Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 10:37   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: India bound 2011/12 Honda Civic ? EDIT : Clean pictures on pg. 19

The sedan looks good, but with the body-kit which the car in the scoop snaps does not. Honda will probably sell the body-kit as part of Elegance/Aspire upgrades ! And the rear is a let down.

I like the stance though. And wonderful lines. Pity that it will probably end up with smaller tyres here.

Hope they drop a potent engine into it. Any engine specs revealed?
Old 11th January 2011, 10:45   #137
Senior - BHPian

Not very impressed with it.
& about the bodykit/s offered with the elegance/inspire trims, the car will look even more hideous if they give puny 15inch alloys to go along with those kits.
Perfect example of that being the current Accord 2.4 Inspire. That thing looks incredibly ugly IMO, with those 16s on that elephantine car with an even heavier looking kit !
The current accord in the inspire trim looks like a perfect American sedan. Huge and bulky! It very well justifies the tag - "Made in America for America"
Anyways coming back to the point, for this upcoming civic to look any good above the standard trim, they need to offer a subtle kit in elegance trim if they wish to give something eye-catching (in a good or bad way) on the inspire, and beautiful 16 inch alloys to compliment it. A longer list of realistic features and they could well be on their way to regain lost ground.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 11th January 2011 at 10:48.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:18   #138
Team-BHP Support

Well, it isn't bad. I would expect a slightly different front and rear end. We in India get the JDM Civic as opposed to the US spec Civic. Love those wheels, but fat chance they would make it to production, let alone our market!

The Civic coupe seems to have several design over-tones from the Hyundai Triburon/Tuscani/Coupe, especially when you look at the green-house. So the Civic Coupe's appearance is nothing to write home about, but it isn't bad either.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:46   #139
Senior - BHPian

I personally prefer the current gen Civic to this. When the 8th gen Civic was launched, it created waves amidst the auto enthusiasts and had character in its presence. However, the new version cannot boast of the same. To me, it looks like a mix and match of different cars put together. Also, from the looks of it, the boot space seems to have taken a further beating with the current Civic already having a small boot.

Having said the above, I would be interested in knowing what the engine specs look like.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:50   #140
BHPian

Looks great.. like a bigger City.
from the pics, seems like the passenger cabin of the sedan looks smaller than the drivers cabin..evident from the size of front and back doors!
Old 11th January 2011, 15:23   #141
BHPian

It really looks much better than the spyshots we had seen earlier. The current gen Civic was too futuristic in terms of design and topping that would be a tough job, but none the less the 2012 version of the Civic sedan does look good in its own grown up way. But, the Si model lacks the aggressive stance of the outgoing model and looks a bit like a smaller version of the Accord coupe.

Last edited by harishnair : 11th January 2011 at 15:28.
Old 11th January 2011, 19:06   #142
vcx
BHPian

From these pictures , I think this actually looks good, one of the other picture ( AUTOCAR) from rear appeal the lights aren't great( looks like old camary kinds), since this a concept I am sure that Honda will gather good suggestions and revisit some possible changes for the final model that would hit the road!

On the other note feel the overall length has be condensed? boot looks be jsut a small edge around?

Alloys look good, found something similar for ANHC too from Honda dealers.
Old 12th January 2011, 10:01   #143
BHPian

Civic 2012 gets showcased in Detroit Motor Show [Jan 10-23 2011]
World Debut of Civic Concept at North American International Auto Show : Home

Official Site:
The 2012 Honda Civic - Official Site
Old 12th January 2011, 10:37   #144
BHPian

Its looks like a more proportionate and bigger City. for the looks from my side too and I don't care much about the coupe since its probability of coming here is next to none. Wonder what the engine options are though.
Old 12th January 2011, 11:13   #145
BHPian

Not so sure the design is good in the india context. It looks alot like the honda city from the front. i wonder whether many will put in the extra 3-4 lakhs for something that looks this similar.

Maybe such "bigger version of the same sausage" philosophy of cars is better in western countries where these cars are anyway looked upon as budget and entry level cars
Old 12th January 2011, 11:31   #146
vcx
BHPian

Off late if one observes many OEM are trying to have same design platforms and have them across segments in varied dimensions, engines and features.

This is purely to esures effective cost control in production, spares etc.At the same time such platforms help to take out new enhanced products faster to the market.

VW lines starting with Polo (2010) through to 2012 Passat carry similar design elements and vary by the factors as mentioned.

Same is seen with Etios, GM,and may be Honda now bringing up new Civic as bigger City kinds!
Old 12th January 2011, 11:48   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Not so sure the design is good in the india context. It looks alot like the honda city from the front. i wonder whether many will put in the extra 3-4 lakhs for something that looks this similar.

The Next Gen Civic design takes sometime to grow on you. Agreed most of them would call it a slightly bigger ANHC . But as already mentioned the Next Gen Jetta and even Vento looks slightly similar to Polo from front.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:59   #148
BHPian

I for one actually like the new look. from me.

The front actually looks a bit or say a lot like KIA Forte. Which itself is a good looking car.
Old 12th January 2011, 16:14   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Hi Vivek, id still wait for the new civic. It may not be as revolutionary as the old civic, but it will certainly be newer and upgraded. The music system is similar to the honda city, which reads ipod data and isnt just a basic aux in. The info displays will be newer. The current civic will lose value very fast in the used car market.
The current Civic reads iPods/iPhones. I think they "fixed" this in the 2009 facelift. Backward compatibility is a bit of a problem (my 4th gen. black-and-white iPod won't work) though.

I don't think the rate of depreciation of the 8th gen. Civic will get much worse if what we see in this thread is what we'll get. It looks very uninspiring, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
from the pics, seems like the passenger cabin of the sedan looks smaller than the drivers cabin..evident from the size of front and back doors!
You can make that out even in the current Civic. If you measure the length of the "straight" at the base of the door, the rear door appears puny in comparison to the front. I don't see this difference being even more exaggerated in the 9th gen.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 12th January 2011 at 16:17.
Old 12th January 2011, 16:52   #150
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I personally prefer the current gen Civic to this. When the 8th gen Civic was launched, it created waves amidst the auto enthusiasts and had character in its presence. However, the new version cannot boast of the same. To me, it looks like a mix and match of different cars put together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Its looks like a more proportionate and bigger City. for the looks from my side too and I don't care much about the coupe since its probability of coming here is next to none. Wonder what the engine options are though.
Totally agree, rr_zen and v.anand. The front looks like a modified City and overall looks like a facelifted 8th gen Civic.

This makes the current Civic an instant classic!

Looks like history is repeating itself at Honda. The 7th gen was considered inferior to the previous one and shunned by enthusiasts. Unless the 9th gen gets a whooper of an engine, this may go in the same direction.

Most Viewed