Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2010, 00:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

What are they going to do with existing fiesta? AFAIK the new fiesta shall be priced and placed a segment above the current one.
Old 29th August 2010, 12:17   #47
BHPian

I too was reading this article in the papers yesterday. And that got me thinking. With Ford planning to launch 8 new models in the coming years, VW coming out with the the Jetta, the Passat, the Polo and now the Vento, Fiat with their Linea, Punto, Punto 90 hp, a small car in 2012, Toyota with their Corolla diesel, Etios sedan & hatchback, Honda with their hatchback, Maruti planning to launch one new model every year, Tata with their new models, Hyundai with their new Verna (and I won't be surprised if they launch i30 sooner rather than later), GM with their Beat & Cruze, Nissan with their Teana & Micra, Mercedes & BMW too coming out with new models, Indian consumers across all ranges never had it so good (and I'm sure I must have forgotten other launches too). And it'll only get better.

Which got me thinking about another article I had read a month or so back. It said that whenever a country's per capita GDP touches ~$1500, the car sales just take off and this explains the sudden interest of most major automakers in the Indian market. This happened in China & Malaysia in the last 10-15 yrs and in South Korea a couple of decades ago. Our current GDP per capita is ~$1200. So, 4-5 yrs and we are in for a what? Doubling-tripling of the already all-time high sales!!!

1. I am going strongly bullish on the auto stocks.
2. Where will there be roads enough to drive the cars on??? We'll have what? 2-3 hr long traffic jams? Let's just pray the govt wakes up before that and esp in Mumbai.
Old 29th August 2010, 19:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
I too was reading this article in the papers yesterday. And that got me thinking. With Ford planning to launch 8 new models in the coming years, VW coming out with the the Jetta, the Passat, the Polo and now the Vento, Fiat with their Linea, Punto, Punto 90 hp, a small car in 2012, Toyota with their Corolla diesel, Etios sedan & hatchback, Honda with their hatchback, Maruti planning to launch one new model every year, Tata with their new models, Hyundai with their new Verna (and I won't be surprised if they launch i30 sooner rather than later), GM with their Beat & Cruze, Nissan with their Teana & Micra, Mercedes & BMW too coming out with new models, Indian consumers across all ranges never had it so good (and I'm sure I must have forgotten other launches too). And it'll only get better.

Which got me thinking about another article I had read a month or so back. It said that whenever a country's per capita GDP touches ~$1500, the car sales just take off and this explains the sudden interest of most major automakers in the Indian market. This happened in China & Malaysia in the last 10-15 yrs and in South Korea a couple of decades ago. Our current GDP per capita is ~$1200. So, 4-5 yrs and we are in for a what? Doubling-tripling of the already all-time high sales!!!

1. I am going strongly bullish on the auto stocks.
2. Where will there be roads enough to drive the cars on??? We'll have what? 2-3 hr long traffic jams? Let's just pray the govt wakes up before that and esp in Mumbai.
Very interesting read about the 1500$ Per Capita thing!!
Old 30th August 2010, 12:41   #49
BHPian

Ford should have got the Fusion sold in the US to India long back, its a perfect sedan suited for India. But its never too late can get it now and rebadge it. Ofcourse with Indian Fusion already in the minds it would be a wrong idea to use the same name thou.

And in the premium category they should get the Mercury Milan/Mariner with some good features on. Its time India too gets to see the Mercury series soon.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:00   #50
BHPian

Why not the Ford EcoSport, an urban SUV for the urban jungle!

A link to the same:
Ford EcoSport - The Figo platform SUV for India | Indian Autos blog

courtesy the above site.

I think it can do well if priced nicely.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
Which got me thinking about another article I had read a month or so back. It said that whenever a country's per capita GDP touches ~$1500, the car sales just take off and this explains the sudden interest of most major automakers in the Indian market.
Per capita income is calculated by dividing the total GDP of the country by it's population. In a country like ours where wealth distribution is top heavy it wouldn't make much difference.
The per capita income of a war ravaged country like Srilanka is much higher. It's crossed $2000 aready.

What's bringing car makers to the country is our huge middle class whose income has almost tripled in last 7 to 8 years. Pariticularly those in the 25-35 age group.
Old 30th August 2010, 21:24   #52
BHPian

Ford does have the Fiesta hatchback , focus hatch back and sedan, its got the Ford Edge, Ford Flex, Ford Mondeo, Ford Escape.

Fiesta hatchback and focus sedan and hatchback, Ford Escape do make sense and can be some sort of volume players, but the other all would be CBU imports.
Old 30th August 2010, 21:34   #53
Team-BHP Support

If they can get the Ford Edge, with a 1.8-2L diesel and sell it in the range of Scorpio/Safari, then we have a winner! Endy takes the bigger ones.

This would be perfect, midsize cross over.
Old 30th August 2010, 22:01   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If they can get the Ford Edge, with a 1.8-2L diesel and sell it in the range of Scorpio/Safari, then we have a winner! Endy takes the bigger ones.

This would be perfect, midsize cross over.
But i guess Ford Edge is branded a notch above the Endy / Everest. The Ford Escape would be a winner if it remains around 15 lakhs.
Old 30th August 2010, 22:37   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Per capita income is calculated by dividing the total GDP of the country by it's population. In a country like ours where wealth distribution is top heavy it wouldn't make much difference.
The per capita income of a war ravaged country like Srilanka is much higher. It's crossed $2000 aready.

What's bringing car makers to the country is our huge middle class whose income has almost tripled in last 7 to 8 years. Pariticularly those in the 25-35 age group.
Well, 1200$ per capita GDP gives one an idea of the sort of income levels prevelant in the country. For instance, if historically I know that when income levels in China, Malaysia & South Korea were 1500$, 9, 11 & 14% of the people could afford cars, I can safely assume that even in a country like India around 8-9% of the people will be able to afford cars.

GDP per capita per se doesn't lad to anything. 1200$ - 60k INR. Hardly enough money with each person to purchase a car. But, because I know there's income disparity & because I know that historcally this per capita GDP in other countries coincided with a spurt in car sales, I can assume that in India too the trend would be followed. It's using the per capita GDP number with the income disparity that gives me an estimate of the percentage of households that'll be able to afford cars.

Infact, I'll be willing to bet even further that give 7-10 yrs, we'll be seeing a huge spurt in sedan launches; the same way we have been seeing a huge spurt in hatchback launches. And unlike now, the sedan launches won't be CBU/ assembled, they'll be manufactured in India.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
But i guess Ford Edge is branded a notch above the Endy / Everest. The Ford Escape would be a winner if it remains around 15 lakhs.

Edge is in the same league as the Explorer and wont be priced below 25lacs if brought to India. Moreover, Edge is more of a bling vehicle and offers very less practicality. Ford Escape on the other hand is a perfect vehicle which can fulfill the Indian requirements of practicality and butchness.
Old 31st August 2010, 00:43   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post

Edge is in the same league as the Explorer and wont be priced below 25lacs if brought to India. Moreover, Edge is more of a bling vehicle and offers very less practicality. Ford Escape on the other hand is a perfect vehicle which can fulfill the Indian requirements of practicality and butchness.
Guys I have no idea of the standing. Just felt that from looks of edge, if you can come with a toned version (engine specs etc) which matches with Skoda Yeti or Outlander RVR, we then have our SUV crossover segment.

Escape looks a tad bigger for that segment. That is why I had indicated about Edge. But as I said no idea of where these vehicles stand in the market.
Old 31st August 2010, 17:49   #58
BHPian

The success of fortuner shows Indians still love the old school SUV looks than the city SUV like CRV. Ford Escape can be a sure winner. Probably they will bring it in and let endy die a natural death.
Old 31st August 2010, 17:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys I have no idea of the standing. Just felt that from looks of edge, if you can come with a toned version (engine specs etc) which matches with Skoda Yeti or Outlander RVR, we then have our SUV crossover segment.

Escape looks a tad bigger for that segment. That is why I had indicated about Edge. But as I said no idea of where these vehicles stand in the market.
Escape is similar in size to Toyota's Fortuner, but Edge is bigger than both of them. The best vehicle for competing against RVR and Yeti would be the Ford Kuga.

Ford India to launch 8 new cars by 2015!-2008fordkugauk095.jpg
Old 31st August 2010, 19:00   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Escape is similar in size to Toyota's Fortuner, but Edge is bigger than both of them. The best vehicle for competing against RVR and Yeti would be the Ford Kuga.

Attachment 416204
I think I got caught in the relativity of the size by just looking at the picture.
Some how the looks are just awesome for all these guys!

I checked that Ford does offer this in a 2L Diesel.

Last edited by ampere : 31st August 2010 at 19:02.

Most Viewed