Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 20:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Greenhorn, 1405cc TDI managed to survive BS IV.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2010, 20:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

you guys are right. the 1.4 TDI should survive BS4 since tata needs it to power the 1 ton ace.
Its just that I got puzzled since
1. the vista TDI was discontinued
2. the indigo CS TDI was discontinued

both citing BS4 as an excuse.
Plus most engines lost power when tuned for BS4. this one actually seemed to have gained it ( up to 71 from the earlier 68 bhp for the TDI)
The DiCOR coincidentally made 70 bhp, and tata had plonked it in the e-CS, so I thought it had done the same here too.
Now with the vista TDI discontinued, and this taking its place, I'm beginning to wonder if this had been a product repositioning exercise.
Old 19th August 2010, 21:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

and i thought they had plonked in the multijet into the ol indica.Id prefer the old one than the vista.
Old 19th August 2010, 21:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
What could be the proposition for the extra power in the old model Indica?

1. For the Cab industry: To tug a load of passengers for outstation trips from metro cities in the same comfort and pace of an indigo?
2. To consolidate the positioning of Fiat Engines as standard in the Vista / Manza i.e. They dont want to offer this engine with the Vista anymore
Greenhorn- you may be right -Acidkill may also just have hit on the answer -sl no.2 that is!
Old 19th August 2010, 21:22   #20
BHPian

good move by Tata to introduce BS4, I was wondering that they will loose a huge market in personal and taxi segment. I am happy to see new V2 on the road and convince myself that my car is not out dated any more :-)
Old 20th August 2010, 12:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you guys are right. the 1.4 TDI should survive BS4 since tata needs it to power the 1 ton ace.
Its just that I got puzzled since
1. the vista TDI was discontinued
2. the indigo CS TDI was discontinued

both citing BS4 as an excuse.
Plus most engines lost power when tuned for BS4. this one actually seemed to have gained it ( up to 71 from the earlier 68 bhp for the TDI)
The DiCOR coincidentally made 70 bhp, and tata had plonked it in the e-CS, so I thought it had done the same here too.
Now with the vista TDI discontinued, and this taking its place, I'm beginning to wonder if this had been a product repositioning exercise.
with the your point that 1.4L TDI survival is related to 1L Ace. But, IMO Indigo CS got the 1.4L Dicor, because Tatas would like to have own capabilities at engine building rather than depending on outsiders for new-tech engines. the CS is an excellent platform to ensure that the in-house developed engine is put to use & constantly being fine tuned to match the competitors' offerings. Plus it would always be be cheaper to put own engine rather than pay premium for an outsourced engine going in line with image & pricing of the car.

With the Vista, I believe they are trying to induce the feeling of premium hatch to the public, & hence, put the engine that is more appreciated by Indians.

Down the line, I foresee Tatas coming up with a hatch powered by own CRDI tech (Dicor) engines rather than outsourced ones.
Old 20th August 2010, 13:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

Down the line, I foresee Tatas coming up with a hatch powered by own CRDI tech (Dicor) engines rather than outsourced ones.
By outsourced I suppose you mean the engines whose IP rights are owned by someone else, because Tata own the plant where the 1.3MJD is produced (it is a 50:50 partnership)

With respect to the Dicor and Tdi debate, I think Tatas would have seen considerable demand for the CS in metros but weak areas would have been refinement, power delivery etc and therefore decided to use the Dicor in the CS.

Plus the TDi has earned a reputation of being easy to repair which would make it more attractive for the cabbies rather than the Dicor, infact I think cabbies are afraid of the Dicor.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Considering that the new cars only come in DLE and DLS, this is really good for the Taxi market. The DLS may be for the segment which needs a spacious car, yet at the price of a petrol hatch but not to be used as a taxi.

What i liked is that, some things like tachometer come in both DLE and DLS.

Interesting to note that the ARAI mileage of NA variant, which is 950kgs, is 18 kmpl, while the Turbomax which weighs 50kg more, actually gives out 19kmpl.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
What do you drive? A Ferrari? If so, then MAY BE you can call it a rubbish. If you drive any of the other hatches then let me tell you Vista isn't far-removed from it.
@pgsagar : Even Ferrari interiors were rubbish until a few years ago.....for the price that you were paying for it.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:31   #25
BHPian

I had read in the brochure that the front grill has been changed. Can somebody post pictures of the same, the brochure has no front pictures of the car....
Old 22nd August 2010, 22:11   #26
BHPian

The front of the present Tata Indica is not bad. It is the rear which is unchanged for a long time and looks dated. I think, tata should consider a change for the rear of the tata indica.
One important point to remember is that the tata indica is a well tried and tested car. While most of the models of Maruti and other manufacturers owned by private persons and hence run only few thousand kms in a year, most of the taxi indicas run kms in lakhs !!! All problems of the car get reported very fast and get fixed. So, I think, even with a non-attractive rear view, Tata Indica is still a good buy for the price we pay.
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:23   #27
BHPian

The somewhat optimistic name notwithstanding, it seems like a good VFM hatch. I do think that it's a bit unfair to automatically relegate it to taxi duty only. The V2 Turbo was a great personal car too, with good performance and neutral handling. I see that the tyres are 165/65R14 as opposed to 175 section on the old turbos. Also, the only creature comforts are AC (not HVAC) and power steering. Still, it's a great no-frills car.

I wonder what the price difference will be. The website's price page doesn't list the Turbomax seperately, only a BS4 variant of the V2. The price difference between BS4 DLS and BS3 DLS is about 18K, which seems too low to me for it to be the Turbo version.

@nishant_242: The mention of the front grill change in the brochure is with regard to the V2, not the Turbomax. Though I do wish they'd bring back the pre-CityRover front and rear ends while retaining the current front lights. I liked the black mesh grille with the chrome surrounds circa 2004.

@KMohanan: I agree that the Indica's rear is getting too old now. They should do some major redesign, preferably adding a rear quarter glass and extending the wheelbase to match that of the Indigo and also extending the rear overhang to add more bootspace. It might seem like a bad idea to make sheet metal changes in such an old model, but the volumes are good enough, and Maruti did it to the Alto, albeit at the front!

Most Viewed