Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 08:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
which is expected to rise from the ashes when the Fiesta hatch and/or Polo 1.6 storm the market.
Again that might not be the masses' choice, they might want to look at cheaper sedans, albiet it might attract some buyers like the ones that got the Chevy SRV or the Jazz.
Old 6th August 2010, 08:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Things have improved a lot in the past 5 years. Definetly a lot more cars/variants/engines to choose from. BUT a closer look will tell you that there's scope for LOT of improvement.

The huge figure of 90 comes from a lot of mix and match of engine/car combinations.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

The worst part is he 1200cc limit. No wonder diesels are popular. We need more Getz CRDi like engines. Too bad that Hyundai selected for a lesser powered engine(comparitively) for the i20.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Logically, a turbo charger is the technological tool to break the 1200cc and i wish to see those engines in the real sportz(sic) models.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

^ ... and there goes the whishful thinking on India enthusiasts.

When the situation with sedans at 15lacs price point is that sports = allow wheels, spoilers, leather trim and prob slight change in steering, how can you expect something as revolutionary as turbocharger in sub 5 lacs segment???
Old 6th August 2010, 16:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
The worst part is he 1200cc limit. No wonder diesels are popular. We need more Getz CRDi like engines. Too bad that Hyundai selected for a lesser powered engine(comparitively) for the i20.
Agree with you on this, but the I20 CRDi ABS still is the best bargain you can get today both performance wise and segment wise. A high displacement figure is not what we should be looking for, but an engine which does more work (BHP) per cc of volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
^ ... and there goes the whishful thinking on India enthusiasts' When the situation with sedans at 15lacs price point is that sports = allow wheels, spoilers, leather trim and prob slight change in steering, how can you expect something as revolutionary as turbocharger in sub 5 lacs segment???
A sub 5 lac hatch, maybe not, but, a 7-8lac premium hatch, definitely possible.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:57   #22
BHPian

No we are not ...and 90 models in not a big figure compared to European market. The growth of Auto industry indicates the Nation's Economical growth. Globalization really helped India to achieve the current economy status.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:16   #23
BHPian

I see that most people in our forum agree that we do not have enough choice in the market. I too am in the same boat. The point I brought this up is because I have been in many discussions when my "non - car enthu friends" have decided to buy a car with a price in mind and nothing else. And in many cases I have witnessed these chaps being taken on a nice ride before they end up with a car minus many of their requirements.

But anyhow, the whole process did bring in this question.

We know as a whole the choice is very limited. The variants are not a true identification of the choice. So, why keep the variants? Most of the variants come only with additional accessories only and no major change in base configuration. In such cases, what is the requirement of the variant?

The customer should be able to pick and choose the accessories. If the variants are fewer, wouldn't the customer be able to make a quicker decision and wont that be better for the seller too?

Last edited by ajman28 : 6th August 2010 at 17:17.
Old 7th August 2010, 07:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

When I was looking for a 'premium' hatch 6 years back, I had limited options (Sail, Getz etc). Compared to that, situation now is better, in the hatch segment. But there is lot of scope for improvement.

If you look at the SUV segment, there is hardly any choice and competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
The customer should be able to pick and choose the accessories. If the variants are fewer, wouldn't the customer be able to make a quicker decision and wont that be better for the seller too?
Build your own car option is not yet here in India. This option gives one the flexibility to choose accessories and features.

I won't be surprised if Tata introduces this, taking cue from JLR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks