Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 14:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?

General Motors previewed the new Cruze hatchback with a few pictures on the web. It will be officially unveiled at the Paris Motor Show on September 30th.

Chevrolet says it will begin selling the Cruze hatchback across Europe in mid-2011.

Since India was one of the first markets in the world to get the Cruze sedan, we might even see the hatchback coming to Indian shores by mid-2011!
If priced right, Chevy has a winner in their hands!
Attached Thumbnails
New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?-cruze1.jpg  

New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?-cruze2.jpg  

New Cruze hatchback! Will we see this in India soon?-cruze3.jpg  

theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2010, 15:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

GM's Optra hatchback the SRV didnt do very well in our market. One reason for that was the wrong pricing then. No one was willing to pay above 8 lakhs for a hatch but time has moved on and we do have the Jazz in a similar price bracket.

I like the looks of this car and if priced right , could definitely sell. But with a 2.0 diesel not sure whether GM can manage a good price tag.
Old 4th September 2010, 15:19   #3
BHPian

Isn't this look called a notchback? I always thought that a chopped off sedan is a notchback - like the Accent Viva.
Old 4th September 2010, 15:22   #4
BHPian

I don't think GM will launch this in India. Cruze hatch is a big car and the price wont be below 9Lac if launched in India, at that price range it wont find any takers. Aveo RS hatch will be the one which will be launched in India to compete against Jazz,i20 etc.
Old 4th September 2010, 15:44   #5
BHPian

I agree with harishnair.
In europe, there is a segment in which Ford focus hatch, opel astra hatch, mitsubishi lancer sportsback, Audi A3 sportsback, Toyota auris, ... exist and Curze notch will be a good competitor for them.
In India, with the SRV history, GM will rethink. But Indian citizen will also start to think the logic of such a model. Will be a great product, though, if launched here!
Old 4th September 2010, 16:02   #6
BHPian

doubt it. people who generally spend > 7L on a car here usually go for a sedan /suv. :(
Old 4th September 2010, 16:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

If GM launches this for around 10L with the 2.0 diesel, this may just click- i know i for one will be tempted.....
Old 4th September 2010, 16:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
If GM launches this for around 10L with the 2.0 diesel, this may just click- i know i for one will be tempted.....
Well said! When I looked at the SRV, I was floored. Only reason I thought it did not make it to the cut was one it
ahead of times in terms of pricing (like the Fusion).

Second I also read about it having a non-efficient gear box.
(I am not sure about this, as I never drove one).

But if you get a diesel (2L may be a bit too much, even 1.6/1,8 L would do the job) and with current day gearbox,
then we are really talking things! Way to go.
Old 4th September 2010, 21:31   #9
BHPian

One thing is- it looks AWESOME.

If its released with same 2 L engine and under 9 lakhs, there will be a market for it. If an i20 can sell in huge numbers, GM can expect a small share at least. I would certainly love to have a 2L Diesel hatch. With the weight reduction and better handling (than sedans) due to lack of rear overhangs, it would be one hell of a hatch
Old 4th September 2010, 21:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

If chevy comes out with this notchback model - they should position it very carefully.
At past good vehicles have suffered due to bad/mistaken positioning.
This vehicle fits in a somewhat niche segment - neither a hatch not a sedan.
The only recent example is accent viva.
I am impressed by the looks.

Last edited by blackasta : 4th September 2010 at 21:50.
Old 5th September 2010, 01:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

The problem with this car is at 9l with that 2.0 diesel unit it is still good value for money,but it will go above the psychological barrier of 8-9l for a "small car",which will ensure that it will not work.Indian consumer is still not that matured,for such a car.

Last edited by avishar : 5th September 2010 at 01:25.
Old 5th September 2010, 02:08   #12
BHPian

The car looks hot!! but I think it would not sell well in India. Since it's based on Cruze platform, I don't think GM can reduce the price much. India being India, we would rather buy a car with a boot for 9 Lakhs than a good hatch. No wonder, we have Jetta and Octavia and no Golf yet.

I agree, we are still not mature for such a car or cars. However, auto-makers should start conditioning us to the concept. Since most of them have sedans manufactured here based on the same platform, they can build hatches as well.

Personally, If GM can some how price this <7lakhs, I don't mind trading mine for this.
Old 5th September 2010, 02:16   #13
BHPian

Highly improbable! Its a car with surely more than 4 m in length. Price shoots higher - No Sales. Now, even if it comes with a smaller engine and sub 4 m length - it would hit Cruze's image. Nevertheless, side profile is brilliant.
Old 5th September 2010, 02:41   #14
BHPian

I think chevy should get it and we can get a 150 bhp diesel and also an option of automatic with smaller size and light weight we just got india`s desirable hot hatch.Bring it on and 9l for the at sounds good.
Old 5th September 2010, 08:05   #15
BHPian

I would't mind spending 9L for this car, provided its loaded well and it handles better then Cruze.

Most Viewed