Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 20:28   #1
SCH
BHPian

Do you hate if you have a car which is slow off the blocks at a traffic light?

Hi Gurus,

Many times I notice and I try to avoid the situation to have an Indica in front of me while waiting at a traffice signal or in a lsow moving traffice.

Inadvertly it happens that the Indicas are at very slow speed at initial pick up or when they have to break and then pick up speed again.

It is really very frustating to be behind an Indica at this time in traffic. many times it causes the light to go back to red if you are behind an Indica.

Have any other person noticed this and what is your opinion about it.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

You mean to say when the signal is green and the traffic is moving and you have an indica in front of you which has a lethargic pickup and hence by the time it pushes through the signal, it turns red, right ?

Well it really depends on the queue. Trucks standing still, require even more time to pickup and will result in further delays. Patience is a virtue my friend and how much will a few minutes at a signal cost anyway, unless it is a medical emergency ?

When I was a new driver, at bund garden signal in Pune, it turned green and the alto in front could not move. While the other lanes were moving. I was getting honked at incessantly by the people behind. I got off only to see a scared lady trying to crank a dead engine. I signalled to the others behind to pass as the car is dead. Me with some other people prepared to push the vehicle but voila it suddenly started.
She was scared man! Utterly confused. I felt bad for her and the fact that I too honked w/o knowing the facts. I do not do that anymore.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:49   #3
BHPian

Car Vs Driver

My Friend, This is not a problem with Indica. Indicas can also take off quickly in a signal or anywhere. Probably there are so many indicas that you tend to notice them so well when you see that you have to wait a second redlight in the same signal.

I have got annoyed when I have to wait in the same signal twice continuously but never thought it would be because of the car in front of me. I might blame the driver if he reacts too late but not the car.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its not the Indica,its the traffic conditions that are to be blamed.
there are umpteen no of vehicles that are snail in front of a Indica.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:59   #5
BHPian

I haven't noticed this with Indica's.
I personally hate being behind old fiat taxis at a signal, or anywhere for that matter, they're the real slowpokes.
That said, in many cases its not the car, but the driver who is slow.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:04   #6
BHPian

Have you guys noticed the autowallahs start the auto, good 5 secs after the signal turns green that too when they are the first vehicle in the lane. This is the case here in B'lore. very irritating
Old 6th August 2010, 21:05   #7
BHPian

No I don't hate it when car in front of me does not move. I have been in those situations when I was learning to drive and I have shut off the car umpteen number of times or have over-revved the engine when doing the clutch-accelerator press release.
I rather give the person in the car ahead a benefit of doubt and have some patience, rather than honk and display road-rage.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

O yeah - the traffic light is green!
Oh no - its an Indica cab in front of me!
The NA ones (most cabs) takes ages to pickup speed, and the turbo ones - (as quoted by someone else on tbhp) have no turbo, only lag!

PS: ..............preparing to get blasted by the Indica owners.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Haven't really noticed the Indicas Buttttt
really hate Auto guys who turn of their Autos at a signal and till they start their vehicle the signal is red again.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its a trend here in north india,that traffic starts rolling when timer reaches 5 secs to green.
I dont move until its zero,so for someone behind me,i may be too slow
Old 6th August 2010, 21:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Its a trend here in north india,that traffic starts rolling when timer reaches 5 secs to green.
I dont move until its zero,so for someone behind me,i may be too slow
It happens here in the south too :(

White Indicas (read: the cabs) are the fastest to fly off when the signal is still red.

What irks me is that they expect me to do the same if they are behind me, and the signal still has like 5 seconds to turn green.

Note: No need to fly off once the signal turns green. If you have that habit, you have good chances of hitting someone who may be slow or if the road hasn't cleared yet, or if someone is crossing the road disregarding the signal.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 6th August 2010 at 21:55.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Have you guys noticed the autowallahs start the auto, good 5 secs after the signal turns green that too when they are the first vehicle in the lane. This is the case here in B'lore. very irritating
In Chennai, they start the Autos only after the signal turns green . We also have the completely opposite sort. At times, some Indicas are quite quick off the line too.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have absolutely no problem if a car ahead of me and which is first in line start off slowly once the lights turn green, I feel it always prudent to start slowly as there might be other oncoming vehicles which are trying to beat the signal.

After all it is a traffic signal, not the starting grid of a race track.
Old 6th August 2010, 22:02   #14
BHPian

Dude, why do you think its specific to Indica. In most cases, its a problem with a driver and not with the car. (Don't brand me coz i have indica in my avatar, i own/drive other cars too)

Anyway, why are you so frustrated by this simple 4-5 second delay before you rush your way across the signal. Nobody wants to intentionally wait when there is a green light. You have to understand people's driving capabilities are different, car specs are different, but everyone uses the same road. Would you accept if a guy in Ferrari complains that you are blocking his way?

There an infinite other things that could be set right in Indian traffic culture than the rant about this simple delay. Seriously, does it warrant a separate thread, that too with the title all in CAPS!
Old 6th August 2010, 22:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Hi Gurus,

Many times I notice and I try to avoid the situation to have an Indica in front of me while waiting at a traffice signal or in a lsow moving traffice.

Inadvertly it happens that the Indicas are at very slow speed at initial pick up or when they have to break and then pick up speed again.

It is really very frustating to be behind an Indica at this time in traffic. many times it causes the light to go back to red if you are behind an Indica.

Have any other person noticed this and what is your opinion about it.
You are talking as though Indica is the slowest car in India. Man, do you have anything against Indicas? Or anything funny about Indicas? Why single out one car in particular? There are whole host of other things that can block your way. And by the way what car do YOU drive? You didn't say that.

And no, Indica is not as slow as you think. May be you saw some beat up wheezy Indica. I have seen Indicas embarassing even some sedans.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks