Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 00:02   #301
BHPian

some how not satisfied with front look of the entry level sedans of these days (simply upgrading the hatchbacks without much design change to save cost) swift - swift dzire, punto - linea, indica - indigo, polo - vento. difficult to judge whether sedan or hatchback from front look...
Old 14th August 2010, 01:59   #302
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Just finished reading all the 20 pages. Its beautiful to observe the flow of the discussion. From the initial gung-ho reactions to the 6.99L and 'killer pricing' hysteria to the realization of the barebone-ness of the 6.99 version followed by the more realistic apple-to-apple comparisons of similar-featured variants from competition and the eventual enlightenment of the masses that '6.99 is not necessarily VFM'. Loved the way the discussion matured as more data and balanced views were presented.

As a prospective ANHC VMT buyer, Vento was on my radar. I would possibly not opt for Vento Petrol Highline because the the 80-85K 'discount' (as compared to the VMT) is not huge enough for me to take a risk on a unproven car with limited dealer network. If Honda rationalizes the price for ANHC based on the perceived threat from the Vento, that would be a really sweat deal

The Vento Diesel Highline is bang in the ANHC VMT range (just 18K more) and the torque and the FE numbers seem very good. Based on GTO's review, (purely for keeping the fuel-bill in control,) might get tempted to take a chance with the Vento Diesel Highline.

Last edited by SDP : 14th August 2010 at 02:03.
Old 14th August 2010, 02:04   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Just finished reading all the 20 pages. Its beautiful to observe the flow of the discussion. From the initial gung-ho reactions to the 6.99L and 'killer pricing' hysteria to the realization of the barebone-ness of the 6.99 version followed by the more realistic apple-to-apple comparisons of similar-featured variants from competition and the eventual enlightenment of the masses that '6.99 is not necessarily VFM'. Loved the way the discussion matured as more data and balanced views were presented.

As a prospective ANHC VMT buyer, Vento was on my radar. I would possibly not opt for Vento Petrol Highline because the the 80-85K 'discount' (as compared to the VMT) is not huge enough for me to take a risk on a unproven car with limited dealer network. If Honda rationalizes the price for ANHC based on the perceived threat from the Vento, that would be a really sweat deal

The Vento Diesel Highline is bang in the ANHC VMT range (just 18K more) and the torque and the FE numbers seem very good. Based on GTO's review, (purely for keeping the fuel-bill in control,) might get tempted to take a chance with the Vento Diesel Highline.
Correct, which was the first post that you thought sang a different tune ?
Old 14th August 2010, 09:03   #304
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Carwale got a road test, Volkswagen Vento First Drive - Winds of Change - CarWale.com
Looks like all current road tests are giving a thumbs up, more to the diesel. Going to be an interesting few months ahead! Diesel will surely pull a few buyers of the V-MT model
Old 14th August 2010, 10:17   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking for the Vento brochure I had downloaded, I accidentally opened the Jetta brochure. It is depressing that the Jetta has so much more.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:39   #306
BHPian

Just read the Carwale review, more importantly saw the interior pics. The car just seems to be so much more well made than the Linea (that I own). Its amazing finish and quality stands out.

Whether the car is a success or not, it a different story. It surely is an sincere attempt by VW to enter the India market. Polo probably fell a little short on expectations. Vento seems to have covered up for those lapses.

I am excited!!

On the side note: Why do all threads end up being a "comparison" thread? Lets try to focus on Vento and ignore City for now. Vento deserves that.
Old 14th August 2010, 11:15   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Looking for the Vento brochure I had downloaded, I accidentally opened the Jetta brochure. It is depressing that the Jetta has so much more.
Such as?

I expect the Jetta will have more features, otherwise how will VW differentiate between the two? Am actually quite delighted with what they've offered in the Vento- it's as if they designed this car with me in mind

Am in Prabhadevi today- saw a white sedan on display through the window but was going too fast to tell whether it was a Vento or a Jetta. Will stroll down and chat with the showroom guys sometime soon.
Old 14th August 2010, 11:31   #308
BHPian

Rear legroom with front seats pushed all the way back.

--

What are the rotary knobs on both sides of the a/c display? Is climatronic a/c something like tiptronic i.e. manual + automatic?

There seems to be an auto button, as well as the dials.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento @ 6.99 lakhs!-2869.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento @ 6.99 lakhs!-2934.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento @ 6.99 lakhs!-2960.jpg  

Last edited by echo77 : 14th August 2010 at 11:48.
Old 14th August 2010, 11:46   #309
Team-BHP Support

This does not seem to be the same petrol engine as the Jetta.

IIRC, the Jetta had 2 valves per cylinder and a SOHC head, this has a 16V DOHC head.

Should be atleast a bit more lively than the Jetta's coupled with the weight advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
What are the rotary knobs on both sides of the a/c display? Is climatronic a/c something like tiptronic i.e. manual + automatic?

There seems to be an auto button, as well as the dials.
Climatronic is same as climate control. In some cars the climate control settings are via buttons for temperature and blower and in some it's by knobs that turn. The Auto mode will maintain the temperature set by the knob by varying the blower and compressor cut off.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th August 2010 at 11:49.
Old 14th August 2010, 13:17   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It also costs so much more
Old 14th August 2010, 13:30   #311
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand what the bigotry about different bands is about (generally).
Honda sells because of its mileage & high class image (because of NRIs working mid levels jobs in Europe, America & Arab, including my family members). No doubt I give full marks for its stellar reliability & superiority over the SX4s, Verna types as an overall package (actually it does not vouch my certificate, it is really that good).

But, where we fail to analyse is the availability of diesel & equally good dependability of VWs. Yes the VWs are becoming that good these days. Honda is yet to have a diesel in their Indian armoury. Any good diesel from a manufacturer, which does not has a small (cheap/affordable) car image (read Suzuki & Hyundai) is bound to give the City a good competition.

It is that point where the high prices of City will matter the most... & equally important will be the role of Comfortline version in Vento's line-up, which I believe could be introduced later. We have already seen the sales of Honda City fall to 3.5k from 5k mainly because of Ford's Limited Editions & Dzire's & Manza's success. I have no doubt that the Vento (diesel atleast) will affect City's sales, even if by mere 500 units.

After going through most of the previous post I realised that if we continue supporting the Honda blindly, our position could be like that of an Ostrich in danger (same as that of Honda executives).
Old 14th August 2010, 13:37   #312
Senior - BHPian

I went through the VW Vento brouchre and i have a couple of queries

- No USB support for the music system? I recollect reading it in an earlier thread on this topic that vento will have a provision for this.
- I can see a mention of only ABS everywhere, does that mean no EBD? How is it in polo?
Old 14th August 2010, 14:13   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I went through the VW Vento brouchre and i have a couple of queries

- No USB support for the music system? I recollect reading it in an earlier thread on this topic that vento will have a provision for this.
- I can see a mention of only ABS everywhere, does that mean no EBD? How is it in polo?
usb/aux: that was a misinformation. there is no aux/usb in vento and the music system is exactly the same as polo, which is strictly average on quality.
Old 14th August 2010, 14:40   #314
BHPian

Excellent pricing strategy by VW. The reaction from the competition will be good for the buyers.
Old 14th August 2010, 15:11   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
Rear legroom with front seats pushed all the way back.
Folks - can someone explain why the center tunnel for German cars is raised so high in most of their cars as to impede a comfortable 3 seating at the rear?

This does not so high in Japanese / Korean / Indian cars.

I find Vento Highline to be of superb value subject to good A*S*S and component reliability.

Cheers,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed