Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 16:50   #196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
If anything, that's good news. I know I know, I love DSG's too, but from a reliability and TCO perspective, I think a normal torque converter is juuuuuust fine.
Probably a good choice since they cant have DSGs failing and people spreading word the car is unreliable. VW seems to be playing the sensible game here.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:00   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
for comparison sake, what's the price of Hondacity S and V MT versions in bangalore? (considering discounts and freebies available in the City)

I don't know how the prices of VW is lower in Bangalore than Hyderabad whereas Bangalore has a higher road tax! Will try to get the prices for Hyderabad ASAP.
If highline (P) is 9.7L
Honda City (S) variant is 10.14L (with some additional discounts now, it will be around the same price probably) - the V variant is more expensive..
SX4 ZXi with discounts is 8.75L (~1L cheaper)

Verna SXi (Diesel) is 10.1L
Fiesta ZXi (Diesel) is 9.09L
Fiesta SXi (Diesel) is 9.83L
The highline (Diesel) would probably be around 10.9L - ~ 1L more expensive than ford and Hyndai's top end models..
Old 12th August 2010, 17:09   #198
Senior - BHPian

The base petrol model of the vento is soley to drive the consumer towards the new product. Once they have the person in the showroom the bulk of them will go in for the top of the line model. This happened with the linea.The base was /is priced very competatively however The bulk sales are of the petrol emotion pk model. I am sticking to the petrol car here. The diesel will sell feature or no feature.
Having said this , i think the base petrol model is a raw deal.It s very sparcely equipped.And they are really charging for what they are actually giving. So i would hold my horses with the " killer pricing " tag until GTO gives it actual goo.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:10   #199
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure what the excitement is about even before someone has actually had a chance to sit inside the car leave alone drive it. For starters if Polo is to go buy, it would be cramped for space in rear (the wheelbase has just increased marginally). The basic car is same as Polo apart from the engines, and the ACC as far as I am aware. The boot too, has less space than City thanks to tyre intruding in the boot.

Now the base Honda City Petrol (E-MT) is for . 809,000 ex showroom. Now if you remove airbags, abs, give 14inch wheels, 14 inch tyres, no indoor adjustable power mirrors etc... Honda can easily shave off 60-70k and bring City down to 7.4 lakhs levels. I know V-MT tells a different story, but Honda has been able to pull it off. If things change in the future, than the consumer wins

Given the fact that City has more space, more powerful engine, more FE giving engine, Honda dealership network, and its not a mere boot job. I think 40k premium is warranted.

Having said that, kudos to VW nonetheless for the excellent diesel. BTW is the auto a DSG?

Last edited by aseem : 12th August 2010 at 17:13.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:19   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1.6L Petrol Trendline : 6,99,000
1.6L Petrol Highline : 823,500

Fiat Linea:
Linea Active Petrol : 641,523
Linea Emotion PK Petrol : 765,674
Pricing is OK, IMO it could have been better in order to wipe out the competition totally . It will be interesting to see at what price Fiat launches Linea 1.4 T-Jet.

Last edited by HammerHead : 12th August 2010 at 17:22.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:35   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Nearly a 1.25 lakh difference between trendline & highline sounds wierd.

What are the expected features for trendline in that case!? The bare bone version of the Vento!?
The Trendline is actually bare bone shod with puny 14 " steel tyres.

No ABS
No Airbags
No Music System
No Fog Lamps
No Security System

But comparatively the price difference between the Trendline & Highline is substantial, they (Petrol) make the Sx4 or Linea a better VFM or for a matter of fact an ANHC if you can spare a little bit more.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:39   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
If highline (P) is 9.7L
Honda City (S) variant is 10.14L (with some additional discounts now, it will be around the same price probably) - the V variant is more expensive..
SX4 ZXi with discounts is 8.75L (~1L cheaper)

Verna SXi (Diesel) is 10.1L
Fiesta ZXi (Diesel) is 9.09L
Fiesta SXi (Diesel) is 9.83L
The highline (Diesel) would probably be around 10.9L - ~ 1L more expensive than ford and Hyndai's top end models..
Looks like the Vento Highline pricing is similar to the Honda city S, whereas the City V will be 50K-60K odd costlier but City has better space, more powerful and efficient engine and a bigger boot. Honda might be giving some good discounts on the CIty to make it more attractive. Too soon to write off the City IMO!
The on-road price difference between the Polo and Vento is approx 3L, whereas the difference with the Polo 1.6 HL is 2.5L - sensible pricing I would say but not a killer pricing!
Old 12th August 2010, 17:41   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

Well, some manufacturers treat the spare wheel as just that - a "spare" which is not meant for regular use & rotation. They discourage using it for anything other than driving down to the nearest puncture repair shop.

But how much money they are going to save by giving a 1" smaller wheel and tyre. They have already saved by giving the steel spare wheel instead of one alloy wheel. Giving a different sized tyre is bad penny pinching and makes that tyre practically useless.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:48   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome!

AWESOME ! AWESOME ! AWESOME !

Hey GTO..didnt they give the keys?? No probs, just snatch it and take her for a spin

Guys, I just put the pricing info from GTO's first post into an excel and pasting it here -- hope this makes the comparison easier.

Also please note that I have highlighted the base variant and top variant pricing of all models to get a feel of the difference. The other columns are blank since the number of variants are different across all models.

Name:  VW_Vento_price_comparison.JPG
Views: 14042
Size:  64.7 KB
Old 12th August 2010, 17:49   #205
BHPian

Agreed there will be a coupla extra inches for the poor rear passenger's legs. Shoulder room will still be bad, as it is in Polo. Boot is miniscule compared to other sedans.

And the pricing isn't exactly VFM now, is it?

So, not quite sure what the hullaballoo is all about!!

Last edited by WindRide : 12th August 2010 at 17:50.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:59   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Pricing is OK, IMO it could have been better in order to wipe out the competition totally . It will be interesting to see at what price Fiat launches Linea 1.4 T-Jet.
Exactly. I was surprised how everybody is gung ho about the pricing. Its VFM only compared to City thats it. I guess FIAT should price TJet around 7.9L.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:06   #207
BHPian

The AT is a tiptronic one, looks like this will have upperedge in providing better fuel efficiency.

i would have loved to have Diesel AT tiptronic

-MUKE
Old 12th August 2010, 18:17   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Exactly. I was surprised how everybody is gung ho about the pricing. Its VFM only compared to City thats it. I guess FIAT should price TJet around 7.9L.
+1, Typical New Launch reaction IMO, dosent seem to be a VFM Package. Linea seems to be the VFM package if the chart posted two posts earlier is considered.

Where are the Steering Mounted Controls ? Why have Volkswagen skimped on this feature, even the Ritz have them.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:38   #209
Senior - BHPian

Finally a good C segment diesel sedan!!! I dont think its a VFM after looking at the specs of Trendline and the Highline diesel would cost above 10 lacs OTR . I think its 2 lacs + higher than Polo 1.2 TDI Highline. I would say its still 50k more expensive than being called a VFM or killer pricing. But end of the day its looks like a promising product.
Old 12th August 2010, 18:51   #210
Senior - BHPian

1) The pricing is very attractive, VW is damn serious about the Indian market.

2) Vento will do what SX4 and Linea could not, killing G3HC ( ANHC ). SX4 in isolation is doing a good numbers when we consider that it has only one engine option as compared to multiple engine options offered by most of the competition. But SX4 could not give a long and consistent fight to Honda City irrespective of generations. Vento is likely to do that.

3) Cost of spares. I understand that many parts will be shared, like headlights, switchgear, front suspension, front doors. Lets see what are the spare part costs of Vento. For the parts that are common if VW puts the shared parts at a premium for Vento, then they are cheating customers.

4) Waiting list. We have seen what has happened to Polo. Similar waiting list will not help as the competition in the segment of Vento is very high, there are a lot of VFM products that are proven and competent. Honda has an edge here.

5) Dealerships and service costs. Remains to be seen. Even Polo is not old enough.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed