Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 13:53   #1
aby
BHPian

Mizoram dictates : No Garage? No Car!

Don?t have garage? You can't own a car | | | Indian Express

In Mizoram, get parking space before car - Yahoo! India News

--------

Beginning August 30th, people wanting to register new cars should be able to prove that they have a garage/parking space for their shiny new vehicle.

Though there are tons of loopholes in the law (for example I could just rent a spot for a year).

In Cities like Bangalore it is common to see people parking their cars on the roads as they don't have parking place. It would be great to roll it out here.

------

Mods: I searched for similar threads and didn't find one. In case something exists, please merge/delete.
----
Old 26th August 2010, 14:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

It would be great. But I dont think I would support it. (I have a garage for my cars)

Whats needed is to provide more public parking spaces in commercial areas.

Last edited by srishiva : 26th August 2010 at 14:15.
Old 26th August 2010, 14:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
In Cities like Bangalore it is common to see people parking their cars on the roads as they don't have parking place. It would be great to roll it out here.

Yes, this is very bad in some areas.

Most people built / buy the houses with no space for cars. And even builders. And then people use public space for parking. Why? So, I personally feel this is a good move especially for a place like Bangy.
Old 26th August 2010, 14:33   #4
BHPian

I too feel that this is a good move-you have to prove parking space and then buy a vehicle. This should apply across the board-commercial, private and Company. To give an example, there are a No. of IT parks that do not have parking for the bigger vehicles and they are parked on the main roads from morning to evening causing artificial jams. I strongly recommend that NOC should not be given till parking catered for or alternative arrangements made.
Old 26th August 2010, 14:48   #5

The place is godforsaken. With a tiny number of cars on the road one can afford to do stuff like that. But you cant implement something like this in bombay.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:08   #6
BHPian

I still feel, mass transportation is the way to go. A train with four or more 80 seater coaches can do wonders to our life than 6 lane roads and over head bridges!!
Old 26th August 2010, 15:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

I dont support it (I have enclosed parking space) but it is just against my rights if someone stops me from buying a car just because I dont have a garage. I would rather the government to improve the infrastructure. In anyway parking my vehicle in a no parking area would lead my vehicle to be towed, so why this harrassment?

Last edited by anilisanil : 26th August 2010 at 15:28.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:23   #8
BHPian

Good move...
How much I wish this is implemented in Bangalore.
A huge percentage of the population here use public road in front of their house as parking space. These morons even come to pick up a fight with you if you even temporarily stop your vehicle there (Ex. for attending a mobile phone call) as if it is their private property. Its not uncommon to see 2-3 tier houses on nifty 30x40 sites with 3-4 cars parked on public road...I guess the flawed logic (at least in Bangalore) is to maximize building area to cash in on more rental income instead of providing parking space which anyway they loot from the public property for free.

I feel even house building permits should not be given if parking space is not accounted for at least 1 car.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

You seem to be confusing two separate things - parking a car is different from driving a car.

Congestion on the road is not caused because of cars parked in front of people's houses. Congestion is caused because people drive their cars to their destinations.

If the cities were better planned and had better public transport facilities, many car users would opt for public transport.

The solution to traffic problems is not in resorting to such gimmicks. Improvement in public transport system is required.

In Bangalore city, you can see many well-off techies using public transport (BMTC AC Volvo buses) for commuting to office, especially for long distances. Most of them have a car parked at home, which doesn't contribute to the traffic problem of the city since the owners are using public transport.

Rohan
Old 26th August 2010, 15:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Even in U.S, people park their cars on streets (I have seen in New Jersey and other city downtowns) Do they see the same problems as we do? These are knee-jerk reactions. What about showing how much money you have before you can have kids? Do we want to do what China does to its people?

You cant compare what Mizoram is doing to what should be done to Bengaluru.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Most people built / buy the houses with no space for cars. And even builders.
Well normally builders charge for parking space, don' they? I paid around 2 laks to get a covered car parking.
What you are saying is may be true for tiny societies.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guess I need to start the hydraulic lift park business there
Old 26th August 2010, 15:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
Beginning August 30th, people wanting to register new cars should be able to prove that they have a garage/parking space for their shiny new vehicle.
Similar law exists since years now. The main concern is the implemention part.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

It is strange. Just because one doesn't have a parking space, doesn't mean one should not own a car. I do not consider it to be a good move. It is a violation of fundamental rights. If I can afford a car, I should be able to buy one. Don't we all pay road tax and lifetime tax to the government.
It looks like another half baked idea in the mind of some lazing idiot.

Last edited by speedmiester : 26th August 2010 at 15:59.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:26   #15
BHPian

I guess this method being implemented in Mizoram is nothing new. If I'm not wrong, this has been the case with Singapore since long.

On my way to work I have to pass through a 2Km stretch of housing societies and traffic comes to a snarl every single day since the residents on both sides of the road comfortably parks their vehicles outside on public road restricting the entire stretch to 1 way. The road is otherwise more than wide enough for 2-way traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
If I can afford a car, I should be able to buy one.
No offense, but once you buy the car, where would you park it if you don't have permanent parking space?

Most Viewed