Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 15:13   #16

maybe a silly thought. but did you check that this was actually your car?
Old 19th August 2010, 16:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Its high time the Govt lets pivate enterprise take over R.T.O services. Its not just the corruption within this department all over the nation, but its how the corruption is both transparent and accepted. Lets not forget that over and above the bribe they eat form each and every vehicle owner the Govt. pays them monthly and after retirement these fat p;gs get pensions paid till they succumb to diabetes, blood pressure, arthiritis or a decaying liver.

Private companies should be allowed to bid for this on a national scale, maybe two or three so that there is always competitive service. Profits should be generated on charges for each new vehicle and subsequent reregistrations or tests and not paid salaries from public funds. They should be held accountable when a taxi or auto that is not roadworthy is still doing rounds on our roads.

Excuse my rant, I know it will only fall on deaf ears.
My sentiments exact !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltisEgo View Post
maybe a silly thought. but did you check that this was actually your car?
Lol. Ofcourse i did. Chassis no. etc ...
Old 19th August 2010, 16:40   #18
BHPian

Oh my God !
I always thought Northeastern states are most lousy in govt affairs.

But this near business hub in Maharashtra

Assam , Jorhat Computerised RC card in ONE WEEK flat.

cheers
Old 19th August 2010, 17:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Private enterprise is even worse. I recently bought a wifi connection and after submitting umpteen ids and filling up the forms etc my first bill has incorrect name and address in each and every row.

As for RTO functioning, Delhi used to have 3 authorities about a decade ago and it was a mess. Today Delhi (not NCR just Delhi) has 24 RTOs(&counting) all computerised and each and every 4 & 2 wheeler showroom is online. A vehicle is delivered with complete documentation right from the showroom with number plates, RC etc no visits to the RTO at all.

If Delhi can do it any other state can do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Its high time the Govt lets pivate enterprise take over R.T.O services. Its not just the corruption within this department all over the nation, but its how the corruption is both transparent and accepted. Lets not forget that over and above the bribe they eat form each and every vehicle owner the Govt. pays them monthly and after retirement these fat p;gs get pensions paid till they succumb to diabetes, blood pressure, arthiritis or a decaying liver.

Private companies should be allowed to bid for this on a national scale, maybe two or three so that there is always competitive service. Profits should be generated on charges for each new vehicle and subsequent reregistrations or tests and not paid salaries from public funds. They should be held accountable when a taxi or auto that is not roadworthy is still doing rounds on our roads.

Excuse my rant, I know it will only fall on deaf ears.

Last edited by khoj : 19th August 2010 at 17:42.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:47   #20
BHPian

This happened to me as well! My Fiat Palio was stamped with a wrong Reg Number! Me being excited, I got the car home without verification. Can home and checked the RC Book and what do i see?! Wrong number!
Called up the Showroom guys, they asked me get it changed during the ... First service!! Man, was is shocked! I said, no way and then took it over to them next day and got it changed!!
Old 19th August 2010, 22:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Kolkata RTO issues the RC Card after 5 - 6 months of registration

Insurance will be unaffected since in the first year of ownership, the car is ensured on the chassis / engine no. and not the registration No. Most RTO's require valid insurance BEFORE registration.
Old 19th August 2010, 23:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

wo..going through these posts i realized...what happened with me isnt a rarity atall !!
Old 20th August 2010, 00:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
wo..going through these posts i realized...what happened with me isnt a rarity atall !!
And that just shows our sorry state of affairs.

I somehow do not agree that putting RTO in the hands of private players is a good move. Heck, the pvt chaps might get greedy too and make things worse cos they'll have targets, deadlines and other performance metrics. Some thing should remain with the government; but that does not mean we get should get shoddy service.
Narendra mentioned that his car has gone to Talegaon 4 times already and the number it came with is not even in the records!

This is an extreme shocker, I dont know whether to be shocked at this particular instance or at the fact that does not seem the first time such a thing has happened!
Old 20th August 2010, 01:11   #24
BHPian

very strange... just goes to show that are systems are too complex and too inefficient. Dont know why an RC book has to get customized for an import like yours?The RC should just be a computerized standard document that can be used to refer to the ownership and hypothecation of any car
Old 20th August 2010, 08:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
And that just shows our sorry state of affairs.
This is an extreme shocker, I dont know whether to be shocked at this particular instance or at the fact that does not seem the first time such a thing has happened!
exactly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
very strange... just goes to show that are systems are too complex and too inefficient. Dont know why an RC book has to get customized for an import like yours?
Beats me too !
moving around now, presuming i wont have the RC book for 2 months more atleast
Old 20th August 2010, 08:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

I see many folks responding against privatization; just imagine one of these in addition...
1. Entire network coverage in India is provided only by MTNL/BSNL
2. Only DD channels are telecasted
3. All the fuel stations are to be operated only by COCO & that too IOL, HP & BPCL only
4. Only Govt banks such as SBI, IOB etc are allowed
5. The insurance providers are only LIC, NIC, OIC

Guys, just imagine the plight, I've personally experienced the bitterness of 1, 4 & 5 before & after private players being allowed in this country.

May be the RTO needn't be privatized completely, probably an alternative private service need to exist in addition to Govt RTO & then the revenue generation needs to be accounted.

Last edited by aargee : 20th August 2010 at 08:59.
Old 20th August 2010, 09:07   #27
J.Ravi

OMG! These people find innovative methods to mess up the things. BTW, I got my Fiat Linea's RC in smart card after seven weeks.

Old 20th August 2010, 09:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
May be the RTO needn't be privatized completely, probably an alternative private service need to exist in addition to Govt RTO & then the revenue generation needs to be accounted.
My friend, thats where the whole issue lies, accountability. If the present RTO are to be made accountable including the revenue generation, there would be no corruption, no fake licences, no fake registrations happening. All would be well but obviously this is not the case.

I had happened to visit the RTO, Thane (near the jail) when my car was already registered and waiting for RC. In fact I had gone with a friend who had work in RTO. I thought I will enquire about the RC. I was told that the RC preparation was in fact given to a private party who had set up in the RTO office itself and this private party earns on daily basis for the no of smart cards prepared. I could see a heap of cards already prepared and some were dated 5 months older.

Just privatization does not help, since the private players too get in the RTO mould sooner than expected and start to act as Gods.
Old 20th August 2010, 10:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
As for the RC book, I guess it takes more than 3 months, generally for all the cars.
I've had a couple of experiences with Andheri recently, the smart card reached me in 4-6 weeks.
Old 20th August 2010, 10:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I've had a couple of experiences with Andheri recently, the smart card reached me in 4-6 weeks.

Oh so u have the card is it ? in that case i suppose i should be getting the card and NOT the RC book in 2 months time. Btw, the beemer is Andheri or Worli registered ?

Most Viewed