Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
Nope, they have both 1.9 and 1.3. Vauxhall 1.3 "cdti"(MultiJet) is found in corsa, meriva and astra.
Thanks. Then I think I was wrong.

So, what stopped them from getting those engines for their hatches?
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:45   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
awsome, with 5 billion profit they could buy any other automotive company. great numbers by TATA Motors. Wonder if MSIL can match these numbers.
Good time to invest in TATA.
Not yet good time to buy a TATA car.

TATA is one of the best growing companies in the automotive sector. If TATA starts adopting the JLRs QC strategy and design philosophy the future is going to be very bright indeed.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:26   #48
mkh
Senior - BHPian

What is most interesting in this thread every month are 2 things
1. So many folks here posting in support of FIAT and how their sales needs to be higher and citing reasons for the same to happen
2. Folks posting how Honda has fallen in the sales numbers and why and how the city should be challenged by a new launch
Looks like we got two clearly divided camps!!
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:19   #49
BHPian

Looks like Verna Transform helped Hyundai to improve sales by 40% in A3 segment.
June'10 - A3 Segment (Accent & Verna) 4,137 units;
July'10- A3 Segment (Accent & Verna) 5,858 units;
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:37   #50
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar View Post
Looks like Verna Transform helped Hyundai to improve sales by 40% in A3 segment.
June'10 - A3 Segment (Accent & Verna) 4,137 units;
July'10- A3 Segment (Accent & Verna) 5,858 units;
That's right, looks like some people find it attractive enough to buy it( surely none of those are on TBHP) Supports the age old saying- beauty lies in the eye of the beholder!!!
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
What is most interesting in this thread every month are 2 things
1. So many folks here posting in support of FIAT and how their sales needs to be higher and citing reasons for the same to happen
2. Folks posting how Honda has fallen in the sales numbers and why and how the city should be challenged by a new launch
Looks like we got two clearly divided camps!!
And then there are folks who want to see Ford holding the fort amidst the serious competition, the intermediates.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

WHen was the last time Logan Sold 750 plus pieces? Mahindra sure is working some magic here.

Also how many noticed that Nissan with a handful dealerships moved more X-trail's than Honda's 43 CR-V's?

Fiat is definitely doing well considering Punto should be compared to I20, Jazz, Fabia, Polo and Indica Vista(well...). and also considering how pathetic their cabin plastics are compared to competition. I would pay 10K extra for much better quality plastics.

And Tata is still facing the heat with its reputation constricting the number of Manza's and Vista's they can actually sell.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Well, I hope it was nice under the rock. The Endy has been selling between 200-300 units a month since the Fortuner launch. It was 220 or so last month. It used to be even higher before the Fortuner was launched. Take a look at the model wise breakdown excel in the other threads.
I am pleasantly surprised - thanks!

Does anyone have the July modelwise breakdown excel? Couldnt find in this thread!
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

General Motors India
  • Growth of 45% in sales in July 2010, compared to the corresponding period last year.
  • The July 2010 sales comprised 2244 units of the Chevrolet Spark
  • 1722 units of Chevrolet Beat
  • 1546 units of the Chevrolet Tavera
  • 639 units of the Chevrolet Cruze
  • 375 Units of Chevrolet Aveo
  • 240 units of Chevrolet Aveo U-VA
  • 225 units of the Chevrolet Captiva
  • 133 units of Chevrolet Optra.
  • The increase in the sales was primarily driven by the response to Chevrolet Beat, Cruze and Spark.
Mr. P. Balendran, Vice President, GM India said, “There were some delivery constraints for certain models in July due to annual maintenance shutdown of the plant. With the operation back to normal, we should be able to clear the backlog this month.”

Mercedes-Benz India
  • Achieved highest-ever monthly sales in July 2010
  • Sold over 520 units and records growth of over 80% over July 2009 (July 2009- 288 units)
  • Strong demand for SUV’s with over 60 units sold in July 2010 alone vis-a-visa 140 units through the entire 2009 (January to December 2009)
Dr. Wilfried Aulbur (Managing Director and CEO, Mercedes-Benz India): “Our SUVs impressed one and all during our 5 city ‘StarDrive Experience’. The demand for the GL and M-Class reflects the confidence and pride of ownership associated with our SUVs. The E-Class also continued its winning streak with 210+ units in July 2010 and a growth of almost 250% over July 2009. The E-Class a favorite of critics and customers alike continues its strong growth with 1250+ units sold since January 2010: a growth of 150% over Jan-July 2009. July has been the best ever month in the history of Mercedes-Benz in India. Jan-July 2010 also has been a period of strong growth for us. While numbers are encouraging statistics, they are not the only focus for us. Commitment to exciting products, world-class ownership experience and engaging customer programs will continue to be our focus areas towards appreciation of our customers for Mercedes-Benz.”

MSIL

* Maruti Suzuki India Limited sold a total of 1,00,857 vehicles in July 2010. This includes 10,743 units for export.
* Company’s monthly sales figure has crossed 1 lakh mark for the second time in the fiscal.
* Domestic sales in July 2010 are also the highest ever domestic sales in a month.
* The company had sold a total of 78,074 vehicles in July 2009.
* Volume in the domestic market grew by 33.4 per cent.
* In the A2 segment, the sales grew by 33.2 per cent while in the A3 segment sales were 13.7 per cent higher, as compared to sales in July 2009.
* The sales growth in the C segment was 86.5 per cent over July 2009.

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd

* Auto sales for July 2010 stood at 28049 units as against 22563 units during July 2009, an increase of 24.3%
* Mahindra’s auto sales register 24% growth in July 2010
* Domestic sales stood at 26303 units during July 2010, as against 21957 units in July 2009, an increase of 20%.
* Exports have grown by 188% during the same period.
* The 3W-Gio-Maxximo ranges of products have registered a phenomenal growth of 105% over the same period last year.
* The sales of the company’s sedan, the Logan, have also seen an upward trend with volume increasing for the 3rd consecutive month – and with a number of 752 units in July 2010 as against 444 units during July 2009, a growth of 69%.
* The YTD sales which include the Scorpio, Xylo, Bolero and Pick-Ups, stand at 110142 units during July 2010, as against 85432 units in July 2009, a growth of 29%.

Nissan Motor India

* Sold 1005 units in July
* Nissan Micra achieved sales of 928 units since delivery began on July 15, 2010
* Nissan Teana, 27 Units
* Nissan X-trail; 50 units.
* Nissan Micra has till date received more than 3000 bookings, far exceeding the company’s expectations.

Kiminobu Tokuyama -MD & CEO, NMIPL, “This is just the beginning. However, we are happy and delighted at the initial response the Nissan Micra has received from the Indian customers. We look forward to an exciting journey as more and more customers benefit from the ownership experience of our product and services.”

Ford India

* 307 PERCENT YEAR-ON-YEAR JUMP IN JULY SALES COMPARED TO 2009
* Ford India reported a 307 percent year-on-year sales increase for the month of July with 8,739 units sold; recording four-fold jump compared to same period last year
* Year-to-date, Ford has sold 46,751 vehicles which surpasses the best ever annual sales in Ford India history
* Sales boom is driven by overwhelming consumer demand for the new Ford Figo
* 29000 bookings for the Figo since its launch
* Total sales of 8,739 units, four times the 2,146 sales made in July 2009.
* Sales performance also represents an increase of 20 percent compared to June 2010 figures.
* Ford India achieves total vehicle sales of 46,751 units in the January to July period
* Ford India is expanding its service and dealer network to provide world-class support to its fast growing customer base. The recently launched 3S Brand@Retail* dealership in Meerut (Uttar Pradesh province) is the 167th outlet. With this, Ford India now has a presence in 97 cities nationwide.

Michael Boneham, president and managing director, Ford India “We are delighted with our results to date. Sales from January to July 2010 were greater than any annual sales figures reported by Ford India during the past five years. This success is driven by a number of factors including an improved economic environment as well as new releases and the opening of new dealerships and service centres across the country.” Boneham added, “The Ford Figo is one of the major catalysts behind these terrific total sales numbers. Figo has transformed our business and presence in India and we recently introduced a second production shift to keep up with demand.”

Source -
http://motoroids.com/news/car-manufa...july-2010.html

Last edited by bblost : 4th August 2010 at 15:02. Reason: Fixed the url for source. Thanks.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The fact of the matter is Beat is not a complete product. Its high on style qouteint and everything ends there. The space is seriously cramped inside, the front seat (drivers) is too low to get a comfortable driving position, the engine (petrol only) is below par for the segment when compared to Kappa and K series motors.
Don't know why so much noise about beat not being a complete product. I think its the best looking Hatch in its segment of i10, Ritz.
Space size and performance it beats i10 easily.

I suspect the low sales are definitely linked to the positioning. At the end of day if performance/Style customer is already sold out on Swift and Punto, there is no point considering a smaller sized option for this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
The Figo is doing the numbers is doing only for 3 reasons:
1) Cheap
2) Big
3) Diesel4. handles well
5. nice ride
6. better build
Very aptly put. But i still think first three are the major factors. Give out a bigger car at smaller price and you have a winner in India. Space is premium in this crowded country

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
Nope, they have both 1.9 and 1.3. Vauxhall 1.3 "cdti"(MultiJet) is found in corsa, meriva and astra.
Suzuki gets its 1.3 DDIS from this same GM/Fiat agreement due to, now defunct, collaboration with GM. So no doubt GM has the access to the technology. If only they can fit these engines in their Indian Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Beat's poor sales is a disappointment to me. It is a very good car but has met with poor response. The Micra has managed 928. Good numbers.
there you go... my opinion exactly. surprise of the pack is Micra though. No one thought with such a small network Nissan would be able to sell so many Micras in just 18 days.

Quote:
Ford outsells GM with just 4 models in its arsenal compared to GM's 8. Interesting.
Thats really amazing. It goes on to tell you what all can one achieve when you are hanging with the end of the thread. I am sure many a people within Ford must be questioning their own strategies while selling just about 2-2.5 K volume till last year. Fruits for their hard work really. Really commendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
Looks like Figo's impact is most telling on Beat numbers. Figo has not dealt so much of a blow to the holy trinity (maruti, tata, hyundai) as it did to Chevy.
But still, I for one, am very disappointed to see Beat numbers. Less than 2000!!! unbelievable.
Really really pathetic i would say. The product has lot of potential. If only GM guys and dealers leave their cockiness behind and put a concerted effort, this sales is just an aberration.

Also, what is this about this forum. Any product that we love, common indians don't seem to buying it. Read Punto and Beat.

I think there is a merit where someone pointed out that its the Family Car which sells in India. Rest all buy swift.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd August 2010 at 18:48. Reason: Please refer to forum rules. No more than 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:27   #56
BHPian

Just an update on Hyundai -

Total Sales - 28,811 units against 23,193 units, up by 24.2 per cent
Santro + i10 + i20 = 44,522 units
Accent + Verna Transform = 5,858 units
Sonata Transform = 31 units.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd August 2010 at 19:33. Reason: Font Tags removed.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:44   #57
PCS
BHPian

TOYOTA SALES

innova - 4816 -----> seg leader
fortuner - 1101 ----------> seg leader
altis - 843 -----------> seg leader

Last edited by PCS : 3rd August 2010 at 19:45.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is my guess.
Figo: 7000
Fiesta: 1100
Endy: 300
Ikon: 400
Gilead,
Your guess is almost correct, a birdie told me that Ford sold close to 6840 Figo cars for July and 1320 Fiesta and around 300 endys.

Quote:
And why would Ford relook their strategy? Fiesta and Ikon are pretty much at the end of their lifecycle and their sales are bound to decrease.
To add to your point, they would want to make sure the monthly for sales are ringing high during the time the Global Fiesta is launched. A better road presence now will surely make sure Fiesta gets a better acceptance.

Last edited by xingamazon : 3rd August 2010 at 20:18.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Beat definately took a beating this time. GM claims it to be a production issue. But whatever it may be I believe Beat is going to settle btwn 2000-2500.

There are a lot of reasons where beat went wrong. Specially Marketing the Product.

1) This is not a car where you can sit back and enjoy. As the Rear is claustrophobic. Under thigh support is minimal.
2) This is not a car with which can give you immense driving pleasure. As the acceleration is not impressive and Handling is not a strength.
3) This is not car you will buy to keep your daily fuel bills low. NO Diesel.
4) Though styling may appeal to women I dont believe they will end up buying. As the view of road is severely hampered both in front and rear. Lack of driver seat height adjustments make matters worse. Not an easy car to drive.
5) Not ideal for highway travels. No boot.
6) Over and above its not a Maruti/Hyundai where you get away with Estillo.

So why exactly will this car sell?
It sells just because its priced sensibly, looks like a concept car. I dont see any other USP. With this it is only supposed to attract a small bunch of people.

As for FIGO all the above points 1 to 5 are for it. No wonder it got a Mass market appeal.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Gilead,
Your guess is almost correct, a birdie told me that Ford sold close to 6840 Figo cars for July and 1320 Fiesta and around 300 endys.
Thanks for the info. The second shift at the Ford plant became operational sometime in July. I won't be surprised to see Aug sales touch 10K as there is a still a backlog for the Figo and Fiesta.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks