Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 10:31   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Wow, absolute drool stuff! Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for the Fortuner

Sid, does this beast have 4L? That could make the difference to a lot of people. Equipment wise, it has just left the others way behind.
@Suman:

Softroaders don't have a transfer case like Part-Time/Full Time 4WD Systems. They use some light duty clutchpack(VCU) based system to transfer power to all wheels only when ECU detects wheel slippage. These systems cannot be engaged continuously or they will burn up. They are also not for extremely heavy duty usage.

The locking feature of these on-demand 4WD Systems automatically disengages over a set speed limit. For Honda it is 16 MPH. So even if you lock in 4WD mode the ECU will disengage over the preset speed limit as these systems are not meant for continuous AWD usage like vehicles with full center differential like Pajero/Fortuner/LC etc...

I feel if we can overlook the badge issues, this offers more value to the buyer than the Fortuner especially if they don't plan on any heavy duty off-road usage.
Old 14th October 2010, 10:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai India left no stone unturned to launch the santa fe in the middle of the Thar desert yesterday night but over and over again, they reiterated that the santa fe is not gunning for the fortuner. While the pricing is one indication, the other indication is the amount of technology the santa fe packs in, making it a much more premium car. The issue however still remains whether Hyundai can actually market the car well enough. Currently, they maintain that they're looking at 600 to 800 units a year, which is peanuts really. So, the santa fe has all the trappings of a showcase of hyundai's technological prowess than of a serious fortuner rival.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 14th October 2010, 11:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for explaining that auto-disengaging bit Tini, I wasn't aware of it! Surely a turn off for many I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I feel if we can overlook the badge issues, this offers more value to the buyer than the Fortuner especially if they don't plan on any heavy duty off-road usage.
Yes but at 23 lacs ex-showroom? They're going to go the Terracan way all over again!

Last edited by suman : 14th October 2010 at 11:21.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:38   #49
BHPian

Its a great looking SUV no doubt but I am not sure it is worth Rs. 20 lakhs. I have driven the Foruner and the Santa Fe in Malaysia and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Just because Hyundai is bringing in the Santa Fe as a CBU, we will be paying much more than the actual price of the SUV.

In Malaysia, both were priced similarly and you will notice that majority drive the Fortuner and not the Santa Fe there because although the Santa Fe has a lot more gizmos than the Fortuner, the Fortuner is a more practical SUV at that price! Also it comes with the tag of being a Toyota known for their reliability and also since it is based on the Hi-Lux platform which is used extensively in SE Asia and is a known workhorse. So I dont see it denting the Fortuner but will definitely get people who are looking for an alternative to the CR-V/ X-Trail. Just my opinion.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:37   #50
BHPian

the site doesnt mention whether an automatic version is available.any info abt this?
Old 14th October 2010, 15:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

So Santa Fe is launched at 20.95 for 2WD and 22.95 for 4WD. At that price, it has a significant premium to Fortuner 4WD, and probably be limited to performance enthusiasts.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Well it is in no way any more inferior than the Fortuner.Only thing it cannot have is the Toyota badge and its bullet-proof reliability,but it hyundai make reliable cars too not like they have build quality problems.
SO i guess if someone can look past the Hyundai badge and a bit quirky styling this is a good package.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:26   #53
BHPian

This is one car I was waiting for quite some time. Now if only I could get my hands on one in my city for a TD. The pricing I would say is neutral considering it is a CBU and the amount of kit offered. I haven't found anything bad or too negative in all the reviews I could find on the internet. If the third row is ok for adults upto 5'4" then I'm all game for it.

It is a good package with all the safety features, reasonable driving dynamics, excellent performance (in the segment) and user friendly nature. If you are ready to look beyond the badge I would say this is a good deal. I consider Hyundai to be fairly reliable and niggle free with modest ownership costs.
Old 14th October 2010, 20:47   #54
BHPian

Hyundai's new SUV Santa Fe
http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...011145152.html
Check the link above for more photos

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 14th October 2010 at 20:49.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:20   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the pricing is on the higher side for an ageing Crossover. At this price this overpriced Hyundai may not find many takers and may go the Terracan way.

Personally i would pick the Captiva AWD over Santa-Fe if i were in the market to buy a diesel soft-roader in this price range. The Captiva offers everything the Santa-Fe offers except the Power difference, but the real world performance may not be that much.

I would have loved to see the Tucson replacement at a lower price instead of dated Santa-Fe.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Captiva offers everything the Santa-Fe offers except the Power difference, but the real world performance may not be that much.
I agree that the pricing may see it go the Terracan way but you're kidding about the Captiva offering everything, right?

The Captiva equipment doesn't even come close to the Santa Fe, not to forget that the Santa Fe's inner dimensions are more generous. Do have a closer look at the Santa Fe brochure
Old 14th October 2010, 23:13   #57
BANNED

Hyundai has never been outrightly successful with their offerings of a MUV/SUV or Sedans.

Though the above products were superb technically.

Wonder with a price of 22+ lacs, how good it will go down with the Indian customers.
Old 14th October 2010, 23:35   #58
BHPian

All I can say now is - thank God, I did not wait for this model
Old 15th October 2010, 02:32   #59
BHPian

The 2011 Captiva, when launched, will surely beat this Santa Fe anyday.It will have a new 2.2 diesel engine with 184bhp and better interiors. And if it comes as CKD, as some reports say, it will be the easiest decision as far as mid-luxury SUVs are concerned.
Old 15th October 2010, 08:42   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@anshuman:

The captiva AWD is available only in automatic and for the price you get much lower kit than the Hyundai Santa Fe.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks