Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 16:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Transfering Old VIP Number to New Car

Hi all,

Hope I have posted this query in the right section.

Lets say I have a car with a VIP number which was registered in 2005. Now I plan to buy a new car in 2010. Can I transfer the older registration number to the new car? The only reason I can think of doing this is probably that if I ask for a VIP number of the new series running in 2010, it would cost me a bomb with the new rules by the RTO.

Is there a facility for such transfering of numbers? If yes, what is the procedures & costs involved? Also what happens to the registration number of my older car? Does it get a registration number of the 2010 series?
Old 6th August 2010, 16:15   #2
BHPian

As far as I know and within my knowledge, it is not possible to do anything like this. Even if you can do it by some method, which I am sure cannot be done, would cost you a couple of more bombs than the bomb of new VIP number.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

no need for new thread for vip no. similar thread already exists.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...umbers-20.html
BTW it is not possible in Maharashtra.
also check following threads.
Retain Old Car's Number On New Car- Vehicle Number Portability

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...g-hyh-4-a.html
EDIT:if you get any solution please tell me. i also have one special no. to be transferred.

Last edited by jeepster : 6th August 2010 at 16:31.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:48   #4
BHPian

AFAIK, It is not possible in any state of our country. I have asked about this query to One of my relative working in RTO office . Hope will get a reply soon.Will update ASAP.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th August 2010 at 15:54.
Anand123 is online now   Received Infraction
Old 6th August 2010, 16:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

In Indian, vehicle registration numbers are tied to a vehicle (VIN/Chassis/Engine Number) and not to the owner, irrespective of whether it is a VIP number or not. So I dont think it is legally possible to transfer numbers between vehicles in India. I think there is a new legislation planned which allows this like in other countries. Not sure if this is implemented yet anywhere in India.

Last edited by vasoo : 6th August 2010 at 16:57.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-new-car.html
Old 6th August 2010, 16:58   #8
BHPian

This is quite possible in Harayana and my cousin recently did this in Gurgaon. Premium numbers are sold by the RTO in Gurgaon (as I am sure in other states as well). When one sells the car, he/she can sell it w/o the number. The new owner gets a new number and RC within a few days (for an old car). The costs are negligible - if I remember correctly my cousin paid under 500 bucks for the same.

However rules differ from state to state so the best answer to your question can be provided by your nearest RTO. In Gurgaon this is 100% possible.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
In Indian, vehicle registration numbers are tied to a vehicle (VIN/Chassis/Engine Number) and not to the owner, irrespective of whether it is a VIP number or not. So I dont think it is legally possible to transfer numbers between vehicles in India.
This is a State subject so the rules can differ from State to State. In Punjab, for example, one can retain the old number. A certificate has to be given to the RTO that the car -- from which the number is being taken -- will be registered outside Punjab. Thereafter, the coveted number can be registered to another car.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is possible.

Seen it happening in Delhi. Only thing is the car of old numbers needs to be scrapped. Get a new registration for that car and get use this number.
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:32   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This move has gone through. Maharashtra RTOs will now allow you to transfer an existing number to a new car, as long as the old car has been scrapped / sold. Catch? You have to pay between 2,000 - 100,000 rupees, presumably dependent on how VIP your old number is.

Source : This morning's TOI
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2011, 11:40   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Transfering Old VIP Number to New Car.

^ Move has been confirmed in MH and will be rolled out shortly. Cost = Rs. 10,000
Old 12th February 2011, 13:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
^ Move has been confirmed in MH and will be rolled out shortly. Cost = Rs. 10,000
Wow thats a great move. Lucky I can keep my number, when I get a new car.
Old 12th February 2011, 14:00   #14

Personal Opinion: this should certainly be accepted in all states all over India.
Since, an individual person has already paid the respective amount for the VIP number initially, there should be no further charges, only documentation and Noc from the person you sell you car to and Noc from the respective RTO from where on has got their car initially registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
This is a State subject so the rules can differ from State to State. In Punjab, for example, one can retain the old number. A certificate has to be given to the RTO that the car -- from which the number is being taken -- will be registered outside Punjab. Thereafter, the coveted number can be registered to another car.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th February 2011 at 14:07. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Also use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 00:33   #15
BHPian

Registration Number Potability in Mumbai - has anyone transferred his old car number?

I am planning to sell of my 10 year old Santro and go in for a Sedan
Its got a XXXX vip number which was purchased in 2002 for a princely sum of Rs. 10,000/-
Today however the amount for the same number is Rs. 50,000 in Mumbai RTO and invariably huge rush for this number by even corporates.
Few months back there was news of a large corporate house paying Rs. 1,50,000/- (Rs. 50,000 X 3 times ) for the xxxx number from another series
So the scene is the xxxx number on my Santro is much more worth than the resale value of the car

I was happy when i read reports last year that Mumbai RTO would follow number potabilty and owners would have to pay Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 10,000 to transfer the old number to their new car that they buy
The link for the article that appeared that point of time ( Feb. 12. 2012) is
Now, you can use old number on new car - Times Of India

However another article of 5th October 2011 says that the premium for such transfer of number would be Rs.3,000 to Rs. 1 Lac for cars
The link is at Now, retain your old 'lucky' number for new vehicle - Times Of India
Why should someone pay so much to get the same VIP number transferrred when he can buy a new vip number of the current series at the same price ?

And today after i test drove and made a shortlist of cars, i read an article online which says that the state goverment is scrapping the number potability plan. the article is at No more transfer of number plates

has anyone here got his registration number done and do folks have an idea if the potability scheme is already scrapped in mumbai ?
Appreciate feedback on this
Thanks in advance

Most Viewed