Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2012, 16:16   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ever contemplated an Automotive career?

Off-late, I have been bitten by the bug too! My BIL is an automobile engineer & currently a service branch manager with a Japanese car brand! He also has a cleaning cum polishing centre in the Middle East. We keep discussing about cars and he wants to expand his business to accessories as well. I have plans to go to the country & if successful, I want to invest into the accessories bit.

He wanted to come back to India and settle down and start a service centre too. But not yet finalized. I was also thinking that I would have loved to start a FIAT A$$ just to cater to the passionate ones! But the scare always has been where can I find the BEST of the FIAT technicians. Not sure I can find the answer, let's see if any of this materializes.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 16:48   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
Off-late, I have been bitten by the bug too! My BIL is an automobile engineer & currently a service branch manager with a Japanese car brand! He also has a cleaning cum polishing centre in the Middle East. We keep discussing about cars and he wants to expand his business to accessories as well. I have plans to go to the country & if successful, I want to invest into the accessories bit.

He wanted to come back to India and settle down and start a service centre too. But not yet finalized. I was also thinking that I would have loved to start a FIAT A$$ just to cater to the passionate ones! But the scare always has been where can I find the BEST of the FIAT technicians. Not sure I can find the answer, let's see if any of this materializes.
Great initiative sir, you seem to have worked out a plan already. Just out of curiosity, what is your profession currently?
Old 17th September 2012, 10:22   #288
BHPian

Always wanted to enter into an automobile career , but as things have it , the dream never worked out and I ended up doing law(Right now in 3rd year) .

However , the dream is still alive . I, of the late got in touch with an Attorney for Porsche !!
Lets hope if not designing and developing, I can at-least represent some of them .
Old 17th September 2012, 15:38   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReddy View Post
Great initiative sir, you seem to have worked out a plan already. Just out of curiosity, what is your profession currently?
I am a software engineer by profession! But I seem to love cars more than codes! Well, plans are always there, the difficult part is funding!
Old 17th September 2012, 15:45   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

I am a software engineer by profession! But I seem to love cars more than codes! Well, plans are always there, the difficult part is funding!
Its never easy, I agree. You have have given it a thought, I ll say that its one step in the right direction. Wish you all the very best.
DReddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 16:22   #291
BHPian

I have a suggestion for the moderators. Can we have a section dedicated to various job openings in the industry? Just like the classifieds section, it could become a portal for employers and job seekers to get in touch. Since only bhpians are allowed to post, we can be sure that only the very best respond to them.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:13   #292
BHPian

Guys, I am some 8.5 yrs into my career in Banking (treasury to be specific) but I really wish sometimes to pursue my passion as my career.

I now think about why did I do computer engineering? Automobile engineering or even mechanical would have been ideal. Even if I would have done my MBA after that, my technical ability with respect to automobiles would have been much better. I really hadn't realized my love for automobiles then else I would certainly have done so. Now I really want to do some course or training etc. relating to automobile engineering, so that some time later I can pursue a career in automobiles and be technically proficient to do so. Currently I am doing so to attain knowledge, which is my first goal.

Any suggestions on the same? I know one can do automobile engineering, but I am sure I won't be able dedicate so much time into a full fledged engineering course. Would be glad if someone could help.

P.S. - I searched online but not much help, maybe I am searching the wrong way.
Old 18th February 2013, 16:00   #293
tez
BHPian

Quote:
It hurts to see so many passionate people being forced to work in other industries while the ones who did get the chance are quite oblivious to the fact. All the major manufacturers are crying out loud for the want of good talent. Attend any automotive related expos and conferences, the event wont end without a mention of this fact.

I was one amongst the numerous people who had almost missed the bus, but thanks to my amazing family I finally made it into the industry, four years after graduating in mechanical engineering. I tried a BPO, an IT firm, even an MS in automotive eng. from a university in detroit. None of these worked for me and I joined an M.tech course from ARAI academy which landed me in my dream job.

I have already described my story in much more detail in my introduction thread, but what I really want to say is that there is no point in cribbing and working in a job you dont feel a thing for. This applies not just to the software industry but even the automotive industry, you would be surprised to know how many of my classmates in M.tech and colleagues at the workplace feel the same way about their jobs. If only they could swap places with bhpians.

The future of the automotive industry in India is in serious trouble if this continues. I say this because, one passionate guy is worth ten people working just for the money in any job. If you have the interest the knowledge will automatically follow. I was surprised to see that some hitech discussions on this forum were done amongst bhpians from the IT industry. I know of some qualified automotive engineers who would not be able to make the head or tail of it.

I understand that some of you have had situations in life which forced you to move away from the industry, but it is better late than never. I have seen a real life example of my classmate from M.tech, who survived the IT industry for 4 years and finally quit all that to join this course. Guess what, he is now working at the powertrain department of ARAI, trust me it cant get any better than that.

As spiderman says, with great power comes great responsibility. It is upto all you people who have the passion to force yourself into the industry if you want the quality of our products to improve. I seriously dont find the point of sitting on the sidelines and cribbing to someone who is least bothered about anything we have to say. The industry needs you, the country needs you.

Let bhpians from the industry take the initiative to start a movement to let all this passion come into the industry. I am in, are you?
how do you get that course from ARAI? Can you share more details.
Old 18th February 2013, 16:14   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
how do you get that course from ARAI? Can you share more details.
Tez, this is the course:

http://www.vit.ac.in/SMBS/mtech_auto.asp
https://www.araiindia.com/services_e...lore_india.asp

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by voodoochild : 18th February 2013 at 16:17.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 16:58   #295
BHPian

Moderator's note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
ARAI now has technical collaborations with College of engineering pune(COEP) and VELTECH university too. You might want to check those too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Guys, I am some 8.5 yrs into my career in Banking (treasury to be specific) but I really wish sometimes to pursue my passion as my career.

I now think about why did I do computer engineering? Automobile engineering or even mechanical would have been ideal. Even if I would have done my MBA after that, my technical ability with respect to automobiles would have been much better. I really hadn't realized my love for automobiles then else I would certainly have done so. Now I really want to do some course or training etc. relating to automobile engineering, so that some time later I can pursue a career in automobiles and be technically proficient to do so. Currently I am doing so to attain knowledge, which is my first goal.

Any suggestions on the same? I know one can do automobile engineering, but I am sure I won't be able dedicate so much time into a full fledged engineering course. Would be glad if someone could help.

P.S. - I searched online but not much help, maybe I am searching the wrong way.
Hi shreyas,

You would be surprised to know how computer science engineers are working their magic in the automotive world.
The best example for anyone in your situation would be kartik reddy from race dynamics in bangalore. He is also a bhpian ( the handle is something like RD_ kartik).
Some threads in which he has participated have become benchmarks for technical discussions, drawing praise from the likes of GTO.
You might want to look at automotive electronics as a possible direction. People say its not real engineering but trust me the automotive world has moved on in a big way.
I am typing this message sitting in a truck while my colleagues have their laptop plugged into the OBD since the vehicle is refusing to start. Turns out that there is some problem in the ECUs dataset.
ARAI is offering an M.tech in automotive electronics in collaboration with VELTECH university. Last year Maruti came to ARAI specifically to pick up people from this stream.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th February 2013 at 17:43. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
DReddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 09:15   #296
BHPian

Quote:
The best example for anyone in your situation would be kartik reddy from race dynamics in bangalore. He is also a bhpian ( the handle is something like RD_ kartik).

People say its not real engineering but trust me the automotive world has moved on in a big way.

ARAI is offering an M.tech in automotive electronics in collaboration with VELTECH university. Last year Maruti came to ARAI specifically to pick up people from this stream.
Thanks DReddy! I will check this out. Cannot afford a fulltime course as my current job is more than full time. So I am mainly looking at some sort of corresspondance course or something that can be attended on weekends. Let me get more details on the ARAi thing and also take help of fellow bhpians in this field like you mentioned kartik.

Thanks again!
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 09:40   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Moderator's note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks.

ARAI now has technical collaborations with College of engineering pune(COEP) and VELTECH university too. You might want to check those too.

Hi shreyas,

You would be surprised to know how computer science engineers are working their magic in the automotive world.
Some threads in which he has participated have become benchmarks for technical discussions, drawing praise from the likes of GTO.
You might want to look at automotive electronics as a possible direction. People say its not real engineering but trust me the automotive world has moved on in a big way.
I am typing this message sitting in a truck while my colleagues have their laptop plugged into the OBD since the vehicle is refusing to start. Turns out that there is some problem in the ECUs dataset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post

Thanks DReddy! I will check this out. Cannot afford a fulltime course as my current job is more than full time. So I am mainly looking at some sort of corresspondance course or something that can be attended on weekends. Let me get more details on the ARAi thing and also take help of fellow bhpians in this field like you mentioned kartik.

Thanks again!
Hello Dreddy/ Shreyas Artekar,

I myself am a software engineer with a full time job and would love to enroll for a correspondence/ week end course. Please do share details if you come across any, in regards to this and I shall do the same . Thank you.

-Shivang Gandotra
Old 24th February 2013, 11:21   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post

I myself am a software engineer with a full time job and would love to enroll for a correspondence/ week end course. Please do share details if you come across any, in regards to this and I shall do the same . Thank you.

-Shivang Gandotra
Hi shivang,

ARAI academy conducts Proficiency improvement programmes on specialized topics for students and industry professionals. I just enquired from the officials that having a relevant degree is not a criteria and anyone who is intersted can attend.

https://www.araiindia.com/news.aspx?catg=Events

Here s a link to the website with some upcoming programmes. You can contact the head of the academy and deputy director Dr. K.C Vora for more details at -
vora.pga@araiindia.com

Last edited by DReddy : 24th February 2013 at 11:25.
DReddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 13:30   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post

-Shivang Gandotra
Hi Shivang,

For starters I have purchased this book "Automotive Mechanics 10 Edition(Paperback) - William H crouse & Donald L Anglin" from flipkart. The link for the same is http://www.flipkart.com/automotive-m...ive%20mechanic

There is another book that you can get on flipkart which is by an Indian author, thought that is also decent, costs almost same.

The objective is to read the theory and see if someone (mechanic, A**) can help in practicals
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 22:48   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Currently pursuing Engineering in Electronics and communication. Why I chose this is because I didn't have a better choice. Being a hardcore petrolhead from when I was a kid, my goal always was/is to work in the same field. Research and development would be the best place I could be in.

It would be of great help if anyone here can give some suggestions on what my next course of action must be. I went through the ARAI link. Though I made up my mind and was happy that something like this existed, sadly ECE engineers don't fall in the eligibility list. Any other institute or lead? The last thing I would want to do is join the IT industry(not that it is bad, but I prefer working on what I am passionate about. Helps keep my energy levels up as well as improving quality of work)
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks