Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 23:20   #196
BHPian

Where's everyone? Do Answer these questions asap:
- Is it possible to go with car designing with commerce side? If Yes? How?
- What are the reputed desiging colleges in india and what are the eligibility?
- Is there any future of this career? is it worth opting?
Old 5th June 2010, 00:54   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_v1per View Post
Hi! There's a nice and reputed design school in Pune. It's a French design school that had opened it's campus in India just 2 years back.
More info here: Game Design School| Industrial Design School| International game design school India| Animation Institute| DSK ISD| Pune| India|

There's a lot of future in designing. In India as well as abroad. Although, you have to be very good to be successful.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:31   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_v1per View Post
Well If you want to venture into styling yes you can if you have necessary skills and creativity. One of the prominent stylist is from the commerce background. You need to prepare a portfolio of your and then send across various colleges in India/ abroad. you can visit sites coroflot and core77 to know more about portfolio and works of other people as well as the prerequisits.

There are few schools in India like symbiosys school of transportation design. National Institute of Design both offering transportation design. Other institutes are MIT pune and the IIT's and IIS'c Bangalore which have product design and require engineering as a background.

And if you are looking for the Design (mechanical, structural etc.) then one should have an engineering background.

Future is very bright but with a star mark, the styling indistry is a very high profile job and to get into it is very toughf, you must be cream or else whole life people end up designing side rear view mirror's, handles or wheel covers.

A prominent stylist was doing that before starting his own establishment.

I also once spoke to Ajay Jain (the stylist and the visiting faculty for UMEA institue of Design Sweeden), he is now in India.

3 things were recomended by him

1. Do as much of sketching as you can, make your self comfortable drawing cars in different perspectives. There are books available to assist. Look in amozon (I forgot the names).

2. Make yourself familarize with rihno (the software used extensively in the industry for car modelling) apart from the Alias.

3. Rendering / Coloring is another thing we should practice and try to bring highlights to our sketchings.

You can start with basic colors and then move on to pastels and to the rendering markers Like Copic or Letraset for good results.

Rendering with pen and ink is a book for architects but in the end gives some basics on drawing cars and perspective. Zeroxing those pages from a Library book will be of good help to you.

you can find some other good books over here

Design and Sketching book reviews

Hope this infor is of use to every one.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:00   #199
BHPian

Rhino is great for rendering, but aren't most automotive companies using Catia? Personally i think the design/rendering program used depends upon the industry someones interested in.
Automotive - Catia
Aerospace - Inventor
Not sure about structural engineering.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:40   #200
BHPian

Goal post getting near and near..hurray!!

Since my childhood, am fascinated at the sight of new cars. Was from Vizag, not much imports or new cars seen till past decade. when i see any import or a new car i used be like wow (jaw wide open).. stare till its out of sight and sometime dangerously try to chase it to have maximum glance. I remember when i used to draw those imaginary designs, get to the nearest library and hunt for books just to see futuristic designed cars pictures. Collect all the possible cars posters, stickers, buy car mags with saved pocket money and create an album. I still have it.
Back to topic. With no qualification to grab a career in automobile and being an MBA finance graduate landed up in corporate job.
But, career in automobile was always haunting my mind. Finally, am working on creating a career by myself.
Hopefully, if all my plans work out, i would be starting off an automotive (car) service center in an year or two. Already started the ground job, meeting people to understand what would it take to set a service centre, possibility of partnership, initial capital required, hire the right people etc. I am more interested in mechanics of automobile. so, planning up for service center and then want to move up to sales.
I am confident on my venture and with blessings, hopefully i reach my goal soon.
Old 10th June 2010, 01:10   #201
BHPian

Thats great jaizcrzy. Best wishes & may you attain success. Perhaps i may go down the same lane someday
Old 10th June 2010, 12:33   #202
BHPian

I was 8 when my Dad got his Kawasaki RTZ. I still remember how facinated i was when the engine started. Always loved bikes..! Period. After i ended up finishing masters in Electronic Control systems and Instrumentation..little did i imagine that i could work on something related to motor vehicles..! I still vividly remember the day when my mentor opened up the hood of a Honda Civic and showed me the ECU that i would be working on..needless to say..i was thrilled to bits.

Now nearly 7 years after that eventful day in the garage, i continue to work in the field of Automotive embedded systems as a software developer. while I silently relish the fact that electronics is gaining an upper hand in cars today, I still enjoy the sheer vrroom of the engine.

software developers in automotive industry..we are a cut above the rest of "software" masses...and quite a happy bunch too..! Any others who could second MHO..?
Old 10th June 2010, 19:26   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Rhino is great for rendering, but aren't most automotive companies using Catia? Personally i think the design/rendering program used depends upon the industry someones interested in.
Automotive - Catia
Aerospace - Inventor
Not sure about structural engineering.
Catia is used at the component level and not for styling. Styling still the mentioned softwares are used.

The stylers still give the basic styling from the styling software in the form of surfaces. This is then worked / engineered on Catia, like stiffners, mounting brackets, analysis, production drawing and mould / die design.

For structural engineering, Ansys, Algor, Adam and Adam family etc. are used.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:45   #204
BHPian

I think I've always wanted to own a big collection of classic cars. That's probably why Jay Leno is someone I wish I knew 'cause his collection is beyond incredible. I've worked hard (& continue to do so) to amass a fortune that will eventually allow me to turn this dream into a reality. I don't think I'm anywhere close to finished but I'll keep trying. Now the dream is to open a classic cars museum. I know that there's a Government owned one in Bombay already but I'd rather collectively own one with other car lovers like myself, with each of us adding to the collection as time passes. Just thinking about it makes me intensely happy.
Old 11th June 2010, 21:43   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeev.d View Post
I think I've always wanted to own a big collection of classic cars. That's probably why Jay Leno is someone I wish I knew 'cause his collection is beyond incredible. I've worked hard (& continue to do so) to amass a fortune that will eventually allow me to turn this dream into a reality. I don't think I'm anywhere close to finished but I'll keep trying. Now the dream is to open a classic cars museum. I know that there's a Government owned one in Bombay already but I'd rather collectively own one with other car lovers like myself, with each of us adding to the collection as time passes. Just thinking about it makes me intensely happy.
Like Jay Leno, it is one of my dream too. By the way where is the Government owned one in Mumbai that you speak off.
Old 11th June 2010, 21:47   #206
Senior - BHPian

My brother in law is working for Continental in Bangalore
He was telling me that their company is recruiting for several positions including freshers. interested souls may check the company website for job listings.
Old 11th June 2010, 23:54   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Catia is used at the component level and not for styling. Styling still the mentioned softwares are used.

The stylers still give the basic styling from the styling software in the form of surfaces. This is then worked / engineered on Catia, like stiffners, mounting brackets, analysis, production drawing and mould / die design.

For structural engineering, Ansys, Algor, Adam and Adam family etc. are used.
To a degree i agree with you, but i see entire car bodies from some of the bigger automotive manufactures work entirely in Catia. Ive got models, but sadly cant share them here due to confidentiality agreements. For example i know the T1 was designed entirely using Catia as are some cars by French and British marques. We work with both body and component design/manufacturing.

Nevertheless Rhino is a program used across a wide range of industries and is worth learning. I know of Ansys but never used any of the others u mentioned. Its always interesting to learn whats being used.
Old 12th June 2010, 07:49   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
To a degree i agree with you, but i see entire car bodies from some of the bigger automotive manufactures work entirely in Catia. Ive got models, but sadly cant share them here due to confidentiality agreements. For example i know the T1 was designed entirely using Catia as are some cars by French and British marques. We work with both body and component design/manufacturing.

Nevertheless Rhino is a program used across a wide range of industries and is worth learning. I know of Ansys but never used any of the others u mentioned. Its always interesting to learn whats being used.
I agree with you, but what I say is the styling i.e. the basic shape was earlier hand drawn (many concepts were made and many views also), then came photoshop and Sketch book pro. Now also this is used. And it is still the Styler who provides the style data in form of surface made in Rihno or Alias and then exported in catia format and worked upon in catia.

But then there are always exception and your company would just be one, My company uses Pro-e for all its Drawings .
Old 12th June 2010, 15:15   #209
BHPian

Friends, i have always wanted to be an automobile designer (heavy term i know) but ended up doing a Mechanical Engineering (though i worked for FIAT as an intern for 7 months) n now might as well end up doing an MBA.

DC college wants 2 years job experience and NID takes up 10 students a year.
Very difficult and costly affair.

Is there a design or sketches forum here so that i can upload my work?
Old 14th June 2010, 10:22   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-phile View Post
Friends, i have always wanted to be an automobile designer (heavy term i know) but ended up doing a Mechanical Engineering (though i worked for FIAT as an intern for 7 months) n now might as well end up doing an MBA.

DC college wants 2 years job experience and NID takes up 10 students a year.
Very difficult and costly affair.

Is there a design or sketches forum here so that i can upload my work?
NID is not that costly compared to many Private Institutes (Both India and Abroad). And if your good at it will be damn easy for you to get through NID.

Another route is CEED (Common Entrance Exam for Design) to get in to Product Designing at the IIT's. You have to give written, practical and the interview .

Alternatively you can apply for UMEA Institute of Design Sweeden, last I heard was that they do not charge for the fees and only nominal amout towards membership. And one is allowed to work part time to fund his or her living there.

You can also try Symbiosis and MIT Pune for their offerings and entry criteria.

There is a new school in PUNE (DSKISD) in colobaration with ISD France, you can check that also. Further M.S. Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies (MSRSAS) in Colobaration with Coventry University, coventry England runs many courses in Automobile, you can check and see if any thing is of your liking.

If you want to go for the mechanical Design apart fron the IIT's, VIT Vellore runs a good PG Progarm too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks