Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 05:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Yea we surely do need a pick-up too
Pick-ups can do well in India, but then pricing would be the key
pickups have always failed. the tata xenon is a good truck but the segment is niche.
Prem, sorry but I don't agree to your point.
Old 27th August 2010, 06:07   #17
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I expect the new Fiesta, Focus, Endeavour replacement and an MUV to be a part of these 8 upcoming cars. Any guesses on the rest?
Ford Falcon? Ford is now celebrating Falcon's 50th anniversary here in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford India to launch 8 new cars by 2015!-ford.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 07:00   #18
BHPian

small SUV

The escape will be good for the indian roads..Not as large as the explorer..
Old 27th August 2010, 09:10   #19
BHPian

I would love to see the Focus, Mondeo and S-Max manufactured in India. They are segment leaders in their respective categories and price points. They never really put in any effort to get those world class cars to India, after the failure of the previous generation Mondeo.
Their new drive for worldwide sharing of platforms should help us get some of their European models. Till now they have been too much into getting 'India specific' (read outdated) models to India.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:19   #20
BHPian

Well these are the list of my probables:

For Manufacture in India: KA (A stretched platform?) , SMAX, Fiesta, Focus and Galaxy
CKD: Mondeo and Escape (as replacement for endeavour?)
CBU: Mustang, Explorer
Old 27th August 2010, 10:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

With new models expected, Ford should also consider opening more Dealer outlets as
present one's (in some places) are filled with cars (after the launch of figo)!!
Old 27th August 2010, 10:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Figo sure is doing wonders for Ford, which was always perceived as a expensive to maintain brand. Their cars have always been fantastic and IMHO they must focus on volume brands rather than exotics right now. The Focus and the Fiesta should be their immediate releases and the Mondeo at a stretch.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Yea we surely do need a pick-up too
Pick-ups can do well in India, but then pricing would be the key
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
pickups have always failed. the tata xenon is a good truck but the segment is niche.
Prem, sorry but I don't agree to your point.

Pickups gel well with the DIY or BIY mentality, or as milk vans. Indians are not of the former type, and for the latter we always have TATA 207!

I was talking about F150 from a keystone vehicle POV - whereas they can display the F150 with the Mustang in bigger showrroms to increase footfall (just like Nissan does with 370z - I guess)

Last edited by blackasta : 27th August 2010 at 10:28.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I expect the new Fiesta, Focus, Endeavour replacement and an MUV to be a part of these 8 upcoming cars. Any guesses on the rest?
Each of the above with "sticker", "sport" and "anniversary" packs should do the trick in making up the rest of the "models".

Going by the actual reason they have had so few cars in such a long period shows how these volume-player MNCs actually treat us Indians.

MB and BMW have longer model line-ups than these types. And these get updated yearly, almost!
Old 27th August 2010, 10:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

One thing I can say with certainty on account of a very reliable source in Ford- Ford is working agressively on launching an SUV in the 10-12 L price range to take the Safari and Scorp head on- it will be smaller than and endeavour- a 5 seater, but will be a true SUV with low rage gearbox in the 4x4 version and LSD.

this shoul dcome out by Diwali 2011 or early 2012- I for one am waiting for this to be launched eagerly.

The other confirmed launch is the new Fiesta which will happen "very soon"- it will be priced around 10L.

Will check about the other proposed launches and update.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Each of the above with "sticker", "sport" and "anniversary" packs should do the trick in making up the rest of the "models".

Going by the actual reason they have had so few cars in such a long period shows how these volume-player MNCs actually treat us Indians.

MB and BMW have longer model line-ups than these types. And these get updated yearly, almost!
It's a lot easier to bring in models when you are taking the CBU/CKD route. Volume players actually have to manufacture the cars here and localize sourcing to keep prices competitive and that's a whole different ball game.

Here are my guesses for the 8 models.

1. Fiesta hatch
2. Fiesta sedan
3. Focus sedan
4. S-Max
5. Mondeo
6. Endy Replacement
7. Kuga
8. Ka
Old 27th August 2010, 11:04   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
One thing I can say with certainty on account of a very reliable source in Ford- Ford is working agressively on launching an SUV in the 10-12 L price range to take the Safari and Scorp head on- it will be smaller than and endeavour- a 5 seater, but will be a true SUV with low rage gearbox in the 4x4 version and LSD.

this shoul dcome out by Diwali 2011 or early 2012- I for one am waiting for this to be launched eagerly.
This must be the Kuga. Looks like an interesting product.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Except the Kuga is a soft roader and doesn't have low range 4x4 AFAIK.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This must be the Kuga. Looks like an interesting product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Except the Kuga is a soft roader and doesn't have low range 4x4 AFAIK.
Having tasted success with the Figo based on an older platform, I think the SUV will be Ranger based, but with modifications to make the seating more comfy for the second and third rows. In any case they assemble the Endy in India.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:47   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

@ J.Ravi - C'mon maan, don't give me new day dreaming material.The Falcon sold in india?
Never,it's a full-size RWD sedan and that too only with i6 and v8 petrol engines.
@himanshugoswami - You sure about the SUV? Then it must be a new one developed for the developing market(ala IMV platform),b'cos other than the endeavour there isn't any cheaper true SUV in the Ford stable.Low range gearbox? Sound interesting, but 5 seater and all ,i feel it's a crossover kinda vehicle,not a true blue one.
If it IS a true blue one,then safari/scorpio are goner.
New fiesta at 10 lakhs?, so where does it leave the Focus?

Most Viewed