Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 13:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Green TAX in Maharashtra

If a vehicle meets emission norms, how does it matter if its 15-20 or 50 years old.
If it does not, it should not be allowed on roads. Will taking money somehow lead to oxygen being produced from a dirty engine
Old 24th October 2011, 19:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If a vehicle meets emission norms, how does it matter if its 15-20 or 50 years old.
If it does not, it should not be allowed on roads. Will taking money somehow lead to oxygen being produced from a dirty engine
TSK true that is, in the sense that Green Tax is a compounding fee to run a supposedly polluting vehicle.In other words, that is a legal gratification to the authorities to run the supposedly polluted motor vehicle. Never mind even if the engine emits Methyl Isocyanate (MIC). After all the owner has paid Green tax.
Many well maintained older vehicles are less polluting than the newer ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Ms. Patel to me seems to be a doing a very important job. The legsilation proposed / passed is an absurd one and I really wonder who thought of it and then further how it got the backing of enough nuts to back it. - Excuse the language, but this kind off reminds me of the recent news where the BMC instead of repairing roads post monsoons were pumping money into developing a software that would tell drivers where the potholes on the roads were and expected us to park by side of the road and check out this app on the mobile to find potholes. - all nuts out there - and we are the bigger ones who voted them to power.
Thanks ACM. True Ms Patel and Adv. Mandlekar are quite committed.
The BMC software development drama appears absurd. And will the thousands of Premier taxis be able to use such software?
Next may be a software that senses the dimension, morphology and configuration of each pothole/ crater, matches it with the health condition and physique of the occupants vis a vis the motor vehicle one is driving/ seated in- the wheel condition, dimension and specifications, suspension specifications and condition and then tell which bone/s of the body will be rattled / dislocated at particular speeds should the motor vehicle traverse the pothole/ crater!!
Old 18th January 2012, 00:25   #33
SAS
BHPian

Does anybody know the latest news on this? With car prices going up, it makes sense to use vehicles longer. This so called green tax is nothing more a sham. The government is trying to loot the common man, clear & simple. Also the PUC centers are interested in making money instead of accurately monitoring pollution levels from cars and reporting any failures. Shame on our government and on stupid politicians...
Old 19th January 2012, 23:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Does anybody know the latest news on this? With car prices going up, it makes sense to use vehicles longer. This so called green tax is nothing more a sham. The government is trying to loot the common man, clear & simple. Also the PUC centers are interested in making money instead of accurately monitoring pollution levels from cars and reporting any failures. Shame on our government and on stupid politicians...
The Maharashtra Government is charging Green Tax on all old motor vehicles as per the Act of the State legislature as of now. I have mentioned about the case that has been filed in the Mumbai High Court, Nagpur Bench. There is no update or any court directive so the government continues to levy the Green Tax.
More updates later, after I communicate with the two activists who have filed the writ petition.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

California emission laws will exempt pre- 1981 vehicles from emission tests. And here we live in the 19th century where the Maharashtra government is charging Green Tax. Just shows how backward our thinking process remains!
The whole link with my comments are posted here on this thread in post # 65:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyond...ml#post2723018
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:33   #36
BHPian

Does this mean further disincentive to classic aficionados ? Or are classics exempt ?
Roadworthiness certification for 15 years or older vehicles is a good step, but it would be beneficial to develop ways to make older vehicles more efficient/less polluting - say green fuels .

And I agree SAS - we should try to use vehicles longer, besides the cost buying a new one, there's also the question of disposal/recycling old vehicles, both manufacturing new ones and recycling old ones have some environment and monetary cost burden.

What I think is, post 1980s-1990s , we have (globally, not just India) or are becoming a culture of lawyers - where new laws not made for the safety or benefit of people but to enable a set of favoured people make more money under some morally-correct-sounding excuse.
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:28   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Does this mean further disincentive to classic aficionados ? Or are classics exempt ?
Roadworthiness certification for 15 years or older vehicles is a good step, but it would be beneficial to develop ways to make older vehicles more efficient/less polluting - say green fuels .
Classics and vintages are not exempted under the Green Tax legislation.
Very true, there should be fitness tests every 15 years then once every five years thereafter, as is now being done.
But the levy of Green Tax a retrograde step that discourages preservation of older beauties..
Old 9th January 2016, 10:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

My Zen is turning 20 years old and the green tax paid five years ago will have to be paid again. I am not sure about the amount this time.
Old 13th April 2017, 11:30   #39
BHPian

Anyone aware of revision in green tax rates for Maharashtra?

I was told it will soon be something to the tune of Rs. 17000/-
Old 13th April 2017, 11:32   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Anyone aware of revision in green tax rates for Maharashtra? I was told it will soon be something to the tune of Rs. 17000/-
It depends from vehicle to vehicle and will be determined during re-registration.

I got my Palio 1.6 GTX re-registered in Jan '17 and the green tax was only about Rs 3K. The registration is now valid for 5 years.
Old 15th October 2018, 13:19   #41
BHPian

I have a few vintage 2T's that are long due for Green Tax/FC renewal. All vehicles except one come under the Pune RTO. Need Help with understanding the following:

a) Is Green Tax necessary for 15+ Year old bikes if the PUC is showing figures within limit?

b) What is the procedure for renewal and which forms (no's) need to be documented again?

c) How do I calculate the Charges for renewal of RC (with penalty) for the foll:
1. Bike of 1983 Make (Expired in 1998) so 35 Yrs, Ahmednagar RTO
2. Two Bikes of 1986 Make (Expired 2001) so 32 Yrs, Pune RTO
3. Bike of 1991 Make (Expired 2006) so 27 Yrs, Pune RTO

Also what will be the approx charges for Insurance of all the four bikes?
Kindly elaborate your experience if you have done this recently.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th November 2018, 12:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidspy View Post
I have a few vintage 2T's that are long due for Green Tax/FC renewal. All vehicles except one come under the Pune RTO. Need Help with understanding the following:

a) Is Green Tax necessary for 15+ Year old bikes if the PUC is showing figures within limit?

b) What is the procedure for renewal and which forms (no's) need to be documented again?

c) How do I calculate the Charges for renewal of RC (with penalty) for the foll:
1. Bike of 1983 Make (Expired in 1998) so 35 Yrs, Ahmednagar RTO
2. Two Bikes of 1986 Make (Expired 2001) so 32 Yrs, Pune RTO
3. Bike of 1991 Make (Expired 2006) so 27 Yrs, Pune RTO

Also what will be the approx charges for Insurance of all the four bikes?
Kindly elaborate your experience if you have done this recently.

Thanks in advance!
Any takers for this question? Vintage bike lovers plz help!
Old 13th March 2020, 11:44   #43
BHPian

Re-initiating the thread in pursuit of responses!

Primary question is has there been any amendment to the rule for Green tax been levied for Vintage 2 wheeler's?

How is the penalty charges (if any) defined post 2010 implementation of this law.

Re-registration of these classics requires these details.

Most Viewed