Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 16:58   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: India bound 2011/12 Honda Civic ? EDIT : Clean pictures on pg. 19

Completely agree Sidindica ! It looks better than expected , except for the rear end treatment. The tail-lamp design looks similar to Kizashi's ! I don't like the Coupe though
Old 12th January 2011, 17:22   #152
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The front looks way too much like the outgoing generation. Not a negative in my opinion, I guess even Honda couldn't outdo the futuristic styling of the 8th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
This is purely to esures effective cost control in production, spares etc.At the same time such platforms help to take out new enhanced products faster to the market.
Wrong. Sharing platforms across different cars (e.g. Passat & Superb) and maintaining a family look is COMPLETELY different. This has nothing to do with cost.

Quote:
VW lines starting with Polo (2010) through to 2012 Passat carry similar design elements and vary by the factors as mentioned.
I can assure you that the Polo's platform and that of the Passat have little in common. Again, it's the manufacturers attempt to maintain a family look across segments....a branding exercise.
Old 12th January 2011, 19:17   #153
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if there are going to be different versions for US and Asia like we have on the 8th.

Has the size of the car changed? Any engine specs?
Old 12th January 2011, 19:31   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I wonder if there are going to be different versions for US and Asia like we have on the 8th.

Has the size of the car changed? Any engine specs?
I'm almost sure that there will be a US spec and JDM Civic. Generally, the JDM looks better and is better kit when compared to the US spec Civic. Thank God for that. Oh and the Civic coupe in the pictures, I reckon, will be found only in the US market.

And I would like to believe that the engine won't be very different from the current 8th gen Civic's. They have to slot it (especially in the south-east Asian and Indian markets) between the City and the Accord. So expect a range of engines from 1.6 to 2.0 including a 2.2 diesel. However, expect India to get the same 1.8 lump. And if we're lucky and if Honda gets a little whack on the head, hopefully, we might get to see the 2.2 diesel.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th January 2011 at 19:32.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:02   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm almost sure that there will be a US spec and JDM Civic. Generally, the JDM looks better and is better kit when compared to the US spec Civic. Thank God for that. Oh and the Civic coupe in the pictures, I reckon, will be found only in the US market.

And I would like to believe that the engine won't be very different from the current 8th gen Civic's. They have to slot it (especially in the south-east Asian and Indian markets) between the City and the Accord. So expect a range of engines from 1.6 to 2.0 including a 2.2 diesel. However, expect India to get the same 1.8 lump. And if we're lucky and if Honda gets a little whack on the head, hopefully, we might get to see the 2.2 diesel.
Wasn't there a news some months back about discontinuing the Civic in Japanese Domestic Market (JDM)? Does that mean, there will be only one variant? If that's true, we (and the rest of the world) will be getting the US (universal) variant.

Personally, every side is evolutionary except the rear.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:26   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The 7th gen was considered inferior to the previous one and shunned by enthusiasts.
Cant agree more. I owned the 6th gen Civic in the US for 2+ years and the 7th gen Civic was nowhere close to it in terms of appeal. Not sure of the performance though.
Old 12th January 2011, 22:08   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
. I am not convinced that these are the final designs...maybe they are camouflaged to fool people (i really hope so); else it will be a big let down!
It is time to buy that civic early now, these new ones are certainly going to be a let down for enthusiasts, of course they will sell because it is an Honda. I think the grill and the rear bear quite a close resemblance to the ANHC.
Old 12th January 2011, 23:29   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Wasn't there a news some months back about discontinuing the Civic in Japanese Domestic Market (JDM)? Does that mean, there will be only one variant? If that's true, we (and the rest of the world) will be getting the US (universal) variant.

Personally, every side is evolutionary except the rear.
From what I've heard, the present 8th gen JDM Civic will be discontinued and replaced by the 9th gen JDM. Although, I'm not too sure about it. I could be wrong. Let's hope there will be a JDM Civic because I've heard that the US spec Civic is a boring old hag without enough kit.
Old 13th January 2011, 00:06   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
From what I've heard, the present 8th gen JDM Civic will be discontinued and replaced by the 9th gen JDM. Although, I'm not too sure about it. I could be wrong. Let's hope there will be a JDM Civic because I've heard that the US spec Civic is a boring old hag without enough kit.
There is a JDM/Asia spec Civic for sure. Have a look at the images of the car caught testing by Cars Middle East (on this thread) and you will see that the car has a different grill (similar to the slatted grill found on the city) and not the mesh type grill seen here. Also, the rear end seems slightly different with a lip above the numberplate and the honda badging housed in that. For me, the US Spec looks a lot better.
Old 13th January 2011, 20:50   #160
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Cant agree more. I owned the 6th gen Civic in the US for 2+ years and the 7th gen Civic was nowhere close to it in terms of appeal. Not sure of the performance though.
If I remember correctly the US 7th gen Civic came in 1.5L, 1.7L and a higher cubic capacity engine. I have test driven the 1.7L in US. Not bad by most standards. It was the package that was bland. It felt like an appliance, like a Hyundai vehicle. Nothing wrong, functions perfectly but low on character.

Hope the new Civic gets a great engine. Then it will be an exciting package.
Old 15th January 2011, 01:09   #161
Senior - BHPian

both the sedan and coupe are a good carry over from the previous design. im glad i sold off my 4 year and 200,000kms old civic and its time to pick up the new one.

im lovin it!

TD the european Type R which is a 2 door coupe, is not practical for me and my family, but is a fun car to have!
Old 16th January 2011, 13:16   #162
BHPian

Seems like part of a trend to come up with designs that seem familiar and aren't a departure from the past. A similar story was there in the BMW 5 series, the design of which seems to emulate that of the 3 even though the 3 itself is fairly long in the tooth. Now this just appears to be a bigger City. Not sure city owners would want to graduate to the civic once it's time for them to upgrade - it's just not different enough.
Old 16th January 2011, 15:18   #163
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 16th January 2011 at 20:05. Reason: See note.
harimakesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th January 2011, 23:53   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
And the rear is a let down.
Was poring over the snaps again. The bumper/skirts at the rear - don't they look Hyundai-ish? I mean, the lines/curves ... maybe I'm biased !
Old 17th January 2011, 10:33   #165

Do we have any estimates of the potential launch dates for this? Any expectations on price? Not trying to diverge, but Honda has lost some market share due to its inflated price tag, is there any possibility of newer models being priced a little lower?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks