Team-BHP - Forget Amby, Camry gets read beacon
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Forget Amby, Camry gets read beacon (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/8831-forget-amby-camry-gets-read-beacon.html)

check this artice out guys....

CHANDIGARH: IT’S a silent roof-top coup they talk about in hushed tones in the power corridors of state capitals. The red beacon — that eternal symbol of authority and power — is changing places from the curved roof of the good-ol’ white Ambassador to the slippery forehead of the Toyota Camry.

Analyse this: Of the 673 Camrys sold thus far in 2005, more than a hundred has been purchased by state governments — Punjab, Haryana, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh — for its ministers.

And four more states are reported to be in the final stages of inking a purchase deal with the Japanese major. Now sample this: Even the governor in Amby’s own homeland, West Bengal, rides a Camry.

As if trying to be different, Karnataka ministers have shown a preference for Corollas over Camrys.

The trend, as many other such moves in the luxury terrain, has been pioneered by the North’s rich club of Punjab and Haryana — together these two governments have bought 32 Camrys in the past four months.

Toyota attributes this new niche to its quality. “It is basically the quality of the vehicle. We have been able to convince the governments that by purchasing our car they get the best value-for-money deal. A lot of hard work has gone behind this persuasion,” says Toyota Kirloskar Motors regional manager (North) Vikas Jain.

Of course, it helps that states like to compete with each other when it comes to government purchases for personal use.

came in the economic times.....http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1306128.cms

Quote:

Originally Posted by racing4cure

“A lot of hard work has gone behind this persuasion,” says Toyota Kirloskar Motors regional manager (North) Vikas Jain.

A lot of hard cash too ... I dont think politicians can be "persuaded" otherwise.

Is the government able to purchase under the EPCG scheme?

Its like taking money out of one's left pocket and transfering it to the right. Dosen't make sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajo
A lot of hard cash too ... I dont think politicians can be "persuaded" otherwise.

I dont think the Camry would cost the Government anywhere near what it costs the common man. It should be less than half, probably closer to 1/4th the MRP.

Plus, manufacturers sometimes forgo their margin so that they can break into the government market. Even if they dont make money on the first sale, other governments will follow suit as our politicians like to ape each other.

The state govt is making the purchase, so its like money if going from state to centre(Taxes and all).
But its height of shamelessness. Punjab is almost bankrupt with politicians talking about additional taxes and all to save the state. At times like this when you have such wasteful expenditure, you being to wonder, that do the adverts which advise you to take the bill when making a purchase make any sense. Why pay that 12.5%, for a camry?

YUP... the govt. gets all these beautys at a th same price we get these cars in the gulf....rememebr the 3 bmw 7 series for the central govt. passed by the vajpayee govt. now being used by the upa govt....who says politics doesnt pay...!

Quote:

Originally Posted by racing4cure

Of course, it helps that states like to compete with each other when it comes to government purchases for personal use.

:WTF: compete with taxpayer' money in your pocket???.. sick

hi isnt wasting 15crores+ rupees in bugying only 100+ cars only and that too for all those b grade politicians who refuse to take their big cars out.
now enough is enough shouldnt the govt decide on the number of vehicles being used
an average offficial goes for 150kms daily in a govt car where he is actually supposed to take the car only to his office and come back
silly when u think the distance from office to home would only be 10km at the max
i wish BR Ambedkar couldhave done something for the sake of fuel and amount of money being wasted
.No one would change the present condition wish the fuels last for atleast the time till i die

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinadha
i wish BR Ambedkar couldhave done something for the sake of fuel and amount of money being wasted

i wish he was not in the scene.......we wud'nt have been subjected to quotas in the first place.....
now that the govt trying to make it a law .....to have quota in private sector.....CRAP

Not too long to go for the year end. I wonder what the next tax structure is gonna look like.

I read somewhere a great question to our politicans (rhetorical of course considering the utter absence of any ethics, morals or for that matter a sense of decency in our neta-babu log!):

Now that we have invested hundreds of crores in creating the Delhi Metro (with one metro station right under the central secretariat), how many cars have we retired from the babu log's fleet? How many of them are taking the metro to office?

Of course-none. The public transport system is for whom? The public onlee! And the babu log are the new rajahs of this public-they 'obviously' aren't the public themselves! Shameful!!

Why can't these neta's buy a Indigo? Thats the best car for all our government officers.
1. It's Indian.
2. More importantly, it's cheap yet comfortable.
3. It's diesel.
4. The money saved both in buying and fuel efficiency can be used to improve infratstructure and public transit for ordinary Indians.

and If they want phoren ka maal, then why not buy Italian. After all the actual PM is originally Italian. :D But shhhh don't give this idea to our neta's or they may start importing Ferrari's and Lamborgini's!