Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 12:19   #106
Senior - BHPian

I guess U-VA & Fabia are coming to end of there life cycle. Sales numbers suggests the same.

Also as i mentioned earlier in similar thread, beat has gone out of fuzz. Sales number shows that. GM need to do something pretty fast. Apart from Cruz, all there sales numbers are going down. Beat is a good car but not to everybody's liking. I guess it will now settle to 1500 per month.

Maruti is doing very good with Omni & Eeco. I guess Maruti has created new area all together with Eeco. Sales numbers are increasing. Its a very good car at that price.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:39   #107
Team-BHP Support

The Accent despite being an old model has done quite well against its competition. Does the 1k+ numbers include the export quantities as well?
Old 9th August 2010, 13:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

Last month's plant shut down affected Suzuki's numbers a lot. This kind of abnormal reasons did mislead many. But, this month's numbers are back to the usual stuff for all the models.

Swift ~ 12K
Wagon-R ~ 12k+
Dzire ~ 8.5K
SX4 ~ 1.6K
but, Alto is the real surprise, setting new records for monthly sales by surpassing the 25K mark.

The nearest competitor- Tata seems to be maintaining (albeit clinging) more or less the same numbers (except for Nano, which I believe will reach the 20K mark by the year-end).

Indigo ~ 7K+
Indica ~ 8.5K
Sumo & Safari ~ 3.5K

Hyundai is doing no bad with the i10 with sales around 12K this month (did they had any workers' strike in July-10).
But, increasing i20 numbers tell a different story. The models rearrangement seems to have worked in this car's favour.
The new Verna, selling 2.2K units, seems to have been accepted by people like anything (despite being pronounced ugly in T-BHP).

For Ford Figo is the Man Firday, selling little under 7K units per month. Even Fiesta done better this time with almost double sales over the past month. The "Limited Edition" gimmick with price under INR 6 lacs seems to be working fine.

For Fiat, I believe the improved numbers for Punto show potential, but, there is long way ahead. In case of Linea, IMO people are waiting got the T-jet before sales return to 1K+ numbers.

For Toyota Corolla-Altis is back to Numero Uno even before diesel is launched. Auspicious signs for the car, me waiting eagerly for the Aug-10 numbers, & the Innova repeating the same old leader story. Don't think the recent recalls have anyhow affected Toyota Bharat.

What is surprising is the fact that Mahindra siblings Xylo & Scorpio settling around 2.5K & 2.75K marks, but, that could be because of the acceptance of Grande (2.2K+ units), though Safari has settled merrily little over the 1k mark (I believe it is missing the front facing 3rd row seat, which the Scorpio has).

But, overall a good month for the industry with more sales than any previous period (s). What are the comparative figures in China? Have we beaten them in this month sales? Anyone
Old 9th August 2010, 14:46   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
But, overall a good month for the industry with more sales than any previous period (s). What are the comparative figures in China? Have we beaten them in this month sales? Anyone
I hope you meant YOY increase and not the absolute numbers. In terms of absolute numbers they are way ahead of us.

China market (July Sales 2010)

Retail deliveries of cars, sport-utility vehicles and multipurpose vehicles rose 15.4 percent last month from a year earlier to 822,300, the China Automotive Technology & Research Center said in a statement today.

Total auto sales in China, including trucks and buses, increased 17 percent from a year earlier to 1.06 million vehicles in July, the center said. This figure is excluding 2 wheeler sales.

India market (July Sales 2010)

The national automobile body, Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) today informed that auto companies sold 158,764 cars in the month of July, compared with 115,084 units in the corresponding period a year ago, showing a rise of 37.05%.

Sales of commercial vehicles, a parameter of measuring the health of economy, jumped by 36.99 per cent to 51,481 units from 37,580 units in the year-ago period, SIAM said.

Total auto sales (excluding 2 wheelers) is 210,245 units.

We have long way to catch up with China auto market. They are still selling 5-6 times what we sell in auto market. But if you see our percentage growth is higher so it is good sign for Indian Auto industry as a whole.

source: China July Car Sales Grow at Faster Pace on Discounts - BusinessWeek
Commodity Stocks News | India's domestic car sales hit record high in July | 09 August 2010 | www.commodityonline.com
Old 9th August 2010, 15:21   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The Accent despite being an old model has done quite well against its competition. Does the 1k+ numbers include the export quantities as well?
I don't think Accent is getting exported.
In foreign markets the car sold here as Verna is the New Accent.

THE FIGO EFFECT

2 cars have lost customers after the FIGO launch

Indica nos are down by almost 2.5k
Ritz sales down by around 1K

Last edited by Daewood : 9th August 2010 at 15:41.
Old 9th August 2010, 15:39   #111
BHPian

Mods: please delete this post. Duplicate post

Last edited by Daewood : 9th August 2010 at 15:40.
Old 9th August 2010, 15:52   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I guess U-VA & Fabia are coming to end of there life cycle. Sales numbers suggests the same.
Buddy its more to do with lousy engines+ price + A.S.S. Else its quite a capable car. With Fabia Facelift + Polo Power Trains around the corner sales could should be well above 500 soon.

i20 sales are unbelievable , at its launch none of us expected it to do so well. Hyundai did a smart move by introducing more versions in the i20 range. Pardon my ignorance but IIRC 1.4 crdi engine was being imported sometime back, is the engine assembled locally or still imported??

Looks like ANHC has settled in the 3000+ nos. range. With Vento launch and Skoda Octavia replacement around the corner i hope they dont breach below the 3000 mark. @Toyota i feel only the Vios sedan can stir up ANHC sales.

Corolla Altis shall continue to maintain the throne in the segment. I hope Cruze does maintain the 600 + nos as that is the only decently selling GM above Spark range. I dont think Honda can do much to the Civic now. They will have to wait for a year or two for the Next Gen Civic.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:46   #113
BHPian

In short, it's no comparison :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
But, overall a good month for the industry with more sales than any previous period (s). What are the comparative figures in China? Have we beaten them in this month sales?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
In terms of absolute numbers they are way ahead of us.
China market (July Sales 2010)
Retail deliveries of cars, sport-utility vehicles and multipurpose vehicles rose 15.4 percent last month from a year earlier to 822,300, the China Automotive Technology & Research Center said in a statement today.
India market (July Sales 2010)
The national automobile body, Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) today informed that auto companies sold 158,764 cars in the month of July, compared with 115,084 units in the corresponding period a year ago, showing a rise of 37.05%.
I remember a televised interview by one of GM-India's head-honchos a couple of months back - on being asked to compare the Indian & Chinese markets, he commented that the two markets cannot be compared since GM alone sells more cars in China (per year) than the entire car market here in India (per year) !?!
Old 9th August 2010, 16:56   #114
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed. What happen to Ikon sales? Why it has come down to 300+? The diesel power is not helping it?
Old 9th August 2010, 17:02   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Just noticed. What happen to Ikon sales? Why it has come down to 300+? The diesel power is not helping it?
The Ikon petrol has been discontinued, and the diesel is not BSIV compliant. Basically, it signals the end of the Ikon's lifecycle.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The Ikon petrol has been discontinued, and the diesel is not BSIV compliant. Basically, it signals the end of the Ikon's lifecycle.

Oh is it? I thought only the Petrol was not complaint. Even the TDCi??

Then how is it in Fiesta? I was under impression they both had same heart.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:07   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Petrol 205
Diesel 639
So the one got badly hit by Diesel Altis is its petrol sibling itself. From >800 (jan-apr) to just 205.

Also really Impressed by 5 series and 7 series numbers. BMW should focus on 3 series now.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:31   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
So the one got badly hit by Diesel Altis is its petrol sibling itself. From >800 (jan-apr) to just 205.
Not to forget the Laura. The figure dropped from 681 in June to 386 in July. It sold on average about 521 every month from Jan to June and that has dropped to 386 !

So has the Jetta though to a lesser extent. From 368 in June to 292 in July and from an average monthly sales of 302 in Jan - June to 292. Can't say much about this drop though.

Laura was just relaunched and it would be sometime before any substantive change. Maybe Skoda's move to offer 2+2 year warranty was driven the the fear of Altis diesel taking away share.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 9th August 2010 at 20:34.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:27   #119
Senior - BHPian

Just regarding a couple of comments about the size of the Chinese market. Agreed that their sales figures are way ahead of ours but the country also enjoys an additional 15 years of Economic librelization, which results in a larger and more affluent middle class.

That said despite their size and lower cost of manufacturing (mainly due to a highly protected Yuan) we export more cars than China. This is no mean feat especially since the boom in our industry is not that old. This is primarily because most MNCs look to us as a manufacturing base for quality cars and I think this is what India should aim for rather than the cheapness associated with a 'made in china' tag. This will also protect the industry and the related jobs in case of domestic decline, a scenario where the Chinese Auto industry is highly vulnerable.

Countries like Germany and Korea export far more than they sell domestically, and the industry contributes to the country's welfare rather than just be a domestic sales outlet. Hopefully slowly but steadily this is where the likes of Tata, M&M, Bajaj and TVS will lead us to.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:58   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
That said despite their size and lower cost of manufacturing (mainly due to a highly protected Yuan) we export more cars than China. This is no mean feat especially since the boom in our industry is not that old. This is primarily because most MNCs look to us as a manufacturing base for quality cars and I think this is what India should aim for rather than the cheapness associated with a 'made in china' tag. This will also protect the industry and the related jobs in case of domestic decline, a scenario where the Chinese Auto industry is highly vulnerable.

Countries like Germany and Korea export far more than they sell domestically, and the industry contributes to the country's welfare rather than just be a domestic sales outlet. Hopefully slowly but steadily this is where the likes of Tata, M&M, Bajaj and TVS will lead us to.
I agree with your view of industry contributing to the country's welfare and the future role you see for Tata, M&M etc.

But I would not compare India's and china's exports. Some years back I read a report on why hyundai choose india rather than china when they initially started here. The answer is tax incentives provided by india. China's tax incentives are not that atractive when it comes to auto exports.

Last edited by airbender : 9th August 2010 at 21:59.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed