Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 10:52   #106
Senior - BHPian

City and Fiesta might survive the vento onslaught, but SX4 and Verna... hmm. Have to wait and watch.
Old 12th August 2010, 10:58   #107
Senior - BHPian

So who is buying the Toyota Diesel now? I guess not many. I had almost decided on the ANHC but now I will seriously have to reconsider. A capable diesel with better driving dynamics at the price of a ANHC looks pretty tempting to me now.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:03   #108
SCH
BHPian

Vento Petrol higline is cheaper by 82 K as compared to Honda City VMT.. ANy guesses on the FE part. I guess it would be around 14/15. City figure is 16.5.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:06   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I dont know if today it has arrived there but yesterday evening it was displayed at a hotel in Jaipur and coincidentally it was a white one too that GTO has mentioned.
which hotel dude?i am in bani park.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:06   #110
BHPian

Good news from GTO. The pricing details confirmed by GTO are close on the earlier guidance released by the company.

Would eagerly await GTOs test drive report.

For making VW Vento a phenomenal success, 3 areas which need to be addressed on priority :

1. Good & Extensive dealership support - the ones in Delhi remain clueless wrt even basic queries like when a vehicle for test drive would be available. Their customer orientation needs to be improved dramatically

2. Reducing waiting time - Buyers might tend to change their mind. High quality delivered after long waiting periods might not be well accepted by the Indian customer when other options are available

3. Cost effective maintenance - If service and repair costs fall in the same bracket as Skoda, it may be a big deterrent for customers.

Next few weeks might indicate if personally my loyalties shift from the Ford fans club.

SM
Old 12th August 2010, 11:07   #111
Team-BHP Support

So how about both the engines? Have they been developed new?
Petrol? Dont tell me that the petrol is the same as Old Jetta 1.6 Petrol as to find its in Polo 1.6?

And how about diesel? Is it a new one? Or its already doing duty in some other continent?
Old 12th August 2010, 11:11   #112
BHPian

This is indeed a great price, kept to expectations and will surely hurt everyone in this segment in the short term, afterall, it has novelty and vw badge going for it. But the huge waiting periods seen for polo may also manifest here and this segment is not as forgiving! I do hope that VW gets it act together quickly enough
Old 12th August 2010, 11:15   #113
BHPian

Killer pricing by VW...way to go...the price difference between base and top end is a bit more than what i expected but overall great addition to the entry level Sedan segment..
waiting for your detailed review GTO! that will decide whether my upgrade from a hatch will be a Vento or ANHC!
Old 12th August 2010, 11:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

Killer pricing indeed from VW. But, I miss a Comfortline in between.

Honda executives must be very since the last evening & they ought, with VW trumping the Japs in Quality scores in US & Europe & proving equally good (if not better) in the FE department, they ought to have sleepless nights & nightmarish days.

Hope the Japs learn a lesson & eat the humble pie, i.e. reduce their price.
Also, hope that VW increase their dealer network & production as well to meet to the initial demand rush. Finally, a good sedan in the price range that is equally good to challenge the City.

How many have till now read the Aria Test-Report (by Flying Spur) since yesterday?
Old 12th August 2010, 11:23   #115
Senior - BHPian

Come on, look at the 'No' against features in the Trendline. Its a lot of omissions. Higher versions are sure better than Honda City. Hoping City to get new features.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:34   #116

Why didn't they launch a comfortline variant?
Hope they launch it later with ABS and price well.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:34   #117
Senior - BHPian

My take: Well VW is aiming more at the Fiesta, Dezire, Manza, SX4 Vxi territory than a direct onslought at City. As always you would see a hype, initial sales, before the dust settles. It may also dethrone City for some time to come just like SX4 did in its hay day. But one would have to factor, how many of the numbers VW does, are from VW Trendline Petrol, and how many are from Highline to get the true picture.

As a prespective buyer in this segment, I can tell you something called as brand erosion. Why wont someone buy a Dezire Zxi with all bells and whistles and instead settle for Verna Base or Fiesta? Because they rather be assocaited with a 7-9 lakh rupee car than to be seen in 5-7 lakh rupee car. In other words given a choice between 7 lakh top end of desire and 7 lakh base of Fiesta, many folks will simply jump ship. The reason behind that is when you price something between 7-10 most ppl end up buying the car starting at 7 lakhs, therefore the one driving 10 lakh rupee car does not get the same brand value/snob value.

Now Honda can easily chop off 50k of Honda City EMT by shaving off airbags and ABS. Kudos to them they havent yet given into the temptation of making safety optional at the expense of numbers. Same is true for Jazz. Its safe to say given a choice Indians would go for a music system and make safety optional if it means saving money, but Honda has not gone that route.

So by having City start at 8.5 lakhs, Honda gives its owners some exclusivity and bragging rights over Vento P in particular. Yes we can talk about features, but I think in time we will realize that space, engineering, engine are more important than climate control and some other goodies. City's petrol package would still be unbeatable.

The diesel is a totally different value proposition though. If it had come with an Auto, it would have been a game changer for VW. I welcome competition, and wish VW best of luck. At the end of the day, cosumer wins.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:38   #118
BHPian

Excellent analysis, aseem. Completely agree with you. Its too early to write off the City.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:39   #119
BHPian

There seem to be a lot of speculation that Vento will make a big dent in the Honda market share.

I have my reservations on this speculation. Honda is a tried, tested and trusted brand in India that has made inroads over the last many, many years.

It is not easy too shake off loyalties and trust built over the last many years.

Vento will have to prove itself to the Indian customer to carve a niche for itself.

SM
Old 12th August 2010, 11:42   #120
Senior - BHPian

I see little logic in your argument Aseem. The Vento is a proper sedan with features, engine specs and the price point to compete with the City.

Why in the world would you pit it against the D'zire?

I also appreciate Honda's commitment to emphasize on safety, but the top end Vento is priced very close to the base ANHC. Which means you get a lot of other bells and whistles apart from the safety aspect.

So it turns out to be a fairer proposition.

The ANHC is overpriced, and that is something as clear as daylight to everyone.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks