Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 16:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

IMO this law was not required. What we need is only stringent enforcement of existing laws.
If you have a car and park it anywhere - its an offence that should be booked under the existing no-parking rules. Thats it.
When people buy a car and park it at the edge of the street effectively bottlenecking the traffic - just clamp/ticket them. If needed - clamp/ticket them again and again. After 2-3 days - they shall learn a lesson and move out of the street to find a parking space of their own.

@srishiva - totally agree with your POV. The main problem in India is not lack of law, its the lack of enforcement.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:43   #17
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
. In anyway parking my vehicle in a no parking area would lead my vehicle to be towed, so why this harrassment?
Obviously because you cannot patrol each and every street for illegal parking. How fair is it if people start hogging public property (roads) for their private use (Parking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Congestion on the road is not caused because of cars parked in front of people's houses. Congestion is caused because people drive their cars to their destinations.
In many areas of Bangalore, you can see plots with houses having one parking slot having 3/4/5 cars. Invariably these are parked on roads, causing chaos and traffic slowdown everywhere. When they park their vehicles, they don't move it in the morning as per traffic flow. So many times, parking on narrow residential road becomes the bottleneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Even in U.S, people park their cars on streets (I have seen in New Jersey and other city downtowns) Do they see the same problems as we do? These are knee-jerk reactions. What about showing how much money you have before you can have kids? Do we want to do what China does to its people?
It is apples to oranges comparison. Even in US, downtown parking is not free in major cities. In fact in big cities it costs a fortune if you park in downtown streets. In smaller suburban communities, you can see people parking on roads as there is ample space. Now when it comes to space I know for sure that Bangalore isn't really a rural suburban community. Obviously this law isn't meant for villages where land is aplenty, but for congested areas like Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Similar law exists since years now. The main concern is the implemention part.
I don't think legally there is any such clause. Nobody asks for a parking permit when you go to buy a car. However I fully subscribe to the view on implementation. Our implementation systems suck. It will just be another money making machine for local Pandus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
It is strange. Just because one doesn't have a parking space, doesn't mean one should not own a car. I do not consider it to be a good move. It is a violation of fundamental rights. If I can afford a car, I should be able to buy one. Don't we all pay road tax and lifetime tax to the government.
It looks like another half baked idea in the mind of some lazing idiot.
What fundamental right are you talking about? I doubt it. If you don't have a parking space, it means you will end up parking on road or any other public space. Which would be same as hogging public space for private use. So according to this logic, since I pay municipal taxes, I should be allowed to pitch a tent in a public garden if I don't have space inside my house.

You pay road tax to drive on the road not to park on any space available.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:55   #18
mxx
BHPian

Now I have a parking space, but let me discuss the general situation in Bangalore.
A lot of outstation people reside in Bangalore, mostly in rented accommodations. Many of these accomodations, are top floors of a house with owner residing in ground floor. The owner usually takes up the parking space.
So, what happens to the tenant? He should not own a car? That sounds stupid.
Old 26th August 2010, 17:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Now I have a parking space, but let me discuss the general situation in Bangalore.
A lot of outstation people reside in Bangalore, mostly in rented accommodations. Many of these accomodations, are top floors of a house with owner residing in ground floor. The owner usually takes up the parking space.
Yeah I agree with MXX. Lot of professionals (read IT professionals) stay in rented places where they earn enough to own a car but not enough to buy home in short span of time and had to live in rented place. How can they survive in cities like Bangalore or Delhi without vehicle.
Instead of putting such crazy rules I think government should work on reducing congestion by deploying public transport system and providing opportunities in tier II and tier III cities ( Note: I have a parking space of own and waiting for a car to arrive there)
Old 26th August 2010, 17:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
The whole point is to make sure the builders/owners of the house/flat give sufficient places for parking while construction. So, this will definitely work in the long run. And when tenants start looking for houses with parking facilities, obviously everyone will construct one if they are serious to get a tenant.

Btw, there was news about Insurance guys going to fix the premium based on certain criteria and the type of parking is also one of the criteria. It was under plan, not sure when it will be implemented. So, slowly we will be constraint from all sides.

Hope owners plan their house well without thinking of encroaching the public roads.
Old 26th August 2010, 17:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Is the parking space 'registered' with the car? What stops anyone from buying more than one car with only one parking space?

Also, how does it stop the problem of people parking on the roads? I mean, what prevents anyone from parking on the roads even if they own a parking space?
Old 26th August 2010, 18:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
It is strange. Just because one doesn't have a parking space, doesn't mean one should not own a car. I do not consider it to be a good move. It is a violation of fundamental rights. If I can afford a car, I should be able to buy one. Don't we all pay road tax and lifetime tax to the government.
It looks like another half baked idea in the mind of some lazing idiot.
I completely disagree. If you don't have a parking space where are you going to park your car.

It's not a matter of being able to afford a car, but there are many people who buy cars without having a parking space and then park them on the public road outside their homes, effectively transforming what may have been a 2 or 3 lane road to a single lane. This causes traffic problems.

And you're correct, everyone pays road tax, so what gives one individual the right to block the road everyone is paying for.

If you don't have a place to keep a car, either find a place (that doesn't inconvenience others) or don't buy a car, simple as that.
Old 26th August 2010, 18:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
What fundamental right are you talking about? I doubt it. If you don't have a parking space, it means you will end up parking on road or any other public space. Which would be same as hogging public space for private use. So according to this logic, since I pay municipal taxes, I should be allowed to pitch a tent in a public garden if I don't have space inside my house.

You pay road tax to drive on the road not to park on any space available.
With all due respect, just because I don't have a parking space, doesn't mean I will park in the middle of the road or in a way causing a disturbance to other road users.
I had to buy another car even though I didn't have a parking space because there are no good reliable public transport system which can get me to my work on time and in relative safety. If I rely on the public transportation system, I will reach my office an hour late everyday and reach home at least an hour later than usual. Will the govt compensate for this loss in productivity?
The govt should look into enforcing strict traffic rules to reduce congestion, rather than such idiotic ideas to restrict people from buying cars that they require.
Many countries have a larger number of cars than India, but I do not see such restrictions there.
It is like asking people not to have disputes and file legal cases because our legal system so hopelessly backed up.

Last edited by speedmiester : 26th August 2010 at 18:22.
Old 26th August 2010, 18:40   #24
BHPian

Atrip today to fort and back in the peak hour traffic reaffirmed the grave situation we are in. An auto enthusiast like me agrees that there should be atleast 24-30 % interest loans. Not to mention 1 year wait for license to own a car. Yes Licence raj for good. The public transport wont be used till people are compelled to. Im compelled to. Not because i dont enjoy to drive but driving in traffic is nobodys choice. So many of my colleagues wanted to earn more just to be able to own and drive to work from wherever they live. Some dont fancy cars but just want a more luxurious drive. We are still at 7% penetration rate.
Old 26th August 2010, 18:44   #25
BHPian

New societies coming up should enforce 1 parking per house and give option of buying additional one at reasonable cost during booking itself.
Old 26th August 2010, 18:56   #26
aby
BHPian

Quote:
With all due respect, just because I don't have a parking space, doesn't mean I will park in the middle of the road or in a way causing a disturbance to other road users.
No you won't park in the middle of the road. But you will end using public property (roadside) for your parking. What gives you as an individual the right to capture a common resource.

Quote:
I had to buy another car even though I didn't have a parking space because there are no good reliable public transport system which can get me to my work on time and in relative safety. If I rely on the public transportation system, I will reach my office an hour late everyday and reach home at least an hour later than usual. Will the govt compensate for this loss in productivity?
The govt should look into enforcing strict traffic rules to reduce congestion, rather than such idiotic ideas to restrict people from buying cars that they require.
Sure you have all the right to buy a car be it a Nano or a Merc. In a free country you are the master of your own wealth. But why do you pass on your problem (lack of Parking) on to others? Is it fair? Again same question - Will you keep quiet if your neighbor decides to pitch a tent in public park, and justifies it saying he does it only in the night when nobody is using the park? Isn't that similar to what people without car park are doing?

Quote:
Many countries have a larger number of cars than India, but I do not see such restrictions there.
It is like asking people not to have disputes and file legal cases because our legal system so hopelessly backed up.
Big cities in Europe have congestion taxes. Secondly no big city let people park on the road for long time for free. It costs an arm and a leg to park overnight in large European/NA cities. When space is at a premium the cost increases. Same with Parking.

Last edited by aby : 26th August 2010 at 18:57.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No you won't park in the middle of the road. But you will end using public property (roadside) for your parking. What gives you as an individual the right to capture a common resource.

Sure you have all the right to buy a car be it a Nano or a Merc. In a free country you are the master of your own wealth. But why do you pass on your problem (lack of Parking) on to others? Is it fair? Again same question - Will you keep quiet if your neighbor decides to pitch a tent in public park, and justifies it saying he does it only in the night when nobody is using the park? Isn't that similar to what people without car park are doing?

Big cities in Europe have congestion taxes. Secondly no big city let people park on the road for long time for free. It costs an arm and a leg to park overnight in large European/NA cities. When space is at a premium the cost increases. Same with Parking.
You are misreading the intent of the introduction of the law here. The law is introduced not to curb parking problem but to reduce traffic congestions.
If there are good public transportation system in place, I believe many people would think twice before buying another car, which in itself will solve the parking and the traffic congestion problems.
In fact during my stay in UK, I did not buy a car even though I could afford one, just because there was a very good public transportation system in place. The bus stops were close to my apartment with very good frequency of buses to and fro from my workplace.
During my first job in Bangalore, we had company transport and I never did find a reason to buy another car for my commute as it was a very convenient option to opt for the company transport.

Except for few people, I do not think majority of the people buy cars to just show off. I for one bought my second car as it was an absolute necessity as I had no other options.
If you were in my position will you not buy another car or will you depend on the unreliable public transport system just because you cannot come up with a parking space.

Instead of this, the government could have added extra 2% tax on such car buyers who do not have a designated parking space and use that money in improving the infrastructure.
I am objecting to the very notion of imposing such restrictions on people instead of providing for a better public transport system and implementing other measures to control traffic congestion.

Last edited by speedmiester : 26th August 2010 at 19:54.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
In Cities like Bangalore it is common to see people parking their cars on the roads as they don't have parking place. It would be great to roll it out here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
I too feel that this is a good move-you have to prove parking space and then buy a vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Good move...
How much I wish this is implemented in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
No offense, but once you buy the car, where would you park it if you don't have permanent parking space?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
I completely disagree. If you don't have a parking space where are you going to park your car.
I think you guys would just love to see all the On street parking folks get nabbed, eh ?

I park my car on the street.
Rented house with parking space is horribly expensive.
Even if you find one the owner uses the place.

I guess all the folks who does't own a house should burn their cars and roll over and die ?

People work out side of the home towns in rented house to earn some money and to live basically. At least have the courtesy to "think" from their perspective.

We also pay taxes and earn a honest rupee. Just because "we" don't own a piece of land or a facility to park our rides does't mean we can't own one.

This is not Japan.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

^^ +1 for that. This is synonymous to denying people without house the right to reproduce. Moreover there will be hundred loopholes in that! One can anyday show that he/she will park in some XYZ location and get the registration done and still park on the road! Heck, what would stop a person who is having a parking space from parking outside just because he is too lazy to take the car in and out so many times (there are such people in my society who park the car on the road for the whole day and bring it in only during nights!)

Denying someone the right to buy a car for lack of parking space is illogical.

As someone mentioned, tax such people and use the money to improve the infrastructure! In a money hungry world where land costs a bomb, government wouldn't do anything to improve roads and in turn pinches the people? Sad!
Old 26th August 2010, 20:44   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I was also reading about Sikkim state introducing a similar law a few weeks back. In the hilly regions, space is sparsely available and many roads are quite narrow leading us downhill or uphill. One can very well imagine the nightmare drivers face while driving through narrow roads/ lanes with cars parked on either sides.Plain land is too difficult to find and most virgin or vacant stretches (without construction) are the slope faces of mountains.
During my long stay in Gangtok, I would observe policemen move on bikes with car jammers. The "No Parking Zones" in shopping areas and even in residential localities are strictly adhered to.Even in residential localities, I would see at least five or six cars immobilised in the early morning, with jammers affixed during night.
Metros have their own set of space problems and those for hilly regions are totally different.It is difficult to draw analogies.The only commonality is that parking space is sparse in both.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th August 2010 at 20:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks