Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 13:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

Fusion is a 'product with a difference' except that traditional Indians didn't want to try something different. Even the advertisement was quirky enough. I dont think Figo is looking decade old: Fabia too has that classic-modern mix look it it.

And if the Figo comes in 1.6, it is more complete product range than the adjective only filled competition.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:23   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
question is, why would they camouflage the entire car for an engine variant?
Cost savings...why should they throw away a monocoque which would have been usable, since the 1.6 engine is anyway going to be mounted on the Figo (assuming that the tests are for a 1.6) why not test it on an old proto ?
Old 13th August 2010, 15:24   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snan View Post
This is such a fantastic news. Thanks for sharing. let us hope the dude sales guy is really clued in and not making a wild guess ! :-). That will be one hot machine to drive - not for racing, just for normal day to day use too it would be one great vehicle. With the kind of dynamics and steering feedback it can squeeze in and run ahead of the city breds. Hope it generates enough buyer demand and becomes a reasonable commercial success too.
Yes, I hope he has the right information and not guessing like us!

But he is not a sales guy - he is the person who handles deliveries - supervises PDI, cleaning, ribbon, garland, explaining the controls & switches to the buyer, sweet box etc etc. In case of my purchase the sales person came accompanied me to the yard where they did the delivery, where this guy took over. In my colleague's case, the sales person did not come - we were asked to go to the yard and this guy handled everything related to the delivery.
Old 13th August 2010, 15:42   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Cost savings...why should they throw away a monocoque which would have been usable, since the 1.6 engine is anyway going to be mounted on the Figo (assuming that the tests are for a 1.6) why not test it on an old proto ?
I think any of the prototypes which are into testing does insane kilometers -- may be lakhs of kms. Also for a new engine there might be changes in gearbox, suspension and all. Plus, the new engine also would be required to be extensively tested -- may be another lakh kilometers. So its always better to have a new prototype which is specific to the new engine itself.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:24   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think any of the prototypes which are into testing does insane kilometers -- may be lakhs of kms. Also for a new engine there might be changes in gearbox, suspension and all. Plus, the new engine also would be required to be extensively tested -- may be another lakh kilometers. So its always better to have a new prototype which is specific to the new engine itself.
May be I did not put it in a correct way, but the monocoque can be the same... right ?
Old 14th August 2010, 23:58   #81
Senior - BHPian

I spotted the same red Fiesta hatch again today on NH46 near Chengalpet, on the way back from Pondicherry. Only black stickers were stuck over the labels/logo. The car was not camouflaged this time either.

I had a chance to see this and a Swift side by side, as I was approaching both of them from behind and slowly overtook both of them. Well what to say, this Fiesta almost makes the Swift look puny, and boring next to it. Very nice shade of red too.
Old 15th August 2010, 14:34   #82
RGK
Senior - BHPian

When I went for tail lamp replacement (done after escalating to ford) in the service centre, the PDI person from Ford (direct) told that Fiesta hatch would be launched early next year. Meanwhile Ford has to gear up for the stiff competition in the segment.

A nice scoop by swiftnfurious & rajushank84
Old 15th August 2010, 15:12   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Good, since they will be now out of the 1.2 L benefits bracket, they can get rid of those paper thin bumpers too, as now they dont have to keep it below 4m.

Open the bonnet and check, there is a huge amount of empty space available. The wafer thin bumpers are due to pedestrian safety norms, not the 4M limit.
Old 16th August 2010, 02:10   #84
BHPian

I went to test drive the Figo petrol and the showroom owner told me that he himself has driven the all new Fiesta Hatch. Its set to launch in Feb 2011. Both Sedan and Hatch Fiesta. The sedan fiesta would be at a higher segment (11L+). Might compete with Civic, Corolla etc.
Old 16th August 2010, 02:51   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
The sedan fiesta would be at a higher segment (11L+). Might compete with Civic, Corolla etc.
The Fiesta sedan is small and should be competing against ANHC, VW Vento etc. The Ford Focus is the one which will be positioned against Civic/Corolla.

Last edited by harishnair : 16th August 2010 at 02:52.
Old 16th August 2010, 03:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

I am not an expert on the advertising/ branding side of cars. However I dont quite understand the efforts that manufacturers take to hide their new product launches. is thsi normal procedure across all manufacturers? do they do so to:
a. hide features from competition
b. save themselves from potential embarrassment in case a product fails?
c. create a buzz among people by keeping things secret
d. a combination of the above
e; any other - please contribute

I think it would be so much added publicity for the product launch if these things were done openly rather than something being done as a covert spy operation.
the way I look at it is its a game of one upsmanship. maybe they only get the products to test on open roads when they want to create a buzz before the launch. or maybe we have so many alert eyes on the road that they cannot go unnoticed..
Old 16th August 2010, 16:14   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe it is to prevent the competitors from knowing the product. The way I could think -- the testing cycle is quite huge and by the time some one gets the product ready, the competitors could make some changes [facelifting their products] to match the specs of the new product. This would let the new product down.

Probably thats the reason they hide it. Plus there you get that additional hype without paying anything

It definitely adds a lot of buzz -- If I were a manufacturer, I would have let one of my pre-production unit to do the rounds in DAY LIGHT [ofcourse camouflaged] so that it gets due attention. Then I could follow the leads in the internet and get details as to what people think about it and whats the expectation of people from the car.

Then I could take one or two points from the forums and incorporate it -- I know the wish lists are HUGE though.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:31   #88
BHPian

OK, so far from this thread here is what I have understood.

- New Fiesta to be launched in sedan and hatch version
- Sedan to be priced at 11+L

Going a little further, here is probably what will happen in addition

- The current Fiesta will continue in the current / lower price range and maybe replace the Ikon?
- The Fiesta hatch to be sold at a lower price range than the sedan competing against the Jazz / Fabia or opening a new price band?

Well what do you think?
Old 16th August 2010, 18:48   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Open the bonnet and check, there is a huge amount of empty space available. The wafer thin bumpers are due to pedestrian safety norms, not the 4M limit.
I agree 4m is not the reason for non-existent bumpers. There s still some way to go for 4m for Figo.
However how would that be a pedestrian safety norm? can you explain.

If you look at the engine bay there s really a big gap between the condensor and the engine. The SA told me it provides better efficiency.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:01   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
However how would that be a pedestrian safety norm? can you explain.
I mean the flimsy looking bumper (when compared with older cars) is due to pedestrian safety norms, most of the new cars have it. Such bumpers more often than not can't be repaired and need to be replaced after even the slightest hits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks