Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 22:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

Soon you can buy a Hyundai for the price of a BMW (X1)..
It happens only in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
IMO, It would not be a bad idea for Hyundai to bring in a re-badged Kia Sportage. Would be cheaper also, I guess.
Agree with that.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th October 2010 at 22:10.
Old 19th October 2010, 23:07   #92
Team-BHP Support

The Santa Fe is a disappointment. A SUV that should have been launched 5 years back. A SUV that should be rightfully priced under 20 lakhs This will not work in India. Hyundai needs to get down from their high-horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Soon you can buy a Hyundai for the price of a BMW (X1)..
It happens only in India!
Not necessarily! You see, Hyundai does sell a few expensive cars, namely, the Genesis and the Grandeur. They cost as much as some BMWs and Audis. But don't expect them to come to our shores any time soon!
Old 21st October 2010, 11:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

Price is on expected lines considering that Hyundai planned this as a CBU. Does not look like Hyundai is serious in this segment. Unlikely that Honda CRV customers would opt for a Hyundai as the brand image is not yet there for them.

IMO, ideal pricing would have been the 2WD option priced along with Captiva and 4WD priced teasingly close to Fortuner. That way, folks looking for better features may at least consider Santa Fe. Current pricing, more or less takes the vehicle out of contention.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:35   #94
BANNED

Its a straight lift from the CRV interiors and the Captiva back, with an Elantra front and a horrible looking grille

I read, the Engine is a stonker, Hyundai's crdi unit is the best.

Not sure about the price being right or wrong.

But why is the SantaFe Fugly.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:39   #95
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
are they joking with their declared pricing?

Hyundai must be nuts to think that people are dying to buy their Santa Fe at the price of 20.95 lacs for 2WD and 22.95 lacs for 4WD ex showroom Delhi.

In Bangalore the On Road prices of this vehicle wont leave much change from Rs 26 lacs for 2WD and Rs 28 lacs for 4WD! I believe this is almost the same price that Honda is trying to charge for its CRV! It appears that even Honda has gone quite mad, trying to sell their silly CRV at prices like 28-29 lacs!

Todays ZigWheels article was quite clearly trying to be nice to the Hyundai - stating that this SUV looks like a good value deal at this pricing!! Who on earth are they trying to kid?

Most people would prefer the Toyota Fortuner over the Santa Fe - and mostly on account of the Toyota Brand vs Hyundai. And the funny thing is that the Fortuner is significantly less expensive and in my opinion, likely to be far more bulletproof and being a Toyota will hold up its residual value as well, after 3-5 years!
Old 21st October 2010, 12:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

In Bangalore the On Road prices of this vehicle wont leave much change from Rs 26 lacs for 2WD and Rs 28 lacs for 4WD! I believe this is almost the same price that Honda is trying to charge for its CRV! It appears that even Honda has gone quite mad, trying to sell their silly CRV at prices like 28-29 lacs!
Did you check the last few month sales of CRV? They are doing single digits.

I am sure Sante fe will meet the similar fate.

Btw-Why do many of us compare CRV,Outlander and now Santa Fe with Fortuner.? (is it just because of this price factor.?)

CRV,Outlander and Santa Fe are crossovers ( read crossovers- Crossover (automobile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) where as Fortuner is a SUV.
Old 21st October 2010, 12:36   #97
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's TG vs Toyota' TG are different.

IMHO they have moved themselves to an aspirational segment, which Toyota was always in. The typical hyundai customer will look at upgrading their hyundai with another hyundai, and they have filled all the segments well.

Toyota on the other hand has always been perceived as an aspirational brand, so in the minds of the consumer, the fortuner appears very high end.

Again, the service reach and the 2nd kicker of the diesel mill will make this a more affordable aspiration for Hyundai's TG.
Old 21st October 2010, 13:11   #98
BANNED

Agree that these vehicles are Cross-overs and the Fortuner is an SUV.
To me personally the extreme value that I see in Toyota's SUV is what I am comparing to.
Meaning: A real SUV and a Toyota, at 22.4 lacs vs a Crossover and a Hyundai at 28 lacs!

I would not ever seriously consider buying the Outlander, Captiva, CRV etc, but even if one were comparing prices amongst these, I still think Hyundai Sales and Marketing has gone a bit mad to think they can command such a high premium for what essentially is a Korean Hyundai Crossover. Given the facts concerning the Tucson and Terracan, one would imagine they would have learned their lesson by now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Did you check the last few month sales of CRV? They are doing single digits.

I am sure Sante fe will meet the similar fate.

Btw-Why do many of us compare CRV,Outlander and now Santa Fe with Fortuner.? (is it just because of this price factor.?)

CRV,Outlander and Santa Fe are crossovers ( read crossovers- Crossover (automobile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) where as Fortuner is a SUV.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st October 2010 at 13:13.
Old 21st October 2010, 13:16   #99
BANNED

I understand and appreciate what you said about the TG being different.

But I cannot fathom how you can say that QUOTE"the service reach and the 2nd kicker of Diesel mill will make this a more affordable aspiration for Hyundai's TG!" UNQUOTE.

Or am I missing something here maybe? Because to me Rs 28 Lacs OTR BLR for a 4WD Crossover like the Hyundai Santa Fe is downright exorbitant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Hyundai's TG vs Toyota' TG are different.

Toyota on the other hand has always been perceived as an aspirational brand, so in the minds of the consumer, the fortuner appears very high end.

Again, the service reach and the 2nd kicker of the diesel mill will make this a more affordable aspiration for Hyundai's TG.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:26   #100
BHPian

I'm somewhat surprised at the number of comments related to pricing of this particular car. IMHO it is reasonably priced considering how it is priced/sold relative to other cars in its segment elsewhere in the world.

My perception is that current Hyundai's are far more reliable and almost there with their Japanese counterparts as far as reliability is concerned with only moderate costs of ownership. The snob value may not be there - but overall it seems to be a decent deal for the package offered.

Could Hyundai have made it cheaper by going CKD. Of course yes ... And I think that is where all the criticism should go. If they need to crack this segment then it needs to be marketed/promoted aggressively rather than they themselves being not convinced about their brand image viability in this segment. That effort is and has been quite lacking from Hyundai. Anyway I'm off from this now.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:54   #101
BHPian

This CBU game is going to be yet another Tucson-Terracan kinda story for Hyundai...All of a sudden, Fortuner's pricing seems too good to be true.

The good part is once the Santa Fe becomes a flop story (which it definitely will), we can pick Pre-Worshiped specimens at a great bargain 1-2 years down the lane....Thanks Hyundai!
Old 21st October 2010, 16:17   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
The good part is once the Santa Fe becomes a flop story (which it definitely will), we can pick Pre-Worshiped specimens at a great bargain 1-2 years down the lane....Thanks Hyundai!
You stole my words there; i have a pre-worshiped elantra right now and looks like after 3 to 4 years will have a pre-worshiped Santa -fe
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:57   #103
BHPian

I totally agree with all the comments about the pricing flaw made by hyundai.. But we are reacting or rather over reacting because a vehicle in the volume generating segment is wrongly priced. But we indians have always been given such treatment from top automobile makers from like ever! How can you justify any mercedes/bmw/audi cars at that price segment?? You can buy an S-class at the price of merc E class entry model in west!!! Now we don't make such a hoopla about it.. Do we?! Same goes to all the luxury cars in all segments.. None of them is priced correctly. We are given such treatment because we take it.. Agreed the import duties are too high but still almost all the prices are way too high even if we calculate the import duties on prices abroad!

And I do believe that Toyota is a very reliable brand (no experience till now but quoting what the general belief is) and the fortuner is a good suv BUT.. If santa fe would have been priced similarly, then I am sure this car would have eaten a big chunk of entry level luxury suv segment! No issue of hyundai a lesser brand than toyota.

Last edited by magikrider : 22nd October 2010 at 01:02.
Old 22nd October 2010, 07:32   #104
BANNED

The great Indian deal seeker thought process! yes I am also with you on this in theory. Indeed I would certainly like an used Fortuner after another 2 years or so provided it is in good condition.

Just for perspective lets take a look at residual values quoted for Toyota vehicles - Fortuner is expected to hold up to 60-65% of its original purchase price after 3 years usage. so lets say that 2-3 years down the line an used Fortuner in Bangalore is likely to get a value of around -14 lacs-ish. dont know if this will come true given the greater choice of vehicles one is likely to have 2-3 years down the line.

Used Corollas are available in the market - 2004-2005 vintage H4 - H5's are being quoted at 5-6 lacs. this is about 50% of their original price. There are a number of transactions that have taken place at these prices.

Used Hyundai Tucsons are available in the marketplace - a 5 year old specimen's asking price is around 9-11 lacs or so - again around 50-60% of their original price. However I havent seen an actual happy transaction taking place at this kind of price.

Used Elantra's, Sonata's etc are only able to attract much lower residual values and this makes me think that even the Tucson, however desirable it may be, may not in reality be able to command asking prices as noted above.

Just for example I saw a very well kept, used Honda CRV (2005 model) which cost about 18-20-ish when bought, going for 10 around 6 months ago - in front of my eyes. (Private sale). Also saw a beautifully kept Montero which must have cost at least 40 when purchased brand new, going to a used car customer exactly one year after its purchase, at 22 lacs!

If one takes a hard view of the financials, there are several pro's and con's there.

Pro's largely on account of the vehicles being desirable and possibly more accessible to regular guys when bought in the used market.

If one has hard cash to make maximum downpayment and take relatively little via finance, then it could be a good deal. But the Con's are on account of the high cost of finance for used cars, availability of only 70% funding on used SUV's. Possible cost of worn out bits and pieces and repairs - tyres, engine cleanups, mechanicals like bearings and suspension etc and even perhaps improper usage of 4WD etc etc.

So I am led to believe that while the used car market is beginning to come of age in India, we are still about 4-5 years away from the "super-deal" scenario which one sees in the developed world.

The Santa Fe, hence, may end up having a chance. There is always that portion of the populace that want a brand new tag, without bothering too much about the brand. And in whatever small-ish numbers the Santa Fe may sell, this fact alone may end up keeping its residual value slightly higher than average when it does get into the used car market.

Having said all this - Bangalore city's used car pricing is rather un-real - and that is a terrible thing indeed, from the perspective of a regular bloke like myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd October 2010 at 07:34.
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:15   #105
BANNED

I didn't liked the front at all also the insane pricing. They could have continue their luck through the i series. ix35 any one?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai to launch Santa Fe EDIT: Now launched-ix35.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed