Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 14:57   #31
BHPian

GM, please launch it !

A great looking hatchback ( resembling the hot SRV ) !! Would GM bring it to India? IMO, the chances are 50:50 :---
Yes, if GM decides to pitch it against the i20 with respect to features, specifications and price.
No, if GM prefers the VFM cars from the chinese stable along with its current line up.
Personally, I would like to see the car launched in India
Old 6th September 2010, 15:27   #32
BHPian

can be an interesting option, but might not sell too well..
a. can't be less than 8l ex delhi for base version, that too petrol!
b. GM cars are costlier to maintain.
c. even if they try to bring something barebones at 7l, nobody would buy that. people with anything above 5 big ones expect a little 'luxury'. look at vento base version for instance. good price point but i doubt if it' hitting more than 30-40% of total bookings?

GM would launch it here only if they get desperate about their india standing (quite shaky at the moment). One car I would like them to bring back(and not screw things up again!) is the vectra. and some serious effort needs to go into spares pricing.

Last edited by BuRnT RuBbEr : 6th September 2010 at 15:30.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:23   #33
BHPian

The car looks amazing. This would be a much better value than the sedan - provide same or more space as well as be more flexible in the type of use. People who are suggesting that "Hatchback is low-end and so will not sell in India" should look at this one: Porsche Panamera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 6th September 2010, 17:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

one word.
Wow!
Plonk in the Crdi(2.0) and Im game
though it looks rather bland from the back(im sure the dual spoiler effect of the SRV would do wonders on this )
Old 6th September 2010, 20:37   #35
BHPian

Rather than launching the hatchback, I would really love it if they launch Cruze with a 130+ BHP Petrol engine under 10 lakhs ex-showroom price.

That would hit the sweet spot and take the fight straight into Corolla.. and even damage Honda City sales..
Old 6th September 2010, 23:18   #36
BHPian

I for one always preferred hatchbacks to sedans. This one does hit the sweet spot. Wouldnt mind plonking in a million rupees if properly equipped and handles well.
Old 7th September 2010, 00:23   #37
Team-BHP Support

The Cruze hatch reminds me of the Impreza hatch, especially the side profile. But one thing's for sure, this is no Scooby!

Anyway, there was a time when hatches above 9 lakhs wouldn't get second looks. But times have changed; and this Cruze hatch might just do well if priced right. think about it! No one expected the Hyundai i20 to click the way it did! And the Jazz might not be doing well now, but some good campaigning and probably a price-cut + addition of some much needed features might change that!

Assuming that the Cruze hatch would be loaded like its sedan counterpart, it should sell at 10 lakhs, thereabouts.

The Indian market still needs to mature and accept larger hatch-backs, but this might just do the trick and perhaps start a new segment altogether. Let's not write it off immediately!
Old 7th September 2010, 01:07   #38
BHPian

This reminded me of the SRV hatchback that flopped so badly for GM in India. A Cruze hatch though could be a mouthwatering prospect, if only they spec and price it right.
I do hope this comes to India, and the hatchback's could get another gamechanger
Old 7th September 2010, 01:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Great looking car, and would be quite a package if mated with the same motor from Cruze sedan. If I were in the Chevrolet marketing team, I'd be worried the notchback eating into the sedan's market share, and would recommend a significant price difference in order to pitch for a virgin segmetn altogether.

However, this thread is loaded with expectations, illusions and misconceptions, such as one quoted below. I would highly suggest getting slightly more realistic, and factual when talking numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
The base Cruze comes at Rs 10 odd lakhs at present,
manson.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
This reminded me of the SRV hatchback that flopped so badly for GM in India. A Cruze hatch though could be a mouthwatering prospect, if only they spec and price it right.
I do hope this comes to India, and the hatchback's could get another gamechanger
It reminds me of the Logan's Hatch and also the SRV but this one has a better balanced styling especially the rear side.Pricing may be high and also the sloping roof means headroom is less .
Old 5th October 2010, 00:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures from the unveiling at the Paris Motor Show..

Source
Attached Thumbnails
New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?-01cruzehatchparis2010.jpg  

New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?-02cruzehatchparis2010.jpg  

New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?-05cruzehatchparis2010.jpg  

New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?-14cruzehatchparis2010.jpg  

New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?-16cruzehatchparis2010.jpg  

Old 5th October 2010, 00:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Looks nice to me - the notchback design may solve the low-headroom-in-rear-seat issue.
Old 5th October 2010, 04:20   #43
BHPian

I have read about people willing to pay 10+ lac for a Skoda Yeti 2WD with a 1.2 TSI. I would like to know how is that so different from a premium hatch like this one?
I think a Cruze Hatch with a 2L diesel comes for around 9 lacs, its worth the money spent. Maybe, with the economies of scale, GM might want to move the Cruze hatch+sedan production to India instead of the CKD route as present.
Old 5th October 2010, 07:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

If the cruze hatch back hits the Indian shores, there will be a lot of buyers. Offers a great value if priced under 10L.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:25   #45
Team-BHP Support

100+ BHP Hatchback wars are just starting. This wont just add fuel, but fire as well! Lot many will lap it up. With the new 100 BHP Fabia, Polo, 130BHP Hatch would be apt as the topping on the icecream.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks