Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 03:22   #1
BHPian

All New Ambassador 2011

KOLKATA: The Amby simply refuses to die. The iconic car that draws its lineage from Morris Oxford series II (Landmaster) and series III (Ambassador) is set to undergo the most ambitious makeover ever with heart as well as cosmetic surgery lined up to revive its sagging popularity.

Though Hindustan Motors will continue to manufacture the current Ambassador for the taxi segment, it expects the new avatar to become the bread-earner for the company in 3-5 years. "The new Amby will have a retro design and sport cutting-edge engineering to compete on comfort and value for money. Overseas experts have been roped in for the metamorphosis. The new version will be ready by January-February 2011 for test trials and is expected to undergo validation by May so that commercial production can begin next July," chairman C K Birla told TOI on the sideslines of the AGM on Tuesday.

While the platform and overall dimensions will be retained, the exteriors will be comprehensively redesigned by auto styling experts from Europe. MD Manoj Jha said the new car will look very different from the current Ambassador. "The new car will be a sibling of the Ambassador but the change will be so holistic that it will be a completely different vehicle. Apart from the new-look retro exterior, the interiors will be revamped. It will be powered by BS IV-complaint and BS V-ready 1.5 litre and 2 litre di-esel as well as petrol engines that are powerful and fuel-efficient. Overseas technology firms are working on each aspect of the car to ensure the vehicle is on a par with cont-emporary vehicles on Indian roads in terms of built quality and reliability," he said.

Source ToI : Amby planning 2011 comeback

Mods: I did not find a thread on new amby and think it deserves a dedicated thread. Please feel free to merge/remove this if not appropriate.

Old 11th August 2010, 03:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan Motors definition of 'All new' is not what most human beings have in mind. An odd tinker with the lights or grille is a major occasion in the company's history books whether its the Ambassador or a Mitsubishi.

Considering that the 'All new Ambassador will be based on the existing platform and dimensions, I think what we are looking at most is a reskin job. The 1.5 (BMC) and 2.0 (Isuzu) diesels mean the existing engines will be worked upon.

Well at least it cant get any worser than what it already is.
Old 11th August 2010, 04:01   #3
BANNED

HM should pop in a Subaru turbo all wheel drive under the bonnet, tweak the suspension, Xenon lights, led tail lights, alloys, fancy audio, steering mounted controls, climate control, power everything, ABS, airbags, etc

All this, but maintain the same old body, chassis. The joys of beating an Accord/Camry/Skoda in a drag run would simply be incredible. I have space in a small corner of my heart for the shape of the Amby, I would still get it if it gave me all of what I mentioned above. How likely is that??
Old 11th August 2010, 05:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'll buy it, if only it looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Breaking News: Amby planning 2011 comeback-amby2011.jpg  

Old 11th August 2010, 07:49   #5
BHPian

'While the platform and overall
dimensions will be retained'
Whats the fun in retaining a 60 yrs old platform?
Ok the company can save a lot bucks by not going for a new platform, but IMO to compete with our ultra new breed of cars in terms of dynamics, weight and safety, company should also think about changing the platform all together.
Old 11th August 2010, 09:42   #6
BHPian

Breaking News: Amby planning 2011 comeback

Source - Amby planning 2011 comeback - India Business - Business - The Times of India

Overall, excellent

Quote:
KOLKATA: The Amby simply refuses to die. The iconic car that draws its lineage from Morris Oxford series II (Landmaster) and series III (Ambassador) is set to undergo the most ambitious makeover ever with heart as well as cosmetic surgery lined up to revive its sagging popularity.

Though Hindustan Motors will continue to manufacture the current Ambassador for the taxi segment, it expects the new avatar to become the bread-earner for the company in 3-5 years. "The new Amby will have a retro design and sport cutting-edge engineering to compete on comfort and value for money. Overseas experts have been roped in for the metamorphosis. The new version will be ready by January-February 2011 for test trials and is expected to undergo validation by May so that commercial production can begin next July," chairman C K Birla told TOI on the sideslines of the AGM on Tuesday.

While the platform and overall dimensions will be retained, the exteriors will be comprehensively redesigned by auto styling experts from Europe. MD Manoj Jha said the new car will look very different from the current Ambassador. "The new car will be a sibling of the Ambassador but the change will be so holistic that it will be a completely different vehicle. Apart from the new-look retro exterior, the interiors will be revamped. It will be powered by BS IV-complaint and BS V-ready 1.5 litre and 2 litre di-esel as well as petrol engines that are powerful and fuel-efficient. Overseas technology firms are working on each aspect of the car to ensure the vehicle is on a par with cont-emporary vehicles on Indian roads in terms of built quality and reliability," he said.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 11th August 2010 at 09:44. Reason: Removed fonts
Old 11th August 2010, 09:47   #7
BHPian

A Classic in the making?

Good news, in a way. I hope they are not looking at numbers. Apart from the car itself, they must revamp their service network and customer approach.

Though, I hope personally, that this car will get as famous as its 2-wheeled cousin, Bullet Classic.
Old 11th August 2010, 09:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

How do they plan to make a 60-year old design more "retro" ? But, best wishes to HM for continuing the brand.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Exactly how do you make a 50-60 year old model look 'retro'? Make it look like the model T?

Jokes apart - I also wish that sensibility prevails this time in HM and they totally revamp the Amby with porsche like looks and stonker of engines. We have amby diehards who would go back and buy a new and improved amby.

Exactly which segment do they target with this 'new amby'?
Old 11th August 2010, 10:49   #10
BHPian

Did you notice the emphasis on "overseas experts" through out the article? C'mon, H.M, try to do something yourself for a change. But then what else can one expect of a comapny which did not bother to change anything major for over 60+ years
Old 11th August 2010, 11:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My guess is that many folks on this forum are in their 20s maybe and never really driven an Ambassador. Before anyone gets too exited, I suggest going to your nearest Hindustan Motors Antique Store and try an ambassador out. I hadn't driven one since we sold ours in the early 90s. A year or so ago, I happened to come across a proud relative in my home town who bought one because *The back seat is the most comfortable in the world* argument.

I drove this thing and was completely shocked by the handling. This thing is honestly unsafe at any speed over 60 kmph. I don't know how overseas experts can make this platform safe..
Old 11th August 2010, 11:39   #12
BHPian

Handling at high speeds

I drive an ambassador currently and can vouch that it handles as well as any of the new cars at high speeds. There is some body roll but other wise it is absolutely blissful to drive too.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like HM is on their decade-ly changes again.
The Marks of the '70s,'80s, the Nova and Classics of the '90s,the Grande and Avigo of the '00s.
Now something for the '10s.
hope they are serious about the interiors and discard the cardboard beige interiors.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:07   #14
BHPian

Here's something that could pass as an evolution of the Amby shape.
Breaking News: Amby planning 2011 comeback-saab1_460x0w.jpg

Its a Saab Hot Rod , but you get what i mean by saying that the shape is still fashionable if done right!.I hope many can see the similarities in the lines and i don't get lynched for this post .
Old 11th August 2010, 13:01   #15
BHPian

Although an amby is always very close to my heart, I'll stop myself from getting excited mainly because:

1. What we are reading is just the news of HM trying to wake up from its slumber. It'll have loads to catch up. Basically they'll have to reinvent themselves in a very short span of time if they want to compete with the likes of Fiesta-s, Verna-s (the probable segment I'm expecting the new amby). The new design needs to be something really drastic if they're hoping to change the game.

2. A company which takes 20 years to wake up from the slumber and knowing the work culture that company has, I don't buy this statement: "The new version will be ready by January-February 2011 for test trials and is expected to undergo validation by May so that commercial production can begin next July". Did they account for time that'll be wasted due to striking unions?

3. Accepted that an amby can be taken to any roadside garage with confidence for repairs, but to compete with the likes of modern sedans in the market they'll have to win back the heart of the customers back. In today's world things have changed. They'll have to revamp their entire dealership network and authorized service centers. And the most difficult fact for them is that even if they manage to do everything perfect, people will think twice before putting their money in an amby. Its indeed ironic though given the history the grand old amby has.

Most Viewed