Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 10:21   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Secondly, if you are talking of Figo 1.6 then I fail to understand how exactly its headed to be a success. Our market is not exactly power hungry.

Regards.

You are right, but according to Ford SA, they are launching Figo with a 1.4L duratec petrol there. May be this is the one they are testing.

Source (The Hindu) : The Hindu : Business : Attracting youth in S. Africa, Ford Figo way

A facelift in just 6 months is not justified for a product that is ticking over 6000 vehicles per month .

Also, using a 1.6L already there in Fiesta will only create a overlap in the bands & the potential entry level buyers of Fiesta 1.6 may switch a lower priced Figo & use the xtra cash to add more laterals.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

slightly off topic but i feel the Fiesta Hatch may come into the Indian market and ford might pit it against the likes of i20 etc.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
I dont see why Ford would disguise the car for a new engine variant, unless they wanted to attract more attention. The only altered part (the tail lamps) are undisguised.
My guess is this FIGO is for export to some country,
where safety regulations mandated the addition of those 2 lamps.

When the title of the thread said new Figo pics i scrolled down fast to see whether they have altered the back bumper, but no change.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
I dont see why Ford would disguise the car for a new engine variant, unless they wanted to attract more attention. The only altered part (the tail lamps) are undisguised.

But hoping its the Figo 1.6. That car would be good fun to drive.

Great scoop, btw.
+1 to that. Exactly my thoughts. Where's the need to camouflage a complete car if the only changes are in the engine and an exterior badge!!
Old 9th August 2010, 11:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to note the different temporary number format for the same region TN 19!

While the Figo hatch has TN 19 (TC) the Fiesta hatch has TN 19 A (TCR), i really hope it does mean something!

Also the Figo being tested does not seems to have a key-boot release, it has a key hole there and don't remember seeing one on mine (god help me if there is one!)!
Old 9th August 2010, 11:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
thats a great scoop loved the rear looks of the fiesta hatch .
Now thats something that can give sleepless nights to i20. Looks really good. I am not a fan of Hyundai but I must admit, i20 is one of the best hatches around.
But this one from Ford may just redefine the segment standard. Hope they don't make the product grow too old for the market like what they did with their IKON .Towards the end of IKON's run, there was no meaning in calling it a Josh machine.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Now thats something that can give sleepless nights to i20. Looks really good. I am not a fan of Hyundai but I must admit, i20 is one of the best hatches around.
But this one from Ford may just redefine the segment standard. Hope they don't make the product grow too old for the market like what they did with their IKON .Towards the end of IKON's run, there was no meaning in calling it a Josh machine.
+1 to that. Hyundai will be very very worried as the Fiesta hatch will be priced in the same bracket as i20 too IMO.

If the camouflaged Figo is indeed the 1.6 then it'll be really interesting to see the price band they put it in. Put it in the correct band and then we can call it THE VFM performance hatch.
Old 9th August 2010, 13:33   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Possibly based on feedback of the figo looking a bit drab - as in aged - they may be considering the possiblity of revising the rear tail light cluster look. - Reminds me of the Indica revisions.

Yes the Figo is already selling well, but this could help reduce the feedback on looks aspect.
Old 9th August 2010, 13:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Possibly based on feedback of the figo looking a bit drab - as in aged - they may be considering the possiblity of revising the rear tail light cluster look. - Reminds me of the Indica revisions.

Yes the Figo is already selling well, but this could help reduce the feedback on looks aspect.

But this is way too soon even for minor changes. And what is stranger is that while there are no changes to the body panels the car is camouflaged but the new revised tail lamps are not. What is the point running a camouflaged car then? Ideally when facelifted cars are caught being tested pre-launch its the revised panels/lamps etc. that are covered/hidden.

Really strange.

Regards.
Old 9th August 2010, 15:17   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

MODS : Watermark the pictures please !

Thank you guys. I am equally happy that I could also contribute something to this forum back.

MODS : Please watermark all the pics - forgot to do it in all that excitement last night.

When I think about this incident, some points are really funny!

1. I noticed this car just because it was camouflagued. else almost anyone would pass it on as just a normal figo !

2. The front is well [decently] stickered where there is no change at all and left the rear free where they had some noticeable changes.

3. In the fiesta hatch, only the badge is masked and rest is all left free.

4. The fiesta hatch's headlight resembles the Nissan 370Z so much -- at first I thought its Nissan and then I noticed the masked badge [oval one]

As many pointed out, even I had my doubts that this might be a 1.6 engine -- after all thats one of the easiest thing Ford could do right now. I dont see a need to a tail lamp tweaking cosmetic job as of now as the sales are pretty good and dont think its just the tail lamps that will deter a potential customer from this car.

Figo has already proved its might and a more powerful engine will only had another feather to its cap / fleet !

They may not be looking at a huge sales, but add one more product to their portfolio -- also I believe this doesnt come at a big cost too -- they have the platform set and may require minor modifications to the gearbox or something to get this in a perfect shape. So if you look at the ROI, small numbers might justify them as well.

So petrol heads get something to cheer about, Ford also will be happy with the addition of one more product - it might become the best selling hatch with similar config [powerful petrol - FTD car] as well -- which will be an icing on the cake.

Disclaimer : I forgot to thank my travel mates HABS & MAKS [our Pondicherry travelogue is coming soon] for supporting me to take the pics when I was driving! They said if I dont put their names, they will not click any more scoop pics for me to be proud of!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th August 2010 at 15:23. Reason: additional lines added
Old 9th August 2010, 15:29   #26
BANNED

The camoflage is basically to identify the vehicle as a test vehicle and which belongs to the factory . So the figo being camoflaged does not mean anything .. or there could be some kind of enhancements as well .

I am sure the fiesta will be launched . Ford has picked up momentum with the figo launch and I am definite that they will have more engines and models . The 1.6 engine might be a reality when the localisation happens . The current 1.4 is localised and that is the reason why the figo is priced very well . With such a good factory which compares to the best factories in the world I am sure there will be a lot of models to be launched .
Old 9th August 2010, 16:22   #27
BHPian

Nice catch swiftnfurious, I had seen a similar convoy a few months back and clicked a few snaps. The car I saw was running TN-19-A-002, but had the same tail lamps like on your snaps and it was simply running away too fast...okay mine is only an Indica V2

My guess was that they were running a new engine on it, probably the 1.6 meant for the new Fiesta...but there is no one to confirm it.

My take on the TC and TCR, I think TC could be a permanent plate for a test car and TCR is something imported for test purposes, since TR is a temporary registration in Tamil Nadu.

P.S Just saw anachronix's post...two Kimi fans eh posting on a Ford thread instead of a Citroen....

Last edited by indivic : 9th August 2010 at 16:35.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

A 1.6 Figo with the 15" rims of the S would be something given the dynamics of the Figo!
Old 9th August 2010, 16:35   #29
BHPian

Its a wonderful catch swiftnfurious. Today I checked up with Metro Ford guys about the launch of any new Figo model and they were commpletely clueless !!
Old 9th August 2010, 18:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Its a wonderful catch swiftnfurious.
Thanks Arun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Today I checked up with Metro Ford guys about the launch of any new Figo model and they were commpletely clueless !!
This is precisely why t-bhp is the best. It may also happen that in future the dealers will call up bhpians for knowing the details on new launches happening.

By the way, I was expecting the Figo to do some quick runs once he overtook me -- but the guy was very calm and testing the Figo at around 60-70kmph [Can the 1.6 that slow???] ! I was all geared up for chasing him if he did the speed too, but no luck. I was expecting to get some clue from the driving speed and dynamics.

I waited for sometime and then drove away as we were getting a bit late for our destination.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks