Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 03:14   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
count me in... TD or no TD... I continue with booking the car I was supposed to book

wonder if GTO got stuck in the TD car and it broke down in the middle of nowhere... after all, don't they make it in the same place as a skoda?

Unless you have plenty of money to spare, do not book a car without a test drive. Each car feels slightly different to each individual, so even after GTO's review, you ought to test drive it before booking.

Let me also add, that buying a car right when it's launched, is not such a great idea. Accomplished manufacturers also have niggling issues with initial production runs and that's a fact. I know it's a new launch, but if you've waited for this car for a while, you might as well wait for a little while longer. After all, the pricing isn't exactly the peach many had assumed it to be (clever marketing yes, inexpensive, NO).
Old 13th August 2010, 08:18   #242
BHPian

^^ already TD'd the car that I am going to book, multiple times, with family to boot.

Was talking about GTO's TD or no TD of the Vento. I've not waited for the Vento. Didn't like its looks as much - and it looks like the Polo from the front.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:36   #243
BHPian

Their product website seems to be ready -> Vento

Interesting to note that the website is not linked to the main page Welcome to Volkswagen India. or any other menus
Old 13th August 2010, 08:38   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
The 6.99 figure is just to create the perception that it is affordable. The real deal is only in highline which is costlier by a huge margin.
Probably and I get your point. But safety is paramount, and VW could also have taken a leadership stand wrt it, and tried to push up the image of VW cars by touting safety at all price points with the Vento.
In any case, we enthusiasts, need to highlight and emphasize on safety, and therefore, my stand remains the same regardless of price. VW wouldn't sell a car w/o airbags in Europe or ?
And leaving out ABS is downright skimping on safety. Skimp on some other features to keep price points if that's a must, would be my take on it...
Old 13th August 2010, 08:40   #245
Senior - BHPian

Strange omission in the Vento brochure - no mention of the boot space! Anyone knows?
Question to all - I did not see seatbelt with pretensioners and load limiters in the Vento or Polo brochure. Can anyone confirm?
Old 13th August 2010, 08:45   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ already TD'd the car that I am going to book, multiple times, with family to boot.

Was talking about GTO's TD or no TD of the Vento. I've not waited for the Vento. Didn't like its looks as much - and it looks like the Polo from the front.

Fair enough, apologies for being pedantic for no good reason.
Old 13th August 2010, 09:22   #247
BHPian

NDTV has done a very brief review. Video here
Old 13th August 2010, 09:38   #248
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
NDTV has done a very brief review. Video here
Thanks for the video.
That looks like pretty good legroom for the rear seats.
Old 13th August 2010, 09:39   #249
BHPian

Wow! Seeing this thread only today :-(

1.6 P HL is surely my next car, but i would give Vento a year to prove its metal and also see VW A.S.S.

I see many comparing Vento with Fiesta and SX4 is terms of pricing and goodies, but i feel VW demands the brand snob value as well. After all its one of the biggest carmakers in the globe.

City sells like hot cakes inspite of being way expensive than SX4 and Fiesta. Why? Because of the H logo, then why not VW?

Honda Accord 2.4MT Bangalore ORP Bangalore (figure frm ACI ): almost 23 lakhs
Hyundai Sonata Transform 2.4MT Bangalore ORP Bangalore (figure frm ACI ): almost 17.5 lacs
That is 5.5 lacs cheaper, but still people buy Accord, why? Both have the H logo, what makes the difference in whether that H is straight or in italics.

I mean everyone would admit that they would better prefer to be seen in H and VW than Blue Oval or S.

Disclaimer: I own a Swift (S)/I agree that Fiesta is the best driver's car south of 10 Lacs
Old 13th August 2010, 10:03   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Thanks for the video.
That looks like pretty good legroom for the rear seats.
Please view that video in correct resolution - 4:3 format instead of the wider format. The wider format makes the car look really long and space look really good.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:10   #251
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Please view that video in correct resolution - 4:3 format instead of the wider format. The wider format makes the car look really long and space look really good.
I am very well aware of video formats and it is not the first time i am watching video from ndtv site. I have seen other videos of car and bike show too online, so my observation was strictly in comparison in segment Eg: fiesta

Last edited by mxx : 13th August 2010 at 10:17.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:31   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I am very well aware of video formats and it is not the first time i am watching video from ndtv site. I have seen other videos of car and bike show too online, so my observation was strictly in comparison in segment Eg: fiesta
Yes, it is definitely better than Fiesta. The car is 10cm longer, after all.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:38   #253
BHPian

So finally its here. Looks nice from the side but the front view is a big spoiler. Every other car in its league has a better front profile. What was VW thinking. Styling goes way back in time. Interior looks good, any day better than a fiesta, but cant really go by videos. Will wait for the TD before i make the final call on the space issue.
For exterior looks it does not cross 4/10 ( totally my personal opinion )
But still considering the VW rep, the engine should be worth the try.
Hope my TD is impressive enough do take the plunge.
Its become a real pain to find the right car at the right price.
No ultimate sedan as yet.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:02   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Unless you have plenty of money to spare, do not book a car without a test drive. Each car feels slightly different to each individual, so even after GTO's review, you ought to test drive it before booking.

Let me also add, that buying a car right when it's launched, is not such a great idea. Accomplished manufacturers also have niggling issues with initial production runs and that's a fact. I know it's a new launch, but if you've waited for this car for a while, you might as well wait for a little while longer. After all, the pricing isn't exactly the peach many had assumed it to be (clever marketing yes, inexpensive, NO).
Fully agreed with you on this, I have been literally carrying a cheque in my bag for the last almost a month, but rationally thinking it is always better to let the initial excitement die and let the car prove its metal. Companies have also been known to take the feed back in the initial first few months of launch and do some minor changes. (I would at least expect steering mounted controls for one.)

I have already had this experience by jumping the gun and felt short charged when M&M launched the upgraded version of the Scorpio MHawk with enhanced looks and features within a short span of launching the original one and that too at a lower price.

So though I am very much interested in this car I would for once like to exercise patience and probably go for it after another 6 months or so, or may be if Honda decides to do some realignment if its prices vis a vis the features I would go for a ANHC.

Last edited by m_upreti : 13th August 2010 at 11:08.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:11   #255

This thread is blazing hot.

Two points:

1 - Yes, VW did goof up on the ABS issue. All things said and done, having ABS as standard fitment on your ride does provide a sense of having spent your money well. Mods and after-market additions like ICE upgrades and leather seat covers will happen, no matter what the base version comes in with. But ABS sure does spice up the overall package. VW, hope you're listening.

2 - That said, a lot depends on the kind of driver you are. I speak for my community in saying that a fantastic handler with decent equipment is on any day better than a loaded-to-the-gills offering with only average road manners. Case in point- The ANHC. It's got everything you would desire in a pricey car and yet every time I drive on I kinda feel disconnected from the road. Maybe it cossets you with so much luxury that you don't get to "drive" the thing, only waft in silence from A to B.

So if the Vento is built to last, doesn't develop too many creaks and rattles early on and offers superb drive dynamics, it makes more sense (to me at least) to go for it over the rest of the pack. After all, any car will get you from A to B. But to be able to grin silly every time you hit the road, you need a car that drives.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks