Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 23:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Many times I notice and I try to avoid the situation to have an Indica in front of me while waiting at a traffice signal or in a lsow moving traffice.
Here in Gurgaon, the Indicas are the quickest off the block at red lights when they are behind you.

What the heck is "lsow" btw?????
Old 6th August 2010, 23:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Hi Gurus,

Many times I notice and I try to avoid the situation to have an Indica in front of me while waiting at a traffice signal or in a lsow moving traffice.

Inadvertly it happens that the Indicas are at very slow speed at initial pick up or when they have to break and then pick up speed again.

It is really very frustating to be behind an Indica at this time in traffic. many times it causes the light to go back to red if you are behind an Indica.

Have any other person noticed this and what is your opinion about it.
It is not good to generalize like this. M800 is slower than Indica, Alto is slower than indica.

BTW, Indicas are way better than many other hatchbacks in terms of power and pickup. And what does "frustating" mean? Do you mean Frustrating?
Old 6th August 2010, 23:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

I gave up hurrying up in traffic. I start early or avoid peak hours, if at all I start during peak hours, I prepare my mind or start even earlier anticipating the traffic.

Net result? I don't care if Indica doesn't move or any car has a turbo lag. But if the signal is green & the vehicle in front of me doesn't move even after 2-3 seconds, then he better prepare his ears for my twin bosch horns.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

I guess its a person you encounter that day, who is driving slow in front of you, nothing to do with the car.

The instant the signal turns green, there is a mad rush to beat that signal before its turns red again!

In fact its not just about vehicles alone. Have you ever not got irritated by folks walking slowly in front of you
and so absorbed in their conversation, that inadvertently they don't allow you to pass.

This happens all the times in cases where your natural speed is obstructed by some one else. Yes quite a problem.
But yes the trick is not get irritated while driving at least. Listen to your favourite song or listen to your favourite audio book!
Old 7th August 2010, 00:25   #20
BANNED

Even if you were to be really mad at that slow car/auto in front of you, as long as you do not honk at them I would be perfectly fine with it. A slow car is not going to be off the road because people honk at them. Also a slow driver will not speed up because people honk at them. I often find people show machismo in blowing their horn as though they can blow the slow car away.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yeah like someone mentioned, auto start with their hand cranking when it turns green. One crank is good enough 2-3 and the crowd behind is going to get beserk in sychronised orchestra.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have the same problem with Indicas too. Someone said that Alto and M800 are slower than an Indica - I do not believe that.

Indicas are the slowest off the block and when they have to climb uphill - God help you if they slow down on the way up (been at the receiving end lots of times climbing thru the Kailas Complex uphill towards Powai)

For me the older gen Indicas are the slowest cars in India - the newer ones are just about marginally better.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

I had a Indica V2 DLE (Pre Turbo Era) and I had the rev it pretty hard everytime the lights turned green to make any progress.
Old 7th August 2010, 07:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Well.. i don't have a slow car but bikes and autos always manage to take the pole position, so it never really mattered how quick my car is. so i take it easy and drive normally. in fact i prefer the 2nd row at the signals because i don't want to maintain a super-alert watch on the signal.
Old 7th August 2010, 08:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

I do not mind much if the car in front of me is slow to start at signals but I do get irritated if it is driver's carelessness. Also, I think 'hate' is too big a word to use in that context.

Last edited by simplyself : 7th August 2010 at 08:26.
Old 7th August 2010, 08:27   #26
BHPian

I think the thread starter meant something else: Do you hate it if you have (own) a car which is slow off the blocks at traffic lights. In my opinion, if you hate yourself for such a thing, you are not a safe driver.
Old 7th August 2010, 08:52   #27
BHPian

Well I guess I learnt not to bother about slow acceleration from Red Lights the hard way -

A small incident when I was just about learning to drive - maybe a month into being allowed into traffic: At a red light with a slight slope, I was in the first row - took off as soon as the light turned, but not yet having perfected the clutch accelerator - the car lurched forward and stalled - the guy behind me was obviously in a rush and was accelerating all out, so could not react and BANG - straight into my car . This happened nearly 6 or 7 years ago, but the lesson has been learnt for life.

When accelerating from a red light, always be extra careful as the guy in front might stop suddenly and without warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Well.. i don't have a slow car but bikes and autos always manage to take the pole position, so it never really mattered how quick my car is. so i take it easy and drive normally. in fact i prefer the 2nd row at the signals because i don't want to maintain a super-alert watch on the signal.
Agreed 100% I like to switch of the engine and use a long red light to relax, adjust the music/ac, remove the papers for the next meeting from my bag etc.

Being in the first row puts the onus of keeping a watch on the redlight on you and especially if you happen to be in the extreme right/left lane,the bikes will find their way through traffic and be standing in front of you at all kinds of angles - this totally cheeses me off, and I used to get all ballistic about it, but now I just relax 5 odd seconds isn't going to matter much
Old 7th August 2010, 09:01   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@all who hate slow pokes ahead (NA Indica's or whatever) of them. Re-examine. Is it shadows of road rage clouding your eyes? Patience man. It is road not a runway!! I know lots of flame may be lit towards me but the fact remains on road you move with the traffic flow and not alone.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

The only place where Indians show urgency in their lives is the ROAD!
I wonder why don't show the same urgency, in other walks of life?
Old 7th August 2010, 10:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I have the same problem with Indicas too. Someone said that Alto and M800 are slower than an Indica - I do not believe that.

Indicas are the slowest off the block and when they have to climb uphill - God help you if they slow down on the way up (been at the receiving end lots of times climbing thru the Kailas Complex uphill towards Powai)

For me the older gen Indicas are the slowest cars in India - the newer ones are just about marginally better.
I drive a xeta GLX since 2006. While driving to Mahabaleshwar many times during this period, I had to honk at certain so called "performance cars". It is about the driver of the car and/or the condition of the car.

The point I want to stress is do not generalize.

Like someone who had bad experience with Indica, I have had lots of bad experiences with M800, Alto and many other cars. Does that mean all those cars are inherently bad?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks