Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 13:05   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ok, so my question - There is a private colony where one 100sqm plot has 5 cars, and the 250 sqm plot has 1 car - the 250 sqm owner has to fight everyday with the other owners for parking his car in front of HIS house and deal with hassles like occasionally flat tyres.

Nobody should care about it, right?
Describes South Delhi perfectly.

The situation here today is much worse. The 100m plot has 4 flats each sold at around 1 crore. That is big money translated to a number of cars for each flat! Each 100m plot has a frontage of 20 feet, how do you accommodate 4 cars, let alone 8 in some cases?

I feel that the cost of parking; whether in commercial areas or on residential colony; should be a part and parcel of "ownership costs". As others have said if you pay for so many items apart from fuel to run the car, why shy away from the costs of parking.

If Hong Kong and Singapore can insist on it, why not Urban India.

By the way, MCD is considering on compulsory "stilt parking" for all new construction. As yet it is for plots larger than 300 sq.m.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:23   #77
BHPian

Can any MODS please add a POLL to this thread?
It would be interesting to know which side the BHP'ans prefer more.
Old 6th September 2010, 17:10   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
You pay road taxes - to pay for the upkeep of the roads. Not to use it for parking.
Can you explain toll roads then ?We can park there, no ?
Quote:
hogging public roads for parking.The reasoning and logic is no different from squatters on public property.
So what am I ? Chopped liver ?
I'm a member of this so called Public. (Just as you are)

Or do you think you are more than the "public" (aam janatha) ?

Quote:
If you cannot afford the rent, either move out or find somewhere else.
Pardon me if I sound rude.
You have NO right telling me this.

Quote:
Don't push your problem to the streets..
Making your dog sh*t in public road, disposing of garbage.. these can be categorized as pushing your problem.

Parking a car is not pushing a problem, please don't be lame.

Quote:
In short if you build you house without provisioning for parking, you should be prepared for life a life without car. The message should have been simple.

The problem is that people want the salary/income of big cities, without willing to pay costs of big cities (including high priced accommodation and parking).
Is this your rule ?
What right you have to "judge" people (the so called general public) and tell them what to do and what not to.

I'm a citizen of this country I have every right to be here as you have.
Noting more noting less.

It because of people who have weird perception and even larger ego this kind of law is passes. I'll bet the "enforcement" will be a joke.

I hope you are not one of them.

PS : No further comments.
Old 6th September 2010, 17:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

For people trying to bring in Singapore, London into the discussion, they did this more from traffic congestion point of view. We are discussing something different here.

People parking in front of their houses on roads in residential areas does not cause traffic congestion.

There are a lot of things that are supposed to be done according to law which is not being done thats leading to our traffic problems. Definitely not parking on roads in residential areas.
Old 6th September 2010, 17:33   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
For people trying to bring in Singapore, London into the discussion, they did this more from traffic congestion point of view. We are discussing something different here.

People parking in front of their houses on roads in residential areas does not cause traffic congestion.

There are a lot of things that are supposed to be done according to law which is not being done thats leading to our traffic problems. Definitely not parking on roads in residential areas.
+ 1 to that.
We are discussing about cars parked in the Residential areas and not in commercial areas. Yes I agree there is a rare problem in some residential areas but it's not that serious. Parking on the road in commercial / busy streets, I will say no to that.

Cheers!
-Z
Old 6th September 2010, 18:59   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
+ 1 to that.
We are discussing about cars parked in the Residential areas and not in commercial areas. Yes I agree there is a rare problem in some residential areas but it's not that serious. Parking on the road in commercial / busy streets, I will say no to that.
In busy roads cops do enforce "No Parking" or there places which have paid parking. Its simply stupid to say NO Parking on residential area unless the road/situation absolutely demands it.

Like it or not for the "phoreeen" gyan guys (read : foreign).
They do have the concept of parking on the street, yes for free too.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:08   #82
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Can you explain toll roads then ?We can park there, no ?
I thought even toll roads dont allow parking. It was simple, or maybe it was tough to understand
Quote:
So what am I ? Chopped liver ?
I'm a member of this so called Public. (Just as you are)

Or do you think you are more than the "public" (aam janatha) ?
So any member of the so called Aam Janata can take over public property for private use. Didn't know this law was passed in India.

[quote] Pardon me if I sound rude.
You have NO right telling me this. [quote]
This was for people who commented that people on rent will suffer. Well dont crib if you dont want to listen to advise.

Quote:
Making your dog sh*t in public road, disposing of garbage.. these can be categorized as pushing your problem.

Parking a car is not pushing a problem, please don't be lame.
Tell the guy whose frontage to his house is blocked by cars whose owners think the same way.
Quote:
I'm a citizen of this country I have every right to be here as you have.
Noting more noting less.
Sure you do. But the guy who is now spending on parking is now getter FEWER rights because of folks parking on streets.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:26   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You have never been to Pune, have you?

A single lane road with a line of cars parked on the side is reduced to one way carrying two way traffic. This is common sight in the city area(popularly know as peth area).

Sometimes reduce the lane to 1.5 cars width and still has parking.

So, cars parked on the roads in residential areas do cause traffic congestion.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:21   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
+ 1 to that.

Cheers!
-Z
Welcome to Delhi. In Vasant Kunj area, there are places where you can park your car only if you want to "squat". You car is soon surrounded by other cars till no one except those at the outer edges can move. You can practically forget the use of your car till your neighbours oblige.

Though this situation is not in every colony, how soon do you think it will spread. With cost of a vehicle dropping with respect to both housing as well as the income the numbers are rising alarmingly. As some wag commented recently - very soon there will be no space in Delhi to park the cars even if every inch of road space is taken up. Yes all the space, forget about driving you cannot even park.

I think we have tackle the issue rationally. Every body has a right to do what they want, as long as this right does not infringe on some body else right. That is why we do not allow robberies, murders or thieving, any thing which goes against common good. Very soon excessive number of vehicles may also be against common good - space, pollution, congestion.

Just my 2 paisa worth!
Old 7th September 2010, 12:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

yzfrj,

Your logic is impeccable except when you come to park your car at MY place, inconveniencing my life. And unfortunately in delhi, people with such logic stoop to sheer harassment, deflating tyres, denting cars and just being plain jerks to those whose house frontage they occupy. The reality in many pvt colonies in delhi is that there's no public space/parks/etc where others can park their vehicles without inconveniencing some other resident. if there's such space, that's good for everyone. But life's not rosy.

So - I completely disagree with you.

Its like building toilets. If A builds a house with 1 toilet and houses five people, B builds a house with 5 toilets for 2 people, should B open his house for others to use? or allow use of his walls?

I know it sounds gross, but your arguments sound awesome till you're at the recieving end of them.

But this argument has no end - the only solution is a crushing and oppressive congestion tax together to make car usage in cities expensive. Of course, it goes hand in hand with excellent public transport.

@fresh - agree. you've raised valid concerns.

Last edited by phamilyman : 7th September 2010 at 12:53.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:21   #86
BANNED

phamilyman - I 100% agree with every word you posted.

But, I feel that asking people to show parking spaces for cars before they buy cars is a provision going to be misused in India.

I remember reading a post somewherehere about the situation in TN RTOs till sometime back.

It appears that all owners of new vehicles had to pay a csjcd to get their vehicles registered. But, you had to pay extra aqhac to avoid getting a number which adds up to 8. Apparently, plenty of people thought that getting a vehicle with numbers totalling up to 8 was unlucky.

Then the govt issued a circular that numbers adding up to 8 should not be allotted, unless somebody specifically asks for a number.

In Kerala, the approach is different. All the RTOs are 100% computerised. The owner has to take the number generated by the computer. If he wants a specific number (even the non-fancy one), he has to buy.

The point - when such a innoccous matter is misused, certainly, "show a parking space" rule will be.

Therefore, the bettter option would be a blanket "no parkign in public spaces" rule. Since roads in residential areas are also public spaces. the problem would vanish. IMHO.

Of course, the transition would be very painful; but things will work, but very slowly, and will generate plenty of heat and dust in the meantime.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:26   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ok, so my question - There is a private colony where one 100sqm plot has 5 cars, and the 250 sqm plot has 1 car - the 250 sqm owner has to fight everyday with the other owners for parking his car in front of HIS house and deal with hassles like occasionally flat tyres.

Nobody should care about it, right?
The owner of the 250 sqm plot owns that land, and the other guy has absolutely no right to encroach upon it.
If he didn't have parking, he shouldn't have bought so many cars.
Likewise, if you don't have parking, don't buy a car.
If you wan't a car, procure a parking spot, either from a neighbour or see if you can buy one somehow.
Not willing to pay for the parking spot?
Well I'm not willing to pay road tax for you to park your car on and encroach upon traffic. The public road is not a place for you to park.
I paid for my parking spots, you should too.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

@kadanaj: Absolutely. Heck, I pay more property tax for that land - the other guy can come share it if he wishes

@BSD: No sir. My suggestion is congestion tax. Only to be implemented at a few points - unlike residential colonies which may run into gazillions and be economically infeasible to implement. IF the people cannot run their cars cheaply in the city and the traffic is mad (which it already is) - people will think ten times before buying a car. Within 5-6 years, the numbers will come down too.

Our government has kowtowed the auto majors line for long. Time for give our cities a break and reduce the cars on the road.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:19   #89
Senior - BHPian

@phamilyman, I thought we were discussing parking outside on the roads and in front of their houses.
You want laws for people not to use other's property, that is trespassing and there are laws.

Maybe we are discussing with different things in our minds influenced by different things happening in different areas.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:51   #90

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

This should be a complete and concerted move from the government on the part of the municipality/corporation, the state legislature, and the central legislature.

Just as in the case of apartment buildings, there should be absolutely NO living space on the ground floor. Whatever size building that you are building, you should leave the ground floor open - for parking.

The same goes for any businesses, office buildings, or shopping complexes.

And YES! A person should not buy a car if they do not have parking space. Why are you even thinking of buying a car if you don't have any place to keep it? You have to be satisfied with a two-wheeler if that's all that you can store in your apartment building/house.

If you don't have the space, too bad! Use public transport. Or sell your existing house, move to the far suburbs where you can afford to buy a bigger plot and build your house there -with the provision to park a car (or two).

If you don't want to give up your precious close-to-all-the-important-places apartment or chawl or one-room tenement, well you have to live with it. That's the price that you pay for being close to the city. And since you live so close to the city anyway, take public transport. You can save a lot of money, eh?

Now, take the money that you were going to spend on buying a car and instead spend it on a plot of land on the outskirts of the city and keep that as an investment for your children or for a rainy day - when you've got to marry off your daughter(s).

Peace!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Good move...
How much I wish this is implemented in Bangalore.
A huge percentage of the population here use public road in front of their house as parking space. These morons even come to pick up a fight with you if you even temporarily stop your vehicle there (Ex. for attending a mobile phone call) as if it is their private property. Its not uncommon to see 2-3 tier houses on nifty 30x40 sites with 3-4 cars parked on public road...I guess the flawed logic (at least in Bangalore) is to maximize building area to cash in on more rental income instead of providing parking space which anyway they loot from the public property for free.

I feel even house building permits should not be given if parking space is not accounted for at least 1 car.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th September 2010 at 15:11. Reason: Removed excess smilies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks