Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 21:53   #31
Team-BHP Support

By the way, the new Verna (2011) will have 1.4 (MT/AT) and 1.6 AT.

My theory: It may be possible that Hyundai may enhance the i20 with 1.4 (100 BHP) as standard.

Then we will see the power-hatch segment heat up (100BHP hatch!
Old 2nd August 2010, 00:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

i think people should buy 1.6 polo just for sheer pleasure of its engine and its performance, and power to weight ratio!

it has a design which can be modified without any limits and dress it up nicely!

when people start asking for 'climate control' in such cars, thats where they dont understand the car itself!
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6 Hatchback-polo-1.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Hatchback-jedesignvolkswagenpolo01.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2010, 01:23   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
when people start asking for 'climate control' in such cars, thats where they dont understand the car itself!
No, it's when we're more interested in being comfortable than putting on a show.

Or, maybe... just getting old!

Or both!

By the way, the original thing about the Golf GTI, was that it looked just like a family hatchback --- as it passed everything in sight

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd August 2010 at 01:25.
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I for one, thought that the Polo range was incomplete without a 1.6, 100bhp engine option.

The main reason VW delayed the launch of this 1.6 engine should be because of mileage concerns. The 'good mileage' impression is a very important thing in the Indian market and with a 1.6 they could have spoiled the initial 'mileage' impressions of the car.

Now, an average user while talking about mileage will get a '1.2' impression, which is rather good and a true enthusiast can go for a 1.6, regardless of mileage.

Typical Indian Consumers.
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
The Polo 1.6 has similar specs to 1.2 Highline.There are no added features in the car.Wish they could have given Race specs alloys featured in Polo cup.
Thank you very much for the information, sir. Personally, I would've liked to see climate control AC, audio controls on steering + USB port and height adjustable seatbelts on the 1.6 Polo.
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

if some one wants 'good milage' buy an alto or a nano! they will give 'very good milage'!

i think VW should come out with F1 style steering wheel, with everything on it, even climate control!
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:39   #37
BHPian

What's the point in having a fantastic engine that should be a segment higher, in a car that offers interior space that's a segment lower. Beauty, class, strong bulid - all right , but C'mon 'volks', my thighs were stuck when I tested it! Yeah, well, the enthusiasts! I see your point.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
What's the point in having a fantastic engine that should be a segment higher, in a car that offers interior space that's a segment lower. Beauty, class, strong bulid - all right , but C'mon 'volks', my thighs were stuck when I tested it! Yeah, well, the enthusiasts! I see your point.
'volks' make a bigger car with a similar engine, its called Golf.

its currently being tested on roads in india, wait for it and go for it! its a segment higher and offers better space too!
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
'volks' make a bigger car with a similar engine, its called Golf.

its currently being tested on roads in india, wait for it and go for it! its a segment higher and offers better space too!
Come to think of it, the plan of 1.6 must be the reason why the Polo ended up with the puny interior. After all, with the same platform and the same engine, Skoda has managed to make the segment leader space wise in the Fabia. The Polo's nose ate up all the space, evidently to accommodate the 1.6.

As for Golf, I am not very hopeful. Even if VW does come with a bigger hatch, it can only be a badge, not the real Golf.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Acc. to Wikipedia, the 1.6 M/T (South African model) returns the following mileage
City: 5.3 L/100 km
Hwy: 9.2 L/100 km
Combined: 7.0 L/100 km

Volkswagen Polo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is like an average of 14kpl!!! Too ambitious?
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Come to think of it, the plan of 1.6 must be the reason why the Polo ended up with the puny interior. After all, with the same platform and the same engine, Skoda has managed to make the segment leader space wise in the Fabia. The Polo's nose ate up all the space, evidently to accommodate the 1.6.

As for Golf, I am not very hopeful. Even if VW does come with a bigger hatch, it can only be a badge, not the real Golf.
how many fabia 1.6 you see on road? none because it's 1.2 itself was expensive enough!

give it a serious thought as to why polo is being launched in 1.6 petrol version?

and why no Fabia 1.6 petrol was launched, despite the skoda in india for a decade?

think out of the box!
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
how many fabia 1.6 you see on road? none because it's 1.2 itself was expensive enough!

give it a serious thought as to why polo is being launched in 1.6 petrol version?

and why no Fabia 1.6 petrol was launched, despite the skoda in india for a decade?

think out of the box!
I didn't get your point. Or, perhaps, you haven't got mine!
Who's talking Fabia 1.6? My point was not why Polo is a winner, while Fabia isn't.
But there's no denying that Skoda did a better job in managing space, compared to Polo, with the same platform (Top Gear UK seems to agree). My guess, the nose of Polo was made longer with the 1.6 in mind. Skoda probably had no such plans.

PS: I never put myself in the box.

@theragingbull
Acc. to Wikipedia, the 1.6 M/T (South African model) returns the following mileage

Are the numbers correct? You mean it gives better mileage in the city!!
l

Last edited by 2cents : 2nd August 2010 at 12:22. Reason: did not notice theragingbull's post.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Mods,
Opening an new thread for Polo 1.6 hatch back .... the next hot hatch for India. Please close this thread if there is one already there which I couldn't find.

Team BHP,
As some of you might be aware already that I had booked the Polo 1.6 in mid June 2010, the first one to book from Kolkata. The dealer in Kolkata promised me Aug end delivery. A lot of us including myself were not convinced that the deliveries would start in Aug end.
However I got a call (followed by an email) from the dealer today - The introductory pricing and delivery schedule of Polo 1.6 has been announced. As it stands the price at Kokata would be as follows -

Price (Ex-Showroom Kolkata) Rs.6,16,000
Insurance Rs. 26,565
Permanent Registration Rs. 53,680
On Road Cost Rs. 6,96,245

According to the dealer my car is already in production (week 30) and should get delivered by end August.
Will start posting details and experience once I receive the delivery. Till then...
Congrats!

Pls let me know in this thread or via PM about any developments related to the Polo 1.6. I have booked mine on June 30th, so perhaps I should be getting mine a few weeks after yours.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

Volkswagen Polo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is like an average of 14kpl!!! Too ambitious?
Quite true. I am driving a POLO Classic. Sedan ver (classic) of the same with 1.6. I felt that the engine noise is more than my Fusion 1.6 at high speed like 100-120. Else its a Good car. Hope VW also launch the classic version in India.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:33   #45
BHPian

I guess Volkswagen should launch the polo in two door models. giving the rear doors as a formality does not help.
Yes, its a great car with a good pedigree, quality, ride and handling, but a rear seat space is needed, for a car costing nearly 6 lakhs on road mumbai.

Last edited by kavesh55 : 2nd August 2010 at 12:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks