the TD first before deciding to buy the car or not. And as it turned out, I was a bit disappointed after the TD and ended up canceling my booking. Its good that I got the money back very quickly and ended up buying the Jazz and am very happy with the jazz!
Old 24th August 2010, 10:20   #139
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I have been following each and every post of the Vento thread and I can quote you several instances of GTO's replies to very specific questions
What you are completely missing out on is relativity. Nearly every 9 lakh rupee sedan has a 100 BHP on tap. However, that's certainly NOT the case in the hatchback segment that is dominated by puny 1.2 liter engines! Compare the Polo 1.6's performance to other hatchbacks and that's where it will completely blow them away. Another example : The Toyota 1.4 D4-D will be an excellent choice for the 6.5 lakh rupee Etios, but is unimpressive in a 12 lakh rupee Altis.

I'm going to try and accommodate a test-drive of this new hot hatch in town.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you are completely missing out on is relativity. Nearly every 9 lakh rupee sedan has a 100 BHP on tap. However, that's certainly NOT the case in the hatchback segment that is dominated by puny 1.2 liter engines! Compare the Polo 1.6's performance to other hatchbacks and that's where it will completely blow them away. Another example : The Toyota 1.4 D4-D will be an excellent choice for the 6.5 lakh rupee Etios, but is unimpressive in a 12 lakh rupee Altis.

Got your point! I will wait for your test drive. The problem is - I have not found any good road tests or reviews of this car. And the VW dealers are also not offering any TD.
Neither did I get very positive vibes from your review of the petrol engine of the Vento!
When you say blow the competition away - what exactly you mean?
We can't go by the engine size always. The Punto 1.2 has 67 horses, the I10/I20 has 80, Swift has 85 and the Jazz has 90, all have the same engine size (whereas the 1.6 Polo has 105).

If you can provide some numbers ( for acceleration/driveability and outright performance) that will be helpful and substantiate your claim. I don't want to go go by what someone feels as it is very subjective. I sincerely hope and wish that the TBHp reviews should have the stats pretty soon! (Many times, I have found a lot of difference between what one feels and what the numbers tell and as you know, numbers don't lie!)
Old 24th August 2010, 15:54   #141
BHPian

Quote:

Hey GTO, now your test drive is something I have been eagerly waiting for all this time!

A bit too late for me perhaps, but I am sure it will be insightful nonetheless.

No I just don't want numbers, I just want you to tell me how you felt driving it and what its pros and cons are.
Old 24th August 2010, 16:07   #142
BHPian

Some petrolhead friendly specs from VW. The TDI is much more of a rocket.
Polo 1.6 Hatchback-untitled3.jpg

Source
Old 24th August 2010, 21:02   #143
BHPian

Quote:

GTO, please get that TD done soon.

Desperately waiting for your review to change my booking from 1.2 to 1.6 (car getting alloted next month).
Old 24th August 2010, 21:02   #144
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod : Do NOT ridicule or personally attack other forum members. WATCH THE TONE. Also, do NOT hijack the thread of every other car and try to run it down.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2010 at 16:09.
adimicra is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th August 2010, 23:15   #145
BHPian

Hey guys, I have a question I'd like to raise.
Normally one hears a lot about how a cars engine is detuned from foreign standards in India, either to improve fuel efficiency or to compensate for the lower grade petrol.
I therefore went to the VW UK site to see the horsepower for the 1.6 petrol, and was quite surprised to see there isn't a 1.6 petrol listed on the site. There is however a 1.6 TDI. It's the same state on wikipedia.
Anyone have any idea what engine they've plonked into our Indian Polo and why it isn't listed on either the VW UK site or Wikipedia.

Volkswagen Polo Mk5 - Wikipedia

Volkswagen UK Polo

Last edited by kadanaJ : 25th August 2010 at 23:19.
Old 26th August 2010, 00:34   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Hey guys, I have a question I'd like to raise.
Normally one hears a lot about how a cars engine is detuned from foreign standards in India, either to improve fuel efficiency or to compensate for the lower grade petrol.
I therefore went to the VW UK site to see the horsepower for the 1.6 petrol, and was quite surprised to see there isn't a 1.6 petrol listed on the site. There is however a 1.6 TDI. It's the same state on wikipedia.
Anyone have any idea what engine they've plonked into our Indian Polo and why it isn't listed on either the VW UK site or Wikipedia.

Volkswagen Polo Mk5 - Wikipedia

Volkswagen UK Polo
Hi,i came across the same problem as you.However i did a bit more searching and i think the it is the 1.6 R4 16v that does duty in the Indian Polo.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:42   #147
BHPian

As far as I know, the 1.6 engine offered in the Indian Polo is also available in South Africa. The VW South Africa site shows 77KW@5250 RPM (which is equal 103 Bhp), 155NM@3500 RPM and a 0-100 time of 11.3 seconds for the South African 1.6 Polo, which is close to what VW India also claims.

However, the South African 1.6 is only Euro2 compliant, whereas we have a Euro4 compliant engine in India.

Last edited by johnjacob : 26th August 2010 at 07:45.
Old 26th August 2010, 12:58   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
However, the South African 1.6 is only Euro2 compliant, whereas we have a Euro4 compliant engine in India.
does that mean our polo will have a compromise on performance in any way?
Old 29th August 2010, 13:02   #149
BHPian

The mystery about the 1.6 Polo continues. Lack of information on the VW website further complicates matters. Just wondering what the A-S-S of VW would shape up to be if the marketing department itself is so awful. Its only on Team BHP that some price info is available.
Old 29th August 2010, 14:05   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Its only on Team BHP that some price info is available.
There are prices on the dealer price list that I got at an exhibition here in Chennai several weeks ago.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks