Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 23:48   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: India bound 2011/12 Honda Civic ? EDIT : Clean pictures on pg. 19

After taking one giant leap forward with the 8th gen, the 9th is actually toning it down. I see a lot of Honda Insight in that front end. My only hope is that the ASEAN version will have more flair like it did on the 8th. Si gets the 2.4 from the TSX.

Also note there is zero progress in engine technology. No direct injection, no valvematic etc.

So far I have not seen any data on dimensions...has it shrunk in size?
Old 21st February 2011, 13:11   #227
BHPian

May a bit OT but I see that the next gen Accord has ANHC like front looks. Some pics I took in China:India bound 2011/12 Honda Civic ? EDIT : Clean pictures on pg. 19-xin_yu-097.jpg

India bound 2011/12 Honda Civic ? EDIT : Clean pictures on pg. 19-xin_yu-098.jpg

New and old side by side. You may want to excuse me for poor image quality

India bound 2011/12 Honda Civic ? EDIT : Clean pictures on pg. 19-hz-435.jpg
Old 21st February 2011, 14:03   #228
Senior - BHPian

Buddy thats the current gen Accord with the Inspire Kit. Its also available in India. The next gen Accord hasnt been spied as yet and its probably expected in 2013.
Old 21st February 2011, 15:39   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also note there is zero progress in engine technology. No direct injection, no valvematic etc.
Actually, that is very frustrating for a Honda fan. The two prime reasons to buy Honda are:

1. Flamboyant designs.
2. Petrol engine smoothness and technology.

What's the deal with i-VTEC. Its hung around for a long time and each manufacturer has it. Even Hyundai has gone direct injection with GDI and about to introduce Turbocharging to mass models (they have it in some of their top end models even now). And all this in Petrol, which is 'practically' the only fuel type for which Honda competes.

what the hell! whats is the USP of new CIVIC? I am struggling to find one. Please, let nobody suggest 'reliability', even M800 is supremely reliable.

I am a somewhat of a Euro supporter. The only Jap brand I like is Honda. They are trying their level best (along with Hyundai's constant innovation and rapid technology growth rate)to antagonize me.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st February 2011 at 15:41.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:03   #230
BHPian

[quote=Abhi_Automobile;2252545]

1. Flamboyant designs.
2. Petrol engine smoothness and technology.

What's the deal with i-VTEC. Its hung around for a long time and each manufacturer has it.

I have to agree with you on this. I have been a euro fan and the only car excited me from Jap/Korean stables is the Honda. I have tentatively decided on the Vento as my next car (the waiting period put me off), parallel to this I have been following the new Civic as well. However what is the USP of Honda now? It is frustrating to see that there is no change in engine technology when smaller manufacturers offer better technology at a cheaper price.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:32   #231
Team-BHP Support

As i wrote somewhere else. it should be called a Honda Altis. The improvement gap between generations is like the Corolla and the Altis
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:24   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to agree with you on this. I have been a euro fan and the only car excited me from Jap/Korean stables is the Honda. I have tentatively decided on the Vento as my next car (the waiting period put me off), parallel to this I have been following the new Civic as well. However what is the USP of Honda now? It is frustrating to see that there is no change in engine technology when smaller manufacturers offer better technology at a cheaper price.
I had a sense of deja-vu reading this. I also considered Vento my next car. Till now that is-->Its and great car and satisfies all my needs down to the T but for one: Flamboyance/Plushness/feel good. I am firm on my view that if it has to be Honda, it has to be a pre owned CIVIC now. The new one is too old/too costly for what it gives and its petrol.

BTW, I have decided to wait for the new Jetta to see if its interiors have any oomph factor (quality wise- else all VW are straightforward). After looking at this, I have completely dropped the idea of buying anew CIVIC.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:58   #233
Senior - BHPian

Not entirely OT, this article is a good read!

The Nikkei To Japanese Carmakers: Learn From Korea And Germany, Or Die | The Truth About Cars
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:33   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Nikkei To Japanese Carmakers: Learn From Korea And Germany, Or Die | The Truth About Cars
Whoa! Those are strong words from the 'diplomatic speaking' country. I have been saying for some time now that makes like Honda/Toyota should try to re-visit their strategies. The one quick option for them is to strive to be 'more advanced' than most manufacturers.

Forget VAG and Daimler groups, who are technical marvels, they need to beat the rest. Go back to what Japan used to stand for : TECHNOLOGY.

A direct comment at Honda,my fav Jap brand: Go direct injection, turbocharged for petrols. Manufacture diesels. Make portfolio more diverse.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 22nd February 2011 at 17:34.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:46   #235
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Seriously toned down the "wow" factor of the current Civic. But hey, if the new Civic:

- Has better low end torque
- A firmer, more balanced rear suspension
- Solid equipment

it's got a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Are they going to sell this for a cheaper price? Looks very sleek and should have cost them cheap.
There is no difference in cost between a good looking car and a bad looking one. Unless of course, you are talking flat panels (like the Logan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
After taking one giant leap forward with the 8th gen, the 9th is actually toning it down.
So true. The 5th gen is an iconic car even today; can't say that about the Toyota-like bland 7th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
What's the deal with i-VTEC. Its hung around for a long time and each manufacturer has it.
No turbos, no direct injection and still NO DIESEL

Honda's innovations ran out in the mid-90s. The next wave of Japanese innovations will be in alternative fuels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
As i wrote somewhere else. it should be called a Honda Altis.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:38   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Seriously toned down the "wow" factor of the current Civic. But hey, if the new Civic:

- Has better low end torque
- A firmer, more balanced rear suspension
- Solid equipment

it's got a case.
No turbos, no direct injection and still NO DIESEL
Totally agree. Honda must read your post. Honda cars has always been great. A serious improvement of the above 3 points can be really great. But then again, Honda's Product management team is expert in simplicity and will go for what Mass Janta wants (better ride). Moreover, looking at history of Honda cars - Equipment list is not the strong point of Honda (in India).

Isn't it that low end torque would result in lower FE (sorry if im totally wrong here).?

I just hope the Civic upgrade is not just for a heck of it and it brings more value to the car.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:39   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda's innovations ran out in the mid-90s. The next wave of Japanese innovations will be in alternative fuels.
Agreed. But I am yet to be convinced about the impact of Hybrids. Some of the diesels actually give better mileage than hybrids. So, what's the point of such complex technology? Yes, it will sell in the US, since US is a 'petrol only' market. But, what about the global strategy? Fuel cells is still a few years away. The immediate breakthrough could be electric cars (making it viable mass production business model). Plus, the Euros have caught up in Hybrid tech too. Plus, they are making diesel- hybrids, which is such a great concept.

The bottom line is, what is Honda's USP?? And I haven't even started talking model specific. It can't be reliability (how is Hyundai any less reliable?), just as 'Safety' can no longer be a USP of Volvo (coz every other car is equally safe).

Honda will be the worst affected, since Toyota has at least a wide portfolio and decent diesel engines.

Result? Either I buy a pre owned CIVIC or I don't buy a Honda at all.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 24th February 2011 at 11:42.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:55   #238
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
As i wrote somewhere else. it should be called a Honda Altis.
Loved the ultra dry Brit humor comment.

Quote:
Seriously toned down the "wow" factor of the current Civic.
With the risk of off-topic-ing I will go ahead to describe my first reaction when I saw the 8th gen for the first time on road in 2006. It was on Marathahalli bridge, Bangalore. A Silver or grey Civic (my memory cheats me here) came from opposite side and passed by. I was stuck on the bridge due to traffic, a perfectly usual thing during those days. I almost jumped out the seats when the car passed by. Gosh, what is that? Rolled down the window, popped my head out to see it go. Man, what a sight. That very evening another one stopped next to our car and we spotted the digital speedometer for the first time. My first question was, is that a speedometer? A digital one? Drool, drool.

I am confident that the new car will turn out to be a decent offering. Unfortunately the 9th gen suffers from a very high internal benchmark.

Quote:
Americans are not too far behind on this front. Tesla and Volt are getting rave reviews. US govt is giving subsidies to companies to develop better battery technology. Our company is one among them.
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:56   #239
Senior - BHPian

Some leaked images of the JDM/Asean Civic that we can expect in India.
Rear lights have been given the same treatment as seen on the Accord.
Lazy Honda

Honda Civic images surface before China launch in April
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:38   #240
Senior - BHPian

The current version of civic looks so good compared to this new civic. The front exactly resembles ANHC. In other words it’s like grown up ANHC only, this actually explains how fresh design ANHC possess.
Can we expect diesel variant also? When exactly is going to launching in India?

Most Viewed