Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 19:48   #211
Senior - BHPian

I did contemplate a Automotive career and was all set to join Saboo Siddique (Mumbai) for automotive engineering. But then switched to Computers at the last moment. My cousin proceeded with Automotive engineering and is a manufacturing consultant in a US major IT firm. What the hell!
Old 14th June 2010, 19:54   #212
@ri
BHPian

I got into an automotive career by accident literally, and thus began my love for cars .
One thing, I want to add though is that by an automotive career, it is not just Design and Automobile Engineering. There also is a hell lot into Automotive Production Management and trust me, it is one hell of a domain! Getting to understand how so many parts come together!!!
Old 14th June 2010, 21:02   #213
Senior - BHPian

I got into Electronics engineering at bachelor's level,and realized my mistake,it was too late then.
Now finally looking forward to Masters in Automotive engg
Old 15th June 2010, 15:52   #214
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I did contemplate a Automotive career and was all set to join Saboo Siddique (Mumbai) for automotive engineering. But then switched to Computers at the last moment.
You should be glad. From what I understand, Saboo Siddique is at the bottom of the pile in terms of education quality. Here's a post from Ported Head (on another thread). Note : He is an alumnus of the said institute:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
As far as Mumbai is concerned, the answer is NOOOOOO!!!

Yes, undergraduate courses are offered in colleges, a select few though, some affiliated to Mumbai University while some affiliated to Pune University too.

What ever you do, do not do Automobile Engineering under Mumbai University. The course reeks of haphazard planning and outdated syllabus, combined with their lacklustre attitude to teach absolute bollocks and to take exams for the heck of it, doesn't matter whether you learn something or not. They will rob you of any passion that you might have in you, and will force you to hand away all your money to tuitions.

I have no clue about the colleges down south, but since Mumbai University is conisdered to be one of the more reputed universities in India, I can only imagine what the lesser known universities are like. Whatever you do , also stay away from quack universities and those which offer AMIE courses or LIMSTE courses, nobody has heard of them, and you will only waste your time.

If you can afford it, get out of the country, try getting admission abroad. The options in universities abroad are astounding, and they have a more professional approach when it comes to teaching. If you absolutely cannot afford to study abroad, then try to do course under Mumbai University, but DO NOT expect wonders from the syllabus, do not expect phenomenal extra curricular activities, do not expect hands on practical training, do not expect immense backing from the automotive industry. These things though very well sound good on paper, do not expect a job, let alone a high paying job, unless you've aced right through the course, hats off to those who can. The less you expect the less you get disappointed.

Not scaring you man, just a little insight. There is more where that came from!

*PH receives halo around head, one good deed for the day. *

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2010 at 15:53.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:04   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You should be glad. From what I understand, Saboo Siddique is at the bottom of the pile in terms of education quality. Here's a post from Ported Head (on another thread). Note : He is an alumnus of the said institute:
Well almost all istitutes have more or less the same syllabus. I believe Tamilnadu has got a better syllabus. But I was doing part time Masters in Automotive Engineering for MIT Choromepet (under Anna university) and left as the course was of no use and outdated . Most of the time education is given for the sake of it and not by passion.

In Maharashtra there are 4 colleges giving Automotive education (apart from VJTI) and Saboo Siddique was termed the best in them. Now imagine the rest in terms of Syllabus.
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:07   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
NID is not that costly compared to many Private Institutes (Both India and Abroad). And if your good at it will be damn easy for you to get through NID.

Another route is CEED (Common Entrance Exam for Design) to get in to Product Designing at the IIT's. You have to give written, practical and the interview .

Alternatively you can apply for UMEA Institute of Design Sweeden, last I heard was that they do not charge for the fees and only nominal amout towards membership. And one is allowed to work part time to fund his or her living there.

You can also try Symbiosis and MIT Pune for their offerings and entry criteria.

There is a new school in PUNE (DSKISD) in colobaration with ISD France, you can check that also. Further M.S. Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies (MSRSAS) in Colobaration with Coventry University, coventry England runs many courses in Automobile, you can check and see if any thing is of your liking.

If you want to go for the mechanical Design apart fron the IIT's, VIT Vellore runs a good PG Progarm too.

WoW! that was a serious information.
Thanks man.
but i am thinking of joining these after getting some courses in Design softwares and sketching and also after i am settled and do these on my own..
Old 25th June 2010, 18:47   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Like Jay Leno, it is one of my dream too. By the way where is the Government owned one in Mumbai that you speak off.
Somewhere in the Fort area (Mumbai). I've never visited but I think they auction off those cars they do own, which is really tragic because I think every car enthusiast should have a chance to admire those old masterpieces.
Old 26th June 2010, 06:59   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-phile View Post
WoW! that was a serious information.
Thanks man.
but i am thinking of joining these after getting some courses in Design softwares and sketching and also after i am settled and do these on my own..
learning softwares are termed like learning to operate windows, no big deal. Sketching is given the utmost importance. Please proceed accordingly. Well if one wants to become a CAD operator then there are certification cources for them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeev.d View Post
Somewhere in the Fort area (Mumbai). I've never visited but I think they auction off those cars they do own, which is really tragic because I think every car enthusiast should have a chance to admire those old masterpieces.
I don't think so there is any govt. museum in mumbai. The Govt has recently alloted land to VCCCI for the museum.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:04   #219
BHPian

I've worked as a Branch Co-ordinator and D-Segment Consultant for Honda's in Kerala during 2005-06.
Later moved to Bangalore and joined the IT Rat race!
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:50   #220
BHPian

I work for Daimler AG, Regional Logistics Center in Jebel Ali - U.A.E. Already in the much loved automotive industry for the last 4+ years and it feels good. I don't have enough opportunity to interact with vehicles, but have the advantage of being in the industry (See cars much before it is launched and much more).

I was working for Volvo Parts before and had a chance to have a good time spend in EU as a part of it. Traveled a lot and enjoyed every minute of it. 8 countries in two years is not bad I believe. Left Volvo in 2008 Feb and joined Daimler (Daimler Chrysler at that time).

My dream job would be working as a test driver, testing cars worldwide. I also wish to run a good workshop back home. Being a grease monkey, that is my plan for a good retirement.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:26   #221
BHPian

This seems to be the proper thread for this post. don't infract me Mods

Posting it here too, so that interested members don't miss out on the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
Received an opening for Tata Motors, Market Research Manager - Passenger Car BU.

The document doesn't talk of experience required.

Though I have Industrial Research experience, I am not too keen on a research career.

Interested members can PM me their mail ID, shall forward it.
Old 20th August 2010, 22:54   #222
BHPian

Ever contemplated. I always wanted to be in automobiles till i get bored and decide to leave. I am an advtg. and branding professional who wants to really work for an automobile in mktg. or communications. Im hopeful that i will.
I would be grateful if the team-bhp family can help me achieve this dream.

PS- bhpians working or know about marketing requirements in automobile companies feel free to PM will provide all details.
Old 1st October 2010, 19:51   #223
BHPian

I thought that I could have gotten into Autmobile design when I was in school... but it didn't quite work out that way. Went the normal route, and am now another UM-B-YAY. Of course, am always interested in joining a car company in roles in Marketing/Branding. Any openings?
Old 11th October 2010, 09:49   #224
BHPian

My failed attempt to get into anything automotive-
Was interested in cars since school days. Family pressure put me into electronics engineering. Unable to digest that I would never get into automotive industry I pursued embedded systems training which I thought would take me closer to automotive application of electronics. I was so desparate to enter auto industry then that I didn't even apply for any other job. When it was about time I was to join a small embedded system's firm my health gave way and I was hospitalized for a surgery. After several twists and turns (which will take couple of pages to cover!)now I am sitting in a software firm and typing this message wondering why hell am I here
Old 5th December 2010, 02:49   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have ALWAYS wanted to venture in a premium car dealership and hopefully one day it will be possible. One that boasts of the HIGHEST quality service - a level that has previously been unseen in India. One that gets more customers through word of mouth than silly advertisements. Simply put, an organisation that is built around the clientelle.

Whats yours?

GTO
I could work at your dealership as a SP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks