Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 13:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Let us not mock HM even before seeing the refreshed model. It might be good. The new Beetle is a retro design, people loved it. HM might succeed in getting the design right.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
The new Beetle is a retro design, people loved it. HM might succeed in getting the design right.

The new Bettle and new 911 still carries design cues from the past, but their are completely new platforms generations ahead of the original ones.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:32   #18
BHPian

Great News from AMBY. How ever time/design will tell who is the winner. I always love to drive a AMBY though...
Mod: Please merge the thread. There is already a thread is running.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-comeback.html
Old 11th August 2010, 13:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Oh No... Not again.. Why cant HM start with a fresh sheet of paper??

Even if by a miracle HM finally get a good design, their fantastic QC is going to spoil the party...
Old 11th August 2010, 14:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

The"ALL NEW" in HM doesnt mean just adding up New grille,headlights and tail lamps, hopefully.

Last edited by agspins : 11th August 2010 at 14:27.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Here's something that could pass as an evolution of the Amby shape.
Attachment 403820

Its a Saab Hot Rod , but you get what i mean by saying that the shape is still fashionable if done right!.I hope many can see the similarities in the lines and i don't get lynched for this post .
I would love to buy the new amby if it is anywhere close to this + if they retain the structure of the original seats!
Old 15th August 2010, 10:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

News taken from 'The Hindu'.
""HM to sell it's office in chennai and is going to develop an integrated IT township and auto ancillary park in Uttarpara.!!! (Amby to IT?)
Also the news said that HM was looking forward to restyling and "repositioning" of the Ambassador and also launching new models in the SUV segment!!!""
Does anyone knows who exactly are the 'overseas experts'?
Read somwhere that they are european or is it the chinese Shandong Shifeng?
As HM is alread manufacturing the Winner with chinese help.
The SUVs ,well it can't be HM designed or chinese,as Shangdong doesn't have any SUVs in it's line up.
So rest assured that the Pajero Sports and/or the RVR from Misubishi stable is heading our way.
Old 15th August 2010, 11:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

The intregated IT township in uttarpara was on the cards for a long time back so no surprise on that front.
Even i think the "overseas" experts maybe chinese.HM IMO should retire the amby instead going through these "reincarnations".It was a great car,a legend and milestone among automobiles in india,it deserves a respectful exit,not an "el cheapo" modification destroying it looks.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Let us not mock HM even before seeing the refreshed model. It might be good. The new Beetle is a retro design, people loved it. HM might succeed in getting the design right.
After the original beetle, VW made these cars (among others)

Karmann Ghia
Scirocco
Golf
Corrado

And then made the new beetle.

HM has made the Classic and the avigo.
These gave me nightmares when I first saw them!
Old 15th August 2010, 13:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My guess is that many folks on this forum are in their 20s maybe and never really driven an Ambassador. Before anyone gets too exited, I suggest going to your nearest Hindustan Motors Antique Store and try an ambassador out. I hadn't driven one since we sold ours in the early 90s. A year or so ago, I happened to come across a proud relative in my home town who bought one because *The back seat is the most comfortable in the world* argument.

I drove this thing and was completely shocked by the handling. This thing is honestly unsafe at any speed over 60 kmph. I don't know how overseas experts can make this platform safe..
We had a Blue Ambassador from 1966 to 1970 and I never found any handling issues with that upto 100 kmph. The Amby may be old as per today's standards but till today there is no other car which is more comfortable than an Amby. That was a true family car which could carry the entire family and the friends and the dog also. Sure it used to have frequent problems but that was due to the poor component quality and not due to the poor design.

Motoring in an Ambassador, Herald or Fiat in those older golden days had a romance while cruising at a gentle pace on half deserted roads lined by big trees which is sorely missing from the tension filled driving as prevalent now a days.
Old 15th August 2010, 15:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Retro looks is one thing, but keeping the old platform is another. How will they address the safety concerns and the boaty handling if the old platform is retained? Or do they even acknowledge that these are concerns?

IMHO they should come up with a new platform and maybe borrow some cosmetic elements from the old Amby and give it a new look - and maintain the Amby badge of course, with its virtues like sofa seat and huge boot.

Yes in olden days there used to be a certain charm in cruising. But that is lost now, not due to the newer cars but due to population increase and economic development leading to more people buying cars. If the same Heralds, Fiats and Ambys are driven in today's traffic it won't give the same feeling.
Old 15th August 2010, 15:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ambassador as a car is complete only after the custom modifications be it the famous Koyas upholstery or the imported Isuzu engines(even G1) and 5 speed box, excellent metallic paint finish etc. None will buy it now.
Old 15th August 2010, 16:31   #28
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

With better design, interiors, engine and quality - I'm sure that the Amby can make a good comeback. I remember Dilip Chhabria had designed the "Future Ambassador" in the late 90's or early 2000's. It was featured in one of the Auto India magazines.

HM could also take some design cues from DC's Amberoid (obviously without the pricetag).
Old 15th August 2010, 17:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Any idea which 1.5L and 2.0L engines are being considered for the forthcoming models?
Old 15th August 2010, 18:53   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

It's most probably the present 1.5 and 2.0 diesel engines with the 1.5 being changed for the BS V norms.
Details about the petrol version said are sketchy(best hope for the present 1.8 ISUZU.
Only if HM ( or the 'overseas expert' ) designed the new amby on the lines of this.
Not this much radical,still a bit inspiration from this and make a practical 4 door.
the Volga v12 coupe.
MODS: Thr file attachment button is not working properly and i managed to post only one photo after 3 attempts.
Attached Thumbnails
Breaking News: Amby planning 2011 comeback-alevel_volgav12coupe2001_r16.jpg  

Last edited by DicKy : 15th August 2010 at 19:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks