Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 22:41   #256
BHPian

Re: Ever contemplated an Automotive career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Skye, NOW is a good time to decide.

Make sure you go to a accredited flying school.

I guess half of the institutes in India are rogue setups. (If you believe what they write in the papers)
I have decided! If I select a flying school in India, it will be IRGUA or CAE Global Academy in Gondia. Both are accredited flying schools. But my cousin(pilot) recommends I go to a good flying school in the U.S.

That is my number 1 choice right now.

Mostly the media and papers are full of hype, but they are right about the scam in most of India's flying schools. Half of the people who pass the final CPL exams are through bribery and extortions. Sad, really.
Old 10th May 2011, 23:22   #257
BHPian

Can anyone please tell me what a Race Engineer is ? Or in short how different is he than a Automobile Engineer ? Is there any difference in the courses/subjects they study ?
Old 11th May 2011, 00:06   #258
Senior - BHPian

A Race engineer is an Automobile engineer first but vice versa is not true.

You need to have a special understanding of the hi tech enginnering and tuning that goes in to the car. There are cources available abroad for the same, but more of a certificate rather than awarding a degree as far as I know.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:12   #259
Senior - BHPian

Skye1592: I had an opportunity to visit Gondia NFTI facility along with another Bhapian when his Chopper was brought there for some repairs. You can see the pics of aircrafts at the facility in below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...-giants-8.html

IMO I found the institute to be well developed for training it imparted. Though the instructers were quite snobbish.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 10:19   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Skye1592: I had an opportunity to visit Gondia NFTI facility along with another Bhapian when his Chopper was brought there for some repairs. You can see the pics of aircrafts at the facility in below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...-giants-8.html

IMO I found the institute to be well developed for training it imparted. Though the instructers were quite snobbish.

Raab Rakha.
Thank you for the pictures ariesonu! I too agree that Gondia is one of the few flying schools in India which are credible.
Most of the others have the same problem, no flight instructors! Especially in government flying schools.

I still think it is better to finish all licensing exams in the United States. It is a fairly simple process to convert them to Indian licenses through the DGCA.

P.S: That fellow BHPian had helicopter ratings?! That is an added advantage.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:45   #261
Senior - BHPian

Skye: Anyone owning more than dozen full size ships needs to have his own air transportation. He is quite inactive these days.
I know some shippies who have changed over to Flying due to implications of jobs at sea & ofcourse the 'Glamour' of flying. If I'm not wrong than training in US can cost one about 7-8L or may be more.
I have some friends (Ex-Airforce) & some direct entrant who are AME or something like that with Kingfisher & Jet respectively.

Raab Rakha.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:12   #262
BHPian

I am always dreamt of brand building for a automotive company. Still trying to achive this dream.
Old 11th May 2011, 14:52   #263
BHPian

Yes I have contemplated an automotive career, and I DO HAVE an Automotive career!

Being a petrol-head since childhood, it was difficult for me to choose any other field. I could have easily joined my dad in his business ( hes been an investor in the stock market since over 40 years ! ) However after my graduation, I applied for a job with 'Sai Service'- a dealer for Maruti ( after seeing their ad in the newspaper ), and was elated to get the job after a quick interview. After 4 months, I got a break with Auto Hangar ( dealer for Mercedes-Benz and Honda cars ) as a Sales Consultant. This is where my career really took off. Within 2 years I moved on to being a Senior Sales consultant, to a Product Manager. I handled the portfolio of S Class and CBU sales for a close to a year until March 2008.

I moved into aviation ( my other passion ) from March 2008 until April 2010 working for a TATA owned company called BJETS ( selling fractional ownership of private aircraft ) but the love for cars and the brand brought me back to Mercedes-Benz and Auto Hangar.

I am now the Sales Manager for the new 'Metro' Auto hangar showroom at Hughes Road in Mumbai.

Its been 7 years now since my first job and I do not regret a single decision I have made in these 7 years. I had the option to pursue an MBA in India or abroad, but havent taken that up as yet. After all, how many 27 year olds have over 7 years of work experience?

The growth of the luxury car market in India has been extraordinary, and along with it so has been the growth of people associated to the industry - so watch out for this space!!
Old 12th May 2011, 13:45   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Skye: Anyone owning more than dozen full size ships needs to have his own air transportation. He is quite inactive these days.
I know some shippies who have changed over to Flying due to implications of jobs at sea & ofcourse the 'Glamour' of flying. If I'm not wrong than training in US can cost one about 7-8L or may be more.
I have some friends (Ex-Airforce) & some direct entrant who are AME or something like that with Kingfisher & Jet respectively.

Raab Rakha.
I see! There are a lot of people who join the aviation industry for the 'glamour' of it.
A good flight school in the U.S. will charge you up to $55000-$58000 for your
Commercial Pilot License with multi-engine and instrument rating
Private Pilot License and Chief Flight Instructor with IR and ME ratings, which comes up to 25-28 lacs INR. IRGUA also charges the same amount. So I don't think there is much of a difference.
Old 19th May 2011, 04:02   #265
Senior - BHPian

@Manishalive

I wanted to pursue Transportation design way back in 2004.
But doing it in colleges mentioned by you was costing me in range of 18 to 40 lakhs with no Job Placement Guarantee, it was out of my reach.

We have a Transportation design college in PUNE now , and DC is a visiting faculty out there.

NID Ahemadabad was supposed to come out with Transportation Design stream way back in 2004 as well, any updates on the same?

I managed to clear IIT CEED in 2003 with all INDIA Rank 98th, but did not wish to join PRODUCT DESIGN and hence did not appear for round 2.

Tried my luck @AUTOCAR office in Parel, Ouseph Chakho was the person i met, he was impressed with my sketches and requested me to try and meet ( and keep following ) editor - Hormazd to land a Job.Never did that since i landed up with my first job soon.

Also landed at DC - Andheri -Marol office hoping to be a Trainee Rookie designer, but was Politely informed that i would need some background in MECH dept ( I am BE in ELECTRONICS ).

I have settled down in an IT Job and have decided to Work hard to Fuel my passion for Automobiles and Touring.
Old 19th May 2011, 10:59   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
@Manishalive

I wanted to pursue Transportation design way back in 2004.
But doing it in colleges mentioned by you was costing me in range of 18 to 40 lakhs with no Job Placement Guarantee, it was out of my reach.

We have a Transportation design college in PUNE now , and DC is a visiting faculty out there.

NID Ahemadabad was supposed to come out with Transportation Design stream way back in 2004 as well, any updates on the same?

I managed to clear IIT CEED in 2003 with all INDIA Rank 98th, but did not wish to join PRODUCT DESIGN and hence did not appear for round 2.

Tried my luck @AUTOCAR office in Parel, Ouseph Chakho was the person i met, he was impressed with my sketches and requested me to try and meet ( and keep following ) editor - Hormazd to land a Job.Never did that since i landed up with my first job soon.

Also landed at DC - Andheri -Marol office hoping to be a Trainee Rookie designer, but was Politely informed that i would need some background in MECH dept ( I am BE in ELECTRONICS ).

I have settled down in an IT Job and have decided to Work hard to Fuel my passion for Automobiles and Touring.

This post of yours have evoked a lot of memories and emotions. May be we need to catch up some time. I had a quite similar story albeit I did Automobile Engineering. NID is now offering Transportation design. One of my friend is to persue studies there.

UMEA sweeden does not charge any fees , but then there are other charges.

@ All: Please do not at any cost stop chasing your dreams, else they will haunt you for ever.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:49   #267
Senior - BHPian

Hey Manish

I have stopped regretting about whatever has happened, i was not allowed to do Automobile engineering since family felt it was a risky stream way back in 1998 to join.

I have not stopped chasing my dreams.....in fact Team bhp and Discovery turbo has made my resolve much stronger and dreams larger!

I have still kept my 19 year old Padmini inspite of buying a new Nano against all odds.

I love both of them and wish to restore her to full glory when vitamin M is not an issue, maybe 3-4 years down the line.

I am also a big fan of cardesignnews.com, have a good collection of scale models ( around 80 ) and passion for automobiles is something which is natural and which will never go till the last breath.
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:27   #268
BHPian

If you consider a "Diesel Locomotive driver" an automotive career, then Yes I did.

It all started when I was a small kid. My native place is Pamban in "Rameswaram" island. My parents were staying in Chennai, while I was with my grandparents in Pamban during my early schooling. That was the time when the only means of transport to the island is by Train. The road bridge was being constructed at that time. To visit my parents in Chennai, or to go to shopping @ Ramanathapuram, the district HQ or to Madurai for my hospital checkups, we had to rely on trains. I love the train journeys. Most of the trains were run with Steam locos, even at that time I used to sit in the windows ( I was very tiny at that time), fix my face in the grill and urge the train to go faster, after some time due to coal dust falling into my eyes I will back down, then repeat.

During my Chennai visits I will almost be awake the whole night, waiting for the junctions to come so that I can catch a glimpse of the engines. It was a time when I believed I was being taken in two trains for the Chennai to Rameswaram as the engines don't match(Electric till villupuram and then diesel/steam till Rameswaram). I used to take my brother along with me to watch Vaigai express entering majestically into the city with such a speed that all the garbage and dust near the tracks will be stirred up in the air and have gotten nicely for that, it was a sight to behold.

Then gradually I grew up with info on how to become a diesel engine driver, occasionally I meet up one of my relatives who was a senior driver in Madurai division. Learnt about the Golden rock driver training institute, so geared up for it, but fate had its own course for me. When I was doing my 8th std, I started getting bad headaches and when checked up, my right eye vision was getting bad. So had to wear spectacles and there went the diesel loco driver dream.

Things changed and now I am a software engineer, but the love for locos still remain with me.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:44   #269

i have been lucky enough to be able to get into the industry although id like to set up my own design studio one day to provide the companies with a fresh thought on future of mobility.

i am currently working as as automotive designer. but the dream of setting up my own studio still has a long way to go.
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:23   #270
BHPian

still trying to get the big break in the Automotive Photography Arena !.
no success yet, mailed my folio to a lot of mags and photographers but

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks