Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 16:44   #181
BHPian

Wanted to pursue automobile engineering, which infact was very much available for me but due to some reason chose electronics.
I have plans to start my own service station for which i am collecting data and money and surely down the line will share the news with you all.
Old 26th April 2010, 17:25   #182
BANNED

The fire never dies.

I have always wanted to pursue an auto career and was also able to get into Daewoo Motors as a campus recruit. But after the company closed down, and other hurdles later, ended up in IT at Bangalore.

I have also been lucky enough to handle a few automotive projects and have, like most of us, kept myself technically and analytically updated about them continuously.

But my efforts to get back to the auto field full time have never dampened nor will they ever. I keep writing/sending random mails to the recruitment wings of all the auto companies even today though I haven't received a single reply till date. Somehow, that doesn't stop me from trying harder.

So, that is it about my obsession and effort to get where I want to. And yes, I admit that this post too, is an attempt to grab the attention of someone who can do something, to give me a chance.
Old 26th April 2010, 17:36   #183
BHPian

I have been infatuated by cars ever since I remember. As a kid, I used to jokingly tell my parents that I'd like to become a truck driver. I went on to get an MBA degee in Finance and now am doing a corporate job. Still I feel that If I were to chose an alternate career it would be to become a writer - with a twist. Become a Truck Driver. Drive around the country - Eat, sleep at the roadside Dhabbas and carry my Laptop around to write my passions - maybe auto journalism and spiritualism.

Another version of, 'Zen and the art of bike' .. No.. 'Car Maintenance !!'
Old 26th April 2010, 17:43   #184
BHPian

I always wanted to be one. Unfortunately, my father thought that I'd be better off as an ECE engg.. It is so unfortunate that I now know only how to drive a car but not fix it. Now I don't get a little time to explore the mechanics of a car and the patience levels have come down considerably. i just hope that I improve on the same soon..
Old 27th April 2010, 16:58   #185
Senior - BHPian

I graduated in Automobile, Cars are my Passion. But now the irony is that I have to learn Electrical / Power Plant Engineering to support my JOB .
Old 27th April 2010, 18:18   #186
Senior - BHPian

Shocking to see the number of ECE guys here!

Do we all think it was a mistake?

I love driving more than anything else in the world. Also I really enjoy understanding what makes a product tick with the markets. And perhaps understanding what could have been done better with products launched in the past.

Spammed all auto companies a few months back and have received no calls. I too have a job offer from a consulting/IT firm. Won't give up just yet, will try for an MBA and then do the spamming exercise again.
Old 30th April 2010, 19:43   #187

Folks,

I have bit of information that I wanted to share, for those who would like to pursue career in auto field.

Are you looking for a technical job - I mean actually designing, tuning, testing an automobile? I saw some responses where people would like to own a car dealership or like to drive some high end cars as a career etc. but the details below are not relevant for you.

These are the some of the areas:
1). Under the hood - (powertrain systems: majorly engine and transmission)
2). In the body - Exteriors (Lane monitoring, cruise control) and Interiors (ICE, HVAC: heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning)
3). Chassis (ABS, Traction Control, Stability Program, Electronic Break Distribution)
4). Overall - Diagnostics systems, In car communication systems (search for CAN protocols, J1850, LIN, etc.)

These days, most of the innovation is happening using Electronics in the cars. You can pursue either of the skills:
1). Control System Engineering
* Electronics Engineering (Hardware design, software development : you could be developing micro-controllers based platforms, harness, sensors or other developments, and this needs little actual domain knowledge)
* System engineering - with the knowledge of Matlab / Simulink and dozens of other measurement and analysis tools; and tons of actual system knowledge - you define the behavior of the system (u call it a car ).
2). Mechanical engineering - read non-software, non-electronics stuff like aerodynamics or parts design etc. - I have absolutely no knowledge about it and will leave it for others to provide info.

This is at very high level, and it would be impossible to cover all the flavors of stuff that we do in Auto engineering here. So, if people have any specific questions, I can definitely answer them.

Thanks.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:47   #188

Hello all, must appreciate your enthusiasm. I guess there are many Dealerships in India. What I feel that is missing is the technology that keeps the car looking good (exterior and interior). Paint protection, paint restoration and high level of car grooming is quite popular abroad. What this means is that the shine of your car will stay as it was when you drove out of the show room ! Believe me it is possible. I have done it ! keen to know, let me know.

Regards Sid
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:15   #189

This is really cool guys!!!

Always wanted to be an economist, worked hard for CAT, finished MBA, and took a finance job with an english automotive engineering company which had its programming and software development center in Kolkata, that was quite a long time back, and now instead of AC cabins, beautiful secretaries and stiff suited booted people, i'm surrounded with heaps of ABS conrollers, power steering, roof controllers, Engine ECUs, dash boards etc in suburbs of London , I'm either looking into one, trying to figure a way to fix them, or just trying to get a way to come up with a better one, I had no formal education in Automobile, but i probably never felt at home more. Managed to put all my savings in two sports car, upsetting my girlfriend and family. The technology available here is awesome, please support me guys, i intend to take this technology back home...........
Old 12th May 2010, 16:57   #190
BHPian

Auto jobs

For those interested in an automotive career.

The following ad in todays TOI-Ascent gives a fair idea of the kind of skillsets, exp, education that is required for this area.

ePaper Lite - Times of India Publications

Eligible people may want to apply too

cheers
lazy
Old 12th May 2010, 17:52   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjains View Post
Folks,

I have bit of information that I wanted to share, for those who would like to pursue career in auto field.

Are you looking for a technical job - I mean actually designing, tuning, testing an automobile? I saw some responses where people would like to own a car dealership or like to drive some high end cars as a career etc. but the details below are not relevant for you.

These are the some of the areas:
1). Under the hood - (powertrain systems: majorly engine and transmission)
2). In the body - Exteriors (Lane monitoring, cruise control) and Interiors (ICE, HVAC: heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning)
3). Chassis (ABS, Traction Control, Stability Program, Electronic Break Distribution)
4). Overall - Diagnostics systems, In car communication systems (search for CAN protocols, J1850, LIN, etc.)

These days, most of the innovation is happening using Electronics in the cars. You can pursue either of the skills:
1). Control System Engineering
* Electronics Engineering (Hardware design, software development : you could be developing micro-controllers based platforms, harness, sensors or other developments, and this needs little actual domain knowledge)
* System engineering - with the knowledge of Matlab / Simulink and dozens of other measurement and analysis tools; and tons of actual system knowledge - you define the behavior of the system (u call it a car ).
2). Mechanical engineering - read non-software, non-electronics stuff like aerodynamics or parts design etc. - I have absolutely no knowledge about it and will leave it for others to provide info.

This is at very high level, and it would be impossible to cover all the flavors of stuff that we do in Auto engineering here. So, if people have any specific questions, I can definitely answer them.

Thanks.
There are many more streams both technical and non technical

1.) Transportation Designer / stylist

2. Interior Designer

3. Vehicle Integration.

4. Product Defination.

5. New Product Introduction & New Market Introduction.

6. Product Support.

7. Service Engineering.

8. Validation / Field trial.

9. Continous Product Improvement.

to name a few.

And apart from that parallel opportunities like in race teams, opening a service station, insurance surveyor, automotive Journalist, sales etc. also do exist.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:57   #192

@Manish:
You are right Manish.
However, I was trying to cover the electronics / technology pieces at high level in the domain, and not talk of various functions required.

In any product development org. one needs functional groups like Prod Mgmt, Sales, Support, Finance & Costing, Technical Marketing, Proj / Prog. Mgmt, Documentation team, Dev and QA etc.
Matured organizations also needs Process & Regulatory Compliance teams, Legal, CRM, Intellectual Property Mgmt office etc.

This is true for Auto, BFSI, Data Storage, Consumer white goods, Power sector or any domain you name.

Definitely, it would be absolutely impossible to cover all the flavors of tech / non-tech jobs that exists in auto sector, therefore I said if someone has any specific query I can try to answer it.

Thanks.
Old 19th May 2010, 00:09   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjains View Post
Definitely, it would be absolutely impossible to cover all the flavors of tech / non-tech jobs that exists in auto sector, therefore I said if someone has any specific query I can try to answer it.

Thanks.
So nice of you my friend, I almost forgot in the joy of answering .
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:08   #194
BHPian

When ever I buy a new car, I always see something lacks in the car.
It may be leg space, seats, dash board, cabin light position steering wheel angle etc which may not be to my liking. At that point of time my mind says, why don’t I become a interior designer for a car.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:11   #195
BHPian

Hi guys, am back after a long time i have a query hope someone car answer here. theres a guy in relative who has recently given 10th cbse exams. now he plans to go for automobile designing this is where he stuck. they asked me but unfortunatley i also don't have any idea about all this. so que. is what should he opt if if want to go for desiging? certainly it should be science side (?) secondly once he passes his 12th, what all are the best car design schools here in India? (except DC one) and what all qualification is required? moreover, is there any future of this designing field? Please Help asap!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks