Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 10:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine who has a TN registered bike in Pune has just paid the road tax without changing his registration. He got it done through an agent for some 1000 bucks (agents fees). He had to just submit the RC, insurance and PUC.
I'm sure the same can be done in bangalore. If you are paying only the tax i don't think you require an NOC, bank approval, etc.

I have just gone through the process of re-registering my KA bike in Pune. I did not have the invoice. This is not a problem as they have a list of all vehicles and their prices for the past few years which they use to calculate the depreciated value to pay tax on.

I am sure you will be paying quite a big amount because of KA's killer taxes of around 13-15%.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion : Don't even bother to bring your brand new car to Bangalore. The amount you would spend on Karnataka road tax is not justifiable if your duration of stay in the city is one year.

Buy a pre-owner car in Bangalore, use it for one year and then sell it before you leave the city. Or use your office transport facility. Or use public transport (BMTC Volvo buses).

Rohan
Old 25th August 2010, 16:26   #18
BHPian

So after listening to all your suggestions, I decided to do one thing - Postpone the Road Tax payment until my car finishes 15months by this October.

My ultimate challenge now would be to escape the cops for next 3 months in Bangalore which I think would again depend on the roads that I drive by then.

I might need my car daily between Bellandur/HSR Layout to my office in Whitefield. Anyone one of you local guys can predict for me on the risk of getting caught by cops in this track too often.

Sadly I think I should forget shopping and movie going in car. Also do you guys have any idea on cop free roads/areas in Bangalore where we can alternately hangout on weekends.
Old 25th August 2010, 16:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Relax, these days Cops are not catching cars of out of state registration. I am also driving car of other state for almost 5 years in Bangalore. However, 6 months back I paid tax as I am planning to sell this car now. Still, my car has old state number.

Avoid, late night journey as during late night cops checks for drunken driving and may ask you tax receipt. Day time I do not see any issue.

Also avoid any sort of traffic violations, these days after court order cops cannot stop you unless you have done something wrong.

By the way, if you want some saving: then buy a used car that comes around 1.1 Lakh budget in Karnataka, sell it when you leave (price at the time of selling would be your savings). Until then keep your i20 CRDI parked in garage.

Last edited by anujmishra : 25th August 2010 at 16:54.
Old 25th August 2010, 19:14   #20
BHPian

Thanks Anuj, that really helps... but my baby in garage!!! :(
Old 25th August 2010, 20:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to outline some of the monetary risks in keeping the car in garage for extended periods before using it again:
1. Need to clean fuel tank
2. Service fuel pump (most of the time, replace)
3. Clean the fuel injector
4. Replace spark plugs/wires
5. Replace battery (though you can reduce the risk by disconnecting the negative terminal when not in use)
6. Replace brake fluid / clean off rust from brake discs
7. Service the air conditioner (Fill gas + check for leaks).
8. Replace engine oil + filter, and replace again after 2000 kms to flush any rust that accumulated during the non-running time.
9. Replace coolant (to prevent rust accumulation).
10. Tires get brittle, and lose their flexibility. You can continue to use the same set of Tires, if you are ready to take the risk.
11. In some extreme situations, Shock Absorbers (dampers) may need servicing (This may not be needed most of the time).

Please do consider this also before keeping your car 'not in use' for one year.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 25th August 2010 at 20:29.
Old 26th August 2010, 13:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I am trying to outline some of the monetary risks in keeping the car in garage for extended periods before using it again:
1. Need to clean fuel tank
2. Service fuel pump (most of the time, replace)
3. Clean the fuel injector
4. Replace spark plugs/wires
5. Replace battery (though you can reduce the risk by disconnecting the negative terminal when not in use)
6. Replace brake fluid / clean off rust from brake discs
7. Service the air conditioner (Fill gas + check for leaks).
8. Replace engine oil + filter, and replace again after 2000 kms to flush any rust that accumulated during the non-running time.
9. Replace coolant (to prevent rust accumulation).
10. Tires get brittle, and lose their flexibility. You can continue to use the same set of Tires, if you are ready to take the risk.
11. In some extreme situations, Shock Absorbers (dampers) may need servicing (This may not be needed most of the time).

Please do consider this also before keeping your car 'not in use' for one year.
Wow, That's an eye opener!

This has become very interesting now. Situations around me forcing to pay road tax in Bangalore for which i can rather buy Tata Nano ;(
Old 28th August 2010, 14:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotovamsee View Post
So after listening to all your suggestions, I decided to do one thing - Postpone the Road Tax payment until my car finishes 15months by this October.

My ultimate challenge now would be to escape the cops for next 3 months in Bangalore which I think would again depend on the roads that I drive by then.
Yeah, this is the challenging part though for sometime now, I don't see as much RTO checking happening. I did this for 9+ months, and used to drive around the spots where cops would be positioned even though it meant a longer loop.
And tried to not use the car daily ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks