Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:35   #271
BHPian

Re: Ever contemplated an Automotive career?

Cars are life to me like most others here.

Ive always focussed on getting into an auto career and joined an ad agency only to know the auto brand is handled out of some other place. Moved to another agency which had an auto brand in the branch but as I moved there, it moved to another team. So there have been misses but i will surely work for an auto brand. The places I joined recognised my auto passion and bosses have said you better join an auto brand.

I am now looking to work for an auto co. in a marketing position. Im sure this will manifest and work out soon.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:14   #272
BHPian

Like a lot of our colleagues, even though i have a passion for automobiles due to various reasons I got into the IT industry. Now trying to complement my love for automobiles in the IT Industry, but yeah its not the same. I have tried to get into the Automobile industry a no of times, but i always end up in a catch 22 situation i.e. no Automobile industry experience. Wish somebody had advised me earlier to pursue my passion:(. well will still keep trying
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:27   #273
BHPian

Wanted to be an Automotive Designer, had a chance to go to the new DYP-DC automobile design college in Pune as well, but had to forgo that due to prohibitive fees and the fact that it was the first year of the college. A friend enrolled and is quite pleased with it though.

Now have dreams of becoming a rally driver, DiRT2 and DiRT3 are to blame.
Old 11th November 2011, 13:44   #274
BHPian

To put it in the simplest of words, I want to build a car service outlet.

A one-stop shop for all car needs. This includes the following:
1. Complete car service & repair.
2. Exterior detailing, including dent repair, painting, polishing.
3. Anti-corrosion and anti-rust treatment (not only underbody, but also other inaccessible metal parts)
4. Mechanical repairs.
5. Accident repairs.
6. Interior detailing.
7. All sorts of car accessories, like ICEs, cabin equipment, etc.
8. Wheels, tyres, other accessories like steering wheels, pedals, gear knobs, etc. In short a complete accessories outlet.
9. Diagnosis and testing for fault detection.

Ever since I have been enthusiastic about cars, this has been a BIG DREAM of mine. Also, in a place like Goa, where people have generous pockets and don't mind spending for quality, there are not enough places where there is comprehensive car care.

I have also been very optimistic about opting for a career in Automobile Engineering, but there are no institutions yet in Goa that offer a complete course in this field.

I am aware that to materialize this dream of mine, it will take a HUGE amount of capital. However, I am never short of optimism and am confident that one day I will build this. It will be a major achievement for me, for I think that this is really an excellent business proposition.

I have noticed some places like CARNATION in some cities, but I am yet to come across a place that is truly a ONE-STOP-SHOP. I shall one day, build the very same.

Please share your ideas and comments on this idea of mine, will be really grateful.
Thanks.
Old 12th November 2011, 12:14   #275
BHPian

I want to do R&D in the Automotive sector specially in the electronic section... That said I want to design a system that auto drives itself and intercommunicates with the other cars, when the driver dozes off or takes his hand off the steering wheel. Have the concept but unfortunately no funds or infrastructure to do that. Hope one day i can do something like that

Regards,
Adil Jamal
Old 18th November 2011, 17:01   #276
BHPian

@Swarnav We share a common dream man, I want to open something like that too. I'd like to open a place which will offer peace of mind to car owners that they get what they are paying for all under one place and for reasonable prices too ( I own three Tata vehicles so peace of mind wasnt a part of the deal during purchase).Just two things are holding me back from doing this 1.Space required for this will have to be really big and 2.The back office logistics and administration that will be involved in such a project is scary. But nevertheless will start one by one soon.

O.T. Swarnav you forgot one thing in your list, Performance parts and tuning.
Old 18th November 2011, 19:29   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
@Swarnav We share a common dream man, I want to open something like that too. I'd like to open a place which will offer peace of mind to car owners that they get what they are paying for all under one place and for reasonable prices too ( I own three Tata vehicles so peace of mind wasnt a part of the deal during purchase).Just two things are holding me back from doing this 1.Space required for this will have to be really big and 2.The back office logistics and administration that will be involved in such a project is scary. But nevertheless will start one by one soon.

O.T. Swarnav you forgot one thing in your list, Performance parts and tuning.
That completes the points left out in my post. Agreed, the space would need to be really really huge! And yeah, the logistics and administrations would be a major concern too. But once something like this is really established, it would be an instant runaway success in a place like Goa. Agree with you man!

BTW.. 3 TATA vehicles? I thought you were selling off your safari?

PS. Nice signature.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 18th November 2011 at 19:37.
Old 10th June 2012, 23:39   #278
BHPian

How does one get into the sales department of any car company? What are the qualifications required and what is the pay package? And how does one go about applying for a job in a dealership's sales dept (Especially a fresher)? Through the dealer's website?
Old 10th June 2012, 23:59   #279
BHPian

Guys, I am one of the lucky ones to be a part of the industry, though not in India. I am pursuing my MBA in Vancouver, Canada. Instead of working as a research assistant or at McDonald's, I am working at a Volkswagen dealership selling cars part time to cover living. Good money, loads of fun. Post masters. planning to join VW Canada. Hoping for the best!
Old 11th June 2012, 00:57   #280
Senior - BHPian

I have always dreamt of joining any car manufacturer plant (especially maruti suzuki or hyundai) as a production engineer and hence took automobile and instrumentation engineering just to follow my dream. Am in the third year of my course and hoping that my passion turns out as my occupation too.
Old 11th June 2012, 08:47   #281

I was wondering the same thing as well, but not with a particular dealership in mind. I couldn't find much information on how to contact the company's India HQ to join their sales& marketing team. Does anyone have an idea on how to get in touch with the required authority from the company?
Old 11th June 2012, 14:34   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I have ALWAYS wanted to venture in a premium car dealership and hopefully one day it will be possible. One that boasts of the HIGHEST quality service - a level that has previously been unseen in India. One that gets more customers through word of mouth than silly advertisements. Simply put, an organisation that is built around the clientelle.

Whats yours?

GTO
I too wanted to run a car dealership too with service being the focal point! However looking at the way govt is playing spoilt sport & giving the automobile industry a bad time, on forethought may be its better i didnt jump into it.

So GTO, what happened to your plans?
Old 11th June 2012, 20:00   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
How does one get into the sales department of any car company? What are the qualifications required and what is the pay package? And how does one go about applying for a job in a dealership's sales dept (Especially a fresher)? Through the dealer's website?
I can help you here. You may look out for advertisements in the newspaper or just drop your CV at any dealership but make sure you give it to the HR out there and not the receptionist or you may send your application to the HR's e-mail id which you can get from the receptionists at the car dealerships.

Your basic qualification required is graduation in any stream with no minimum percentage. If you can speak English and Hindi fluently and are passionate about cars most dealerships will lap you up even if you are a fresher. Don't expect a high basic salary as a sales consultant, however, you may make handsome incentives depending on your performance.

All the best for your career.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 16:42   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know that there are a lucky few amongst us (Psycho, Arush, Dom, Turbo India etc.) who are working in the industry of their choice which is not only their passion, but also their bread and butter.

What about the rest of us? Ever wanted to build a career within cars? Are the plans still on or discarded? What company?
Hello GTO,

I have always found automotive journalism fascinating. You are at the forefront of every major development in automobiles. You get to test and review everything from commercial vehicles to exotics. It's a dream job....
And so my question ---
1. How does one go about becoming an automotive journalist?
2. What qualifications are required?
3. Is it worth it financially? (this is a necessary question if you have bills / EMIs to pay and mouths to feed)

For the sake of this thread, my dream careers in the auto world:
1. Ride for Honda in the Moto GP
2. Become a professional automotive journalist
3. Have my own garage.
Old 16th September 2012, 08:23   #285
BHPian

It hurts to see so many passionate people being forced to work in other industries while the ones who did get the chance are quite oblivious to the fact. All the major manufacturers are crying out loud for the want of good talent. Attend any automotive related expos and conferences, the event wont end without a mention of this fact.

I was one amongst the numerous people who had almost missed the bus, but thanks to my amazing family I finally made it into the industry, four years after graduating in mechanical engineering. I tried a BPO, an IT firm, even an MS in automotive eng. from a university in detroit. None of these worked for me and I joined an M.tech course from ARAI academy which landed me in my dream job.

I have already described my story in much more detail in my introduction thread, but what I really want to say is that there is no point in cribbing and working in a job you dont feel a thing for. This applies not just to the software industry but even the automotive industry, you would be surprised to know how many of my classmates in M.tech and colleagues at the workplace feel the same way about their jobs. If only they could swap places with bhpians.

The future of the automotive industry in India is in serious trouble if this continues. I say this because, one passionate guy is worth ten people working just for the money in any job. If you have the interest the knowledge will automatically follow. I was surprised to see that some hitech discussions on this forum were done amongst bhpians from the IT industry. I know of some qualified automotive engineers who would not be able to make the head or tail of it.

I understand that some of you have had situations in life which forced you to move away from the industry, but it is better late than never. I have seen a real life example of my classmate from M.tech, who survived the IT industry for 4 years and finally quit all that to join this course. Guess what, he is now working at the powertrain department of ARAI, trust me it cant get any better than that.

As spiderman says, with great power comes great responsibility. It is upto all you people who have the passion to force yourself into the industry if you want the quality of our products to improve. I seriously dont find the point of sitting on the sidelines and cribbing to someone who is least bothered about anything we have to say. The industry needs you, the country needs you.

Let bhpians from the industry take the initiative to start a movement to let all this passion come into the industry. I am in, are you?
DReddy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed