Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 03:10   #61
BHPian

Good new GTO. Nice to see this segment heating up - a segment which was dominated by the 'city' hitherto.

GTO, Since you say you had an up & personal look at the Vento, can you give a short comparison on the interiors, layout, space, quality of plastics etc between the Vento & the City. I guess the driving dynamics write up has to wait until you or some expert takes her for a spin.
Old 12th August 2010, 03:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Pretty smart on the pricing. I think they could have undercut even further, because they seemed to have factored some of the hit they are taking on the "Trendline" by pricing the "Highline"s a little higher (1.2l plus price difference). Also the automatic, 1 lakh more? Any additional equipment in it? As a lot of people already said, a diesel automatic would be a killer! And wish they could price their highline models a little cheaper (around some psychologically significant numbers) - Petrol highline at 799000, Diesel highline at 899000, automatics at 849000 (and diesel automatic at 949000), would surely have blown apart the segment.

Now waiting for the full test report!
Old 12th August 2010, 03:24   #63
J.Ravi

Kudos to VW for the mouth-watering prices!

I think, Honda Siel, Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai Motors have to worry more than Fiat India. Anyway, competition is good for customers ultimately. After introduction of Linea T-jet, we will get the real picture. ANHC will definitely get more impact with considerably reduced numbers after introduction of VW Vento. For Fiat Linea, which is selling around 1000 per month, the impact will be less, IMO.

Waiting for the detailed TD report, GTO.

Old 12th August 2010, 03:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

Applauses - to GTO & Team-BHP for the scoop, and to VW for the pricing. Am all eager to see how the 1.6D performs. And I wish it will trickle down to the Polo someday!!
Old 12th August 2010, 04:10   #65
BHPian

Vento Spec

Wow, this is killer pricing. I wonder why they only have 2 variants :(
Here are the specs-

Quote:
Volkswagen Vento Specifications
Vento 1.6 liter petrol
Power : 104 Hp @ 5250 rpm
Torque : 153 Nm @ 3800 rpm
Transmission: 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic

Vento 1.6 liter TDI diesel
Power : 104 Hp @ 4400 rpm
Torque : 250 Nm @ 1500-2500 rpm
Transmission: 5-speed manual

Exterior -

Wheels : 14″ wheels with wheel caps (Trendline); 15″ alloys(Highline)
Mirrors/Door handles : Black (Trendline); Body coloured (Highline)
Fog Lamps : No (Trendline); Standard(Highline)

Interior -

Colour: Black and Beige (Trendline); Black and Beige (Highline)
Steering, gear knob : No leather finish (Trendline); Leather finish (Highline)
Seat fabric : Livon fabric (Trendline); Livon superior fabric (Highline)
Rear Armrest : No (Trendline); Yes (Highline)

Safety -

ABS : No (Trendline); Yes (Highline)
Airbags : No (Trendline); 2, Driver & passenger (Highline)
Fog lamps : No (Trendline); Front & Rear (Highline)
Engine Immobilizer : Yes (Trendline); Yes (Highline)

Equipment -

AC : Yes (Trendline); Climate control (Highline)
Remote locking : No (Trendline); Yes (Highline)
Rear AC vents : Yes (Trendline); Yes (Highline)
ORVM adjust : Internal (Trendline); Internal, electric (Highline)
Boot release : Internal (Trendline); Remote (Highline)
Defogger : Yes (Trendline); Yes (Highline)
Music system : No (Trendline); CD/MP3 4-speakers (Highline)

Colours -

Trendline : Candy White, Flash Red
Highline : Reflex Silver Metallic, Shadow Blue Metallic, Terra Beige Metallic, Deep Black Pearl

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volkswagen Vento detailed specifications -

Vento Features: (Trendline)

Exterior
14″ steel wheels with full wheel caps •Chrome inlays in front grille to the left and right of the
Volkswagen logo•Body coloured bumpers• Black exterior door handles & mirrors• Halogen
headlights• Partially zinc coated body with 6 years anti-rust warranty • Rough road package with
increased ground clearance

Interior
Front doors with storage compartments including holder for 1 litre bottle • Rear doors with storage
compartments• Storage compartment for sunglasses inside the glove box• Fully lined trunk and trunk
floor • Trunk illumination• Foldable roof handles with coat hooks(3x) • Warning triangle holder • Center
console including 2 cupholders • Front centre armrest including cupholder for rear seat• Front center
console including 12V outlet• Rear seat backrest, Fixed Gear lever surround, inner door handles &
AC vents with chrome•2 tone anti-glare dashboard, Black & Beige• Sun visors with ticket holder on
driver’s side • Sun visors with vanity mirror on passenger’s side • Livon” fabric upholstery

Safety & security
Height adjustable 3 points front seat belt•3-point safety belts for rear outboard occupants, lap belt for
rear middle occupant• Front headrests and rear headrests, height-adjustable • High mount stop lamp•
Day night rear view mirror• Front disc brakes • Electronic immobilizer•

Comfort & Convenience
Power steering, rake & reach adjustable • AC with rear AC vents• Central locking• Push-push’ type
fuel lid opener, centrally lockable• Outer rear view mirrors manually adjustable from inside• All four
power windows, with driver side one touch down• Electric trunk opening • Rear defogger• White
instrument back-lights• Parking lights • Radio preparation with speaker & antenna pre-wiring • Front
intermittent wipers• Dust and pollen filter•14″ steel spare wheel

Colours Available
Candy White • Flash Red

Vento Features: Highline (Additional over Trendline)

Exterior
• Body colored outside mirrors and door handles • 15” Alloy wheels • Chrome strip on trunk• Paint,
metallic and pearl effect• Chrome finish on front air dam and fog light surrounds • Green wedge at top
section of windshield

Interior
Co-driver seat adjustable from rear seat for additional leg room• Interior Chrome package •Genuine
leather wrapped steering wheel, gear shift knob, hand brake lever and gear shift boot• Rear centre
arm rest • “Livon” superior upholstery

Safety
ABS• Front Airbags for driver and co-driver• Anti Theft system with interior surveillance and back up
alarm• Fog light, front & rear

Comfort & Convenience
Electrically adjustable outside mirrors • Climatronic automatic air conditioning •Comfort power
windows •Height adjustable driver seat• Remote control for central locking, incl 2 keys • Multi function
info display including door opening warning • Radio with CD player MP3 and four speaker including
roof Atenna•14” steel spare wheel

Colours Available
Reflex Silver Metallic •Shadow Blue Metallic • Terra Beige Metallic •Deep Black Pearl
Source: BSMotoring

Last edited by erohit : 12th August 2010 at 04:14.
Old 12th August 2010, 04:17   #66
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A starting price of 6.99 lakhs is just killer. Even the top end diesel costs 9.23 lakhs which is somethin way less than I assumed. Though what I am worried about is the waiting period, can go upto more than 6 months starting from week one. Great job done VW.
Awaiting the detailed test report and pics soon.
Old 12th August 2010, 04:25   #67
BHPian

This seems like the best of the lot in the Compact Sedans category. With VW build and handling, this car by default should either start on par with or above City. Anything less would be a let down.

With that said, I think the manufacturers should start reducing the 1 lakh price gap between petrol Vs. diesel and Manual Vs. AT. I hope someone starts with this strategy soon..
Old 12th August 2010, 06:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Killer pricing by VW, definitely will bring in a storm in the segment.
Old 12th August 2010, 07:16   #69
Senior - BHPian

I am head over heels. Never expected such a competitive pricing from VW.
Man, they are real serious about business in India, aren't they ?

TD, is what i am waiting for and BTW, bye bye ANHC
Old 12th August 2010, 07:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

Great VFM

Awesome Veedub Simply Awesome!

Atleast I won't have to see the rear of so many DZires on road.

But will VW be able to make enough Ventos to challenge the ANHC & DZire?

or will it be another Fortuner err Polo?
Old 12th August 2010, 07:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

I think steering mounted audio controls are missing even in the Highline trim level as shown in a picture in another thread. This may remain a sore point. Otherwise the specs looks pretty good.
Old 12th August 2010, 07:58   #72
BHPian

Round 1 - Japs vs Germans

I think we are headed for a VW vs Honda brand warfare very soon, makes for a very interesting market study. Honda founded in 1948, Volkswagen (people's car) the german blue chip company which has been around the late 1930's. Honda is an established brand for over a decade. VW is a new entrant but very strong global presence has made intentions are very clear with the aggressive pricing.
Although i must admit that it would be quite tough to dethrone the existing sedan king (C segment) but i'm sure VW must have a trick up its sleeve and will spring a few more surprises. The german car maker will need to up the levels on reliability, after sales and brand value if it wants get even close to Honda. Lets wait and watch.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:02   #73
Senior - BHPian

The Diesel variant is putting Cruze to shame; while the Petrol variants are putting Civic to shame. Rightly said, God bless competition. This pricing with the above spec is going to flood the market with Ventos, no doubt; but what's Volkswagen India plan on dealership & A.S.S?

A relative of mine from Nagercoil booked Polo & he'd to go to either Trivandrum which is 2 hours drive or to Madurai which is 3-4 hours.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:19   #74
Team-BHP Support

Vento City is truly the most exciting head on competition between these two brands.

Polo - Jazz: not woth considering because of how wrong the Jazz has gone on its own.

Civic - Jetta: My money would be on the Civic. Jetta hasn't brought a worthy enough petrol engine to compete sensibly and the diesels are way overpriced.

Accord - Passat: The Accord may face some heat from the Superb but the Passat really hasn't made a dent. Again ridiculous pricing and not even in A.T anymore.

City - Vento: Now this is where the competition b/w these two mega brands will really be interesting. The kit levels in the respective top of the lines seems much better in the Vento than the City. One has to remember though that Honda still has much superior service back up. If the Honda retains a meaningful edge on FE, cost of ownership, service back up etc then it may still be too soon to announce VW as a winner just yet. I also heard that the VW petrol engine is slightly outdated but don't know that for sure.

Let the comparo reviews begin !! I feel even if Honda doesn't 'reduce' prices, better kit levels for notional price increase may turn out to be inevitable.

EDIT: Sorry didn't factor in the diesels. A Vento diesel is really where the nail in the coffin will lie. I'm unfortunately in the market very strictly for A/Ts only for very specific reasons. But for the MT purchaser, the diesel highline vento is probably excellent value.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th August 2010 at 08:38.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:19   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The Diesel variant is putting Cruze to shame; while the Petrol variants are putting Civic to shame.
Exactly on what grounds are they putting these respective cars to shame? Civic is a much bigger and a more powerful car, Vento is not even in the same league!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
City - Vento: Now this is where the competition b/w these two mega brands will really be interesting. The kit levels in the respective top of the lines seems much better in the Vento than the City. One has to remember though that Honda still has much superior service back up. If the Honda retains a meaningful edge on FE, cost of ownership, service back up etc then it may still be too soon to announce VW as a winner just yet. I also heard that the VW engine is slightly outdated but don't know that for sure.
FE is going to be in favor of VW. Not because the petrols will be ore efficient than ANHC - It's sure going to be less. But they have diesels and i am sure that would make the car a big hit in India.

And here's the other thing - this is the cheapest, fully loaded German sedan in a market which adores German cars.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 12th August 2010 at 08:24.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed