Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 19:00   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
+1. No information on their website either. No specs, nothing. Do they want to sell purely by snoot value?
No its available, posting the screenshot + couple of photos i have taken
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6 Hatchback-20100812_185015.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Hatchback-p1090575.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Hatchback-p1090578.jpg  

Old 12th August 2010, 21:52   #107
Senior - BHPian

Hey vvvinod...I'm curious to know what's the kind of F.E your friend is getting with the 1.6?
Old 12th August 2010, 22:04   #108
BHPian

ARAI Certified FE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Hey vvvinod...I'm curious to know what's the kind of F.E your friend is getting with the 1.6?
The Vento 1.6 petrol has a ARAI certification of 15.8 (M/T version) and . Polo 1.6 sould be similar if not slightly better due to reduced weight (engine specs are same except for the rpm for max torque).

Assuming the same for Polo the real life city FE should be more than 12.

But let us hear it first hand from the owners
ps - I will become one next week-end .
Old 12th August 2010, 23:05   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

I will try, it might some days since he is not driving much because car is not yet registered.
Old 15th August 2010, 19:18   #110
BHPian

Booked a 1.6L Polo at VW Downtown today afternoon, now the painful waiting period of 100 days begins . It will be bye bye Swift and welcome Polo in a few months. I must say the Swift was a reliable partner for more than 5 years.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

GTO and the other senior bhpians must have their work cut out for this month!
Punto 90bhp,Alto k10,A star auto,VW vento and now a review of the polo 1.6?
Old 16th August 2010, 23:31   #112
BHPian

Vinod please tell us how the vehicle is in terms of performance and handling, would like to know how she rides, i am not much concerned about FE.

I have a 1.6 palio so am planning another 1.6 so would like to know is the polo is as good if not better than the palio.
Old 17th August 2010, 23:27   #113
BHPian

Really looking forward to hearing more about this car, especially a review by GTO or Sid.
One thing that bothers me though is how come this 1.6 l engine can be considered 'hot' when it only throws out 105 PS as compared to the 118 PS of a 1.5 ANHC.
Anyway I look at it, 105 PS seems a bit less for the engine size. Hoped for something atleast around 112-114 PS or more.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:31   #114
Senior - BHPian

Interesting point,maybe they have detuned the engine or because honda engine has variable valvle timing technology explaining its higher output?

PS:I am just thankful that there is a 105 ps hatchback in the market!

Last edited by avishar : 18th August 2010 at 00:35.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:47   #115
BHPian

The problem with Honda's is that their power delivery is very peaky and way up in the rpm band. The VW may produce less power, but I suspect it has more power and more importantly, torque at lower RPMs. Honda's can be fun if you have an open road, with no traffic, so that you can rev up the power band. For the average user, having the power available at saner rpms' is far more practical. The cool thing with the new TSI engines is that they generate a lot of torque way down in the rpm band. It is a pity that they are not being sold in the Polo/Vento in India .... yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Interesting point,maybe they have detuned the engine or because honda engine has variable valvle timing technology explaining its higher output?

PS:I am just thankful that there is a 105 ps hatchback in the market!
Old 18th August 2010, 09:00   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goacom View Post
The problem with Honda's is that their power delivery is very peaky and way up in the rpm band. The VW may produce less power, but I suspect it has more power and more importantly, torque at lower RPMs. Honda's can be fun if you have an open road, with no traffic, so that you can rev up the power band. For the average user, having the power available at saner rpms' is far more practical. The cool thing with the new TSI engines is that they generate a lot of torque way down in the rpm band. It is a pity that they are not being sold in the Polo/Vento in India .... yet.
These are engine characteristics rather than issues and depends on your driving style! For example, I normally rev the engine hard - in such a scenario, The i-vtec of Honda is a gem! But if you are like driving at 50 kmph on 5th, you may not like the Honda engines. But in that case, why do you need all the 100 horses anyway? And mind you most engines respond better in the midrange than the low rpms. And as per my experience - the low rpm response is adequate if not great! if you an enthusiast, you will not be driving at 2000 rpm anyways
What I have seen with the petrol engines from VW/Skoda etc, is - they are much more noisy/less refined. They do have decent low-end torque but they tend to lose breadth easily when you rev hard.

Last edited by adimicra : 18th August 2010 at 09:06.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:02   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
What I have seen with the petrol engines from VW/Skoda etc, is - they are much more noisy/less refined. They do have decent low-end torque but they tend to lose breadth easily when you rev hard.
Based on thre review of Vento 1.6 Petrol on various sites, it seems this 1.6 is smoother than the other VW engines. However most probably the Polo and Vento 1.6 engines are not in the same tune. The Vento specs has the highest torque at 50 rpm more than the Polo.

My Polo 1.6 has reached the dealer today. Not planning to do a PDI due to work pressure. Need the car by Saturday, so will leave office a bit early on Friday and take delivery.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2010 at 16:01. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:44   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Based on thre review of Vento 1.6 Petrol on various sites, it seems this 1.6 is smoother than the other VW engines. However most probably the Polo and Vento 1.6 engines are not in the same tune. The Vento specs has the highest torque at 50 rpm more than the Polo.
Not to dampen your spirits, but the 1.6 petrol engine from VW (in Vento) is neither refined nor powerful and does not have great drive-ability either - surprisingly all reviewers including GTO/Autocar/NDTV(Siddharth) are unanimous about it. I don't know about what other VW engines you are referring to but people are comparing mostly with the other petrol engines in this class from Honda/Maruti etc. The 50 rpm is too minor a difference to be considered IMO, the important thing might be the gearbox with different gear ratios. It might be possible that VW has tuned the Vento for FE whereas the Polo 1.6 might have different gear ratios as it is solely aimed for the enthusiast. Lets hope the Polo 1.6 is much more impressive than the Vento petrol. All the best for your purchase!
Old 18th August 2010, 21:45   #119
Senior - BHPian

Congrats sadnabrina,i hope you have a smooth dealership experience in receiving your Polo!
Yours is the first in Kolkata i presume?
Old 18th August 2010, 22:06   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Not to dampen your spirits, but the 1.6 petrol engine from VW (in Vento) is neither refined nor powerful and does not have great drive-ability either - surprisingly all reviewers including GTO/Autocar/NDTV(Siddharth) are unanimous about it. I don't know about what other VW engines you are referring to but people are comparing mostly with the other petrol engines in this class from Honda/Maruti etc. The 50 rpm is too minor a difference to be considered IMO, the important thing might be the gearbox with different gear ratios. It might be possible that VW has tuned the Vento for FE whereas the Polo 1.6 might have different gear ratios as it is solely aimed for the enthusiast. Lets hope the Polo 1.6 is much more impressive than the Vento petrol. All the best for your purchase!
@ adimicra - Quoting from GTO's Vento Petrol review - "At low revvs, engine refinement is the diametric opposite of the Polo. Below 3,000 rpms, you can hardly hear anything on the inside. As long as you take things easy, which most people will within the city, the engines all but inaudible. Work up the revvs, and the engine takes a throaty note above 3,500 rpm. Some will like it, some wont."
GTO's experience was the engine was inaudible. Also he mentioned that it was at par with the segment (that includes City/SX4/Linea etc).
GTO also felt that "It’s easy to enjoy a spirited drive on the highway, even 150 kph is attained without a fuss.".

Anyway thanks for the wishes. Keeping my fingers crossed till I get my hands on it on Froday. Will post my impressions possibly over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Congrats sadnabrina,i hope you have a smooth dealership experience in receiving your Polo!
Yours is the first in Kolkata i presume?
@ avishar - Thanks. I believe mine would be the first one, unless the dealer keeps one for himself before mine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed