Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 15:12   #316
BHPian

Guys went to my Volkswagen dealer today and booked my Vento.The dealer told me that the deliveries will be starting from Sept 6.This car is real value for money package.
Old 14th August 2010, 15:13   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Leave aside the City, the range starts bang in the SX4 / Verna territory

1.6L Petrol Trendline : 6,99,000
1.6L Petrol Highline : 823,500
1.6L Petrol Highline (Automatic) : 921,500
1.6L Diesel Trendline : 799,000
1.6L Diesel Highline : 923,500

All prices ex-showroom Delhi

Want the full test report?

Chief competitor Honda City:

City 1.5 E MT : 813,500
City 1.5 S MT : 860,500
City 1.5 V MT : 905,500
City 1.5 V AT : 977,500

Hyundai Verna:
Verna 1.6 VTVT : 674,805
Verna 1.6 SX VTVT : 750,869
Verna 1.5 CRDi VGT : 788,350
Verna 1.5 CRDi VGT WITH AUDIO : 806,891
Verna 1.5 SX CRDi VGT : 857,626
Verna 1.5 SX CRDi VGT AT : 922,013

Maruti SX4:
Maruti SX4 VXI : 691873.61
Maruti SX4 ZXI MT : 767040.76
Maruti SX4 ZXI MT, LEATHER: 801129.60
Maruti SX4 ZXI AT : 833138.04
Maruti SX4 ZXI AT LEATHER : 867227.11

Fiat Linea:
Linea Active Petrol : 641,523
Linea Dynamic Petrol : 667,983
Linea Emotion Petrol : 734,118
Linea Emotion PK Petrol : 765,674
Linea Active Diesel : 736,123
Linea Dynamic : 766,656
Linea Emotion : 812,450
Linea Emotion PK : 868,416

As they say, God bless competiton!
For the manual versions Vento is the way to go for the automatic i have other thoughts;

Vento - 1.6L Petrol Highline (Automatic) : 921,500

Honda City - 1.5 V (AT) : 977,500

Maruti SX4 - ZXI (AT) LEATHER : 867227.11

Hyundai Verna - 1.5 SX CRDi VGT AT : 922,013

Mu pick would still be the City, although its 50k more but i get an assured resale value plus a spanking new engine and a ct gearbox as compared to the old gen 1.6 with a six speed auto, on the VW. Why pay in excess of 100ks for only an automatic gearbox. Weird i say.After sales also is a worry and if compared to the Verna its a choice between a spanker of a crdi engine with diesel economy and faster than the petrol Vento and the SX4 is almost 60K cheaper with all the plus points of the City and fantastic serviceability.

VW has got to get its pricing right somewhere. Shopping for a mid seg auto, does not matter if its diesel or petrol.

The Vento Im not buying.
Old 14th August 2010, 15:17   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
[the Jetta] also costs so much more
but... it's also also quite a lot bigger!
Old 14th August 2010, 15:18   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
Guys went to my Volkswagen dealer today and booked my Vento.The dealer told me that the deliveries will be starting from Sept 6.This car is real value for money package.
Seems that they are booking everywhere except Mumbai
Old 14th August 2010, 17:26   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Mu pick would still be the City, although its 50k more but i get an assured resale value plus a spanking new engine and a ct gearbox as compared to the old gen 1.6 with a six speed auto, on the VW.
Isn't this engine a completely new one? The older one is getting retired I thought. Can somebody clarify?
Old 14th August 2010, 17:39   #321
Team-BHP Support

I believe they are taking bookings in Bbay as well - 75K is the down payment amount.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:05   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Isn't this engine a completely new one? The older one is getting retired I thought. Can somebody clarify?
Its a completely new engine.The Jetta has a different 1.6.One of the key difference is mentioned in the above post.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:34   #323
Senior - BHPian

Ifficial specs make no mention of DSG. THey just say 6 spd AT with tiptronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
This does not seem to be the same petrol engine as the Jetta.

IIRC, the Jetta had 2 valves per cylinder and a SOHC head, this has a 16V DOHC head.

Should be atleast a bit more lively than the Jetta's coupled with the weight advantage.
I could'nt find any official info whether it 16 or 8V. Guesing based on rpm. Any links?

Last edited by Mpower : 15th August 2010 at 00:44.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:52   #324
Senior - BHPian

Neither could I.

But do you think we are talking of the same engine as in this link (2006 Volkswagen CrossPolo 1.6 16v specs, specifications, tech specs - 5 door 1.6 litre (1598 cc) S4 105.4 PS, 5 speed manual) ? Seems so to me. In case it is, then we have a 16v DOHC.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:55   #325

With all the comparisions and hypes on VW-V with other C segment cars like ANHC, Verna, Linea, Fiesta, Altis, Optra, Cedia etc, I must admit Vento is attracting a lot of attention. I was hunting for a car for 10 lac and was not willing to go for Hyundai, Maruti or Fiat only because their image is not in line with a C or C+ segment owners expectation.

I was not very perticular on the "DEAD PEDAL" OR "USB/AUX" in the Car. Since I was not keen on ANHC due to various reasons, I was zeroing on Vento ignoring these small things. VW-Vento caught my attention at the initial press release and I was expecting this price after factoring the improvements over POLO. Its pricing and look (both interior and exterior) also appealed me. It was a decision taken almost in favor of VENTO.

Now comes the experience. The vento dealers in New Delhi probably taking all the enquiries as sure-shot sale and probably busy in day-dreaming. Even the interaction of the executives at the showrooms are pathetic to be precise. I felt pity of me after speaking with a lady over phone in Bhasin Moters,south extension. When I visited the showroom, they have no information on the car. I could not speak with the numbers given in the web site (no one picks). There are different reports on the booking and booking amount. Hell lot of confusion and no consistency. I remembered what happened to Palio a few years back, after the initial hype. Volkswagen is on the Skoda way for sure..............

Honda has much better service standards and all the hype about Vento will have no bearing if A-S-S is not assured. VW has not yet proven itself in India. Even the hot selling POLO is a new kid.

I am slowly changing my mind in favor of ANHC again..... any views?
Old 14th August 2010, 18:56   #326
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! Just saw this now! Fantastic pricing - looking forward to the t-bhp official review!

IMO, the Vento is the Octavia's true successor - it'll do wonders for VW.
Old 14th August 2010, 21:03   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditmohanty View Post
With all the comparisions and hypes on VW-V with other C segment cars like ANHC, Verna, Linea, Fiesta, Altis, Optra, Cedia etc, I must admit Vento is attracting a lot of attention. I was hunting for a car for 10 lac and was not willing to go for Hyundai, Maruti or Fiat only because their image is not in line with a C or C+ segment owners expectation.

I was not very perticular on the "DEAD PEDAL" OR "USB/AUX" in the Car. Since I was not keen on ANHC due to various reasons, I was zeroing on Vento ignoring these small things. VW-Vento caught my attention at the initial press release and I was expecting this price after factoring the improvements over POLO. Its pricing and look (both interior and exterior) also appealed me. It was a decision taken almost in favor of VENTO.

Now comes the experience. The vento dealers in New Delhi probably taking all the enquiries as sure-shot sale and probably busy in day-dreaming. Even the interaction of the executives at the showrooms are pathetic to be precise. I felt pity of me after speaking with a lady over phone in Bhasin Moters,south extension. When I visited the showroom, they have no information on the car. I could not speak with the numbers given in the web site (no one picks). There are different reports on the booking and booking amount. Hell lot of confusion and no consistency. I remembered what happened to Palio a few years back, after the initial hype. Volkswagen is on the Skoda way for sure..............

Honda has much better service standards and all the hype about Vento will have no bearing if A-S-S is not assured. VW has not yet proven itself in India. Even the hot selling POLO is a new kid.

Why not hold on till you test drive the vehicle? It might just have been an overwhelming couple of days for the dealers. I've been talking to quite a few of them this week and they know a little less about the vehicle than us who have access to this forum.

Am looking at the optra and cedia as options

India is an important market and VW has a lot at stake. The
Old 14th August 2010, 21:13   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I believe they are taking bookings in Bbay as well - 75K is the down payment amount.
That's correct. Just spent a pleasant three quarters of an hour at VW downtown which is close to where I am today. Bummer was they didn't have a TD vehicle but the sales guy promised to call me as soon as one is available. I am pretty sold on the AT. Couple of things from my encounter:

* Delivery for booking made today would be in end September
* 75 k for booking. Dealer claims to have made 50 bookings already.
* asked for colour options. They say my favourite Terra Beige will only arrive in Jan. Other Colors available. There is a 6 year anti corrosion warranty on the body and 3 year on the paint it seems.
* Was a little apprehensive having heard of unfriendly VAG stories but they treated us nice. Drove in with wife and kid so perhaps they pegged me as serious buyer.
* On road of 10.09 is a pleasant surprice, pardon the pun. Mumbai reg is 50k extra.
* They are clearly distancing themselves from Skoda on service front. I specifically asked given Skoda 's pathetic A.S.S and they confirm they have nothing in common with that bunch. Service window for first service is 15,000 km. They are throwing in free roadside assistance for I think 2 years.
* lack of a display model really sucks. But they were nice enough to let us sit in the Jetta and he pointed out what will be different in Vento. We also checked out the Polo for kicks.

Am sending this from BlackBerry so please excuse any formatting glitches! But was too excited and think this may well be IT! Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th August 2010 at 12:23. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 14th August 2010, 21:20   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditmohanty View Post

I haven't test driven the Vento, but have I been to the showroom(in Bangalore, for work went to Downtown Volkswagen) , but purely from the specs perspective and having driven the city extensively, I'd say that you should go for the ANHC. Test drive the car, the ANHC is indeed quite impressive.

Then, there is a reason for my not liking the VW way of marketing, I hate these .99 sales gimmicks and the Vento and Polo take it to a completely new level. Restricting people to colour choices just to convince them to buy a model for Rs.1 lakh + more?

You don't have to take my word for it, but for the record let me reiterate that the pricing is nothing to be ecstatic about. Yes, VW will probably have a successful launch, but the Vento for me is overpriced for what it offers. It looks too much like the Polo (even the rear taillamps look the same), the rear seat is no where near as spacious as the Linea/City and the dealership's attitude was reprehensible. They literally tried to tell me to bugger off because I wasn't going to buy the car in Bangalore.

I'll test-drive the car when it's available and comment further, but based on the first impressions, what I'd like to be able to do is to edit the thread title to: "VW Vento @ 6.99 lakhs, a sham"
Old 14th August 2010, 21:56   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I'd say that you should go for the ANHC. Test drive the car, the ANHC is indeed quite impressive. I hate these .99 sales gimmicks and the Vento and Polo.......
Here is a good write up in economic times:
Honda is still an aspirational car brand: Jnaneshwar Sen-Interviews-Opinion-The Economic Times
Since I did not want to own a city again, I wanted to look out for options beyond City. It is overpriced too, but the kind of customer experience they provide is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
.....and the dealership's attitude was reprehensible. They literally tried to tell me to bugger off because I wasn't going to buy the car in Bangalore.

I'll test-drive the car when it's available and comment further, but based on the first impressions, what I'd like to be able to do is to edit the thread title to: "VW Vento @ 6.99 lakhs, a sham"

Bang on !!, I felt bit uncomfortable with my experience with VW. Competition is good and Just while replying my friend talks about a "Special Edition of Honda City" on the unveil. I know Honda has the quality and I experienced it. I am thinking of paying the premium for that experience. However I am in no hurry and willing to wait for the ownership experience or a detailed review.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks