Team-BHP - Airbags in economy cars in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Airbags in economy cars in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/88442-airbags-economy-cars-india-2.html)

What scares me most is not if the air bag will deploy in case of a crash, but what if it goes off when the car goes through a huge crater and bounces like a sponge ball. It is going to be a serious problem and could result in a major crash also.
India is also a very dust, dirt & mucj prone country. What if these have clogged the sensors and the wiring along with it. Will the cars give a signal that the Air Bag functionality has been compromised?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1977 (Post 2059639)
What scares me most is not if the air bag will deploy in case of a crash, but what if it goes off when the car goes through a huge crater and bounces like a sponge ball. It is going to be a serious problem and could result in a major crash also.
India is also a very dust, dirt & mucj prone country. What if these have clogged the sensors and the wiring along with it. Will the cars give a signal that the Air Bag functionality has been compromised?

Yes. The air bag light which glows for a few seconds while starting will keep on glowing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1977 (Post 2059639)

Air bags not just inflate, but also deflate immediately after the occupant acceleration is reduced during the crash. So no need to worry about it. But the catch here is that if the car continues in a trajectory and crashes into another barrier, post, car,etc. the air bag will not deploy again (Remember Diana - Dodi crash scenario!)

As soon as a sensor is clogged / there is a flaw, the OBD (On - Board Diagnostics) will provide the info on the dash display. Believe that there is a tell tale for the air bag check.

But the chances of the sensors getting affected is very much unlikely, as they are packaged inside the closed members of the BIW and only trained service guys could actually check them.

But the over all reliability of the system far exceeds the reliability limits of the cars themselves.

I just wanted to share a presentation which i made years back to my sub-ordinates about how airbag system works and some of the acronyms which are used in the presentation are

DAB - Driver Airbag Module
PAB - Passenger Airbag Module
M/F Switch - Multifunction Switch (the switches we use for wipers and headlights )
ESPS Module : - its otherwise known as the control modules

regards
prithvi

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 2059612)
So that the airbag works and you walk away from the crash.

lol. Now I know the reason why manufacturers insist us to wear seat-belts :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajtheindian (Post 2059616)
One of the reason for a passenger side airbag deactivation switch is to disable airbag while using a back facing child seat. While using the seat you still use the seat belts to hold the child seat properly, but then an inflating airbag would be lethal for the baby. Airbag switch will help in such situation

Thanks a lot Raj for the information.

PS: Sorry for going OT.

Amith

Will the airbag be deployed in the following scenario?

Waiting for the green signal in a junction. Car gets banged from the front.

The reason why I'm asking this is, I have read somewhere that Airbags in a particular car model work based on Accelerometer only i.e rapid deceleration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 2060187)
Will the airbag be deployed in the following scenario?

Waiting for the green signal in a junction. Car gets banged from the front.

The reason why I'm asking this is, I have read somewhere that Airbags in a particular car model work based on Accelerometer only i.e rapid deceleration.

If its banged hard enough, your car will move backwards and that will trigger the accelerometer.

I don't think there is any difference in quality in airbags fitted to expensive and cheaper cars (in our context. Not talking of super luxury cars). Things might change as more cars/ components from our northern neighbour land on our streets though.

An airbag is not like the soft fluffy pillow you use at night to shut the world out. It is an explosive device with enough power to maim and kill. And have. However, airbags will not work if they do not have that power.

The deployment of an airbag will cause injuries. The idea is to deploy it when not deploying it will cause greater injuries. And different manufacturers have different ideas about when that should be.

Codrivers airbags are normally deactivated if the car 'senses' that the seat is unoccupied. Saves on insurance costs. Also for a child, airbags can do more harm than good. Very high class cars have a two level charge, and use complex calculations to decide how to set off the charges most appropiate for the weight. Cheaper cars take a yes/ no approach, essentially because these use a single charge airbag.

Incidentally I see a very disturbing trend. People think technologies like ABS, airbags etc make them invincible. Worst is bikers with crash helmets. They don't realize that all they are doing increasing their survival chances slightly. I don't really know how to get the message across to such people! If I'm too effective, I think they'll stop using all safety measures. If not, they take stupid risks.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by malq (Post 2059070)
a) Front impact at combined speed estimated at about 50-60 kmph, airbag did not deploy, new generation hatchback, major repairs in the front of both cars. (other one did not have airbags)

b) New generation sedan, best seller in its class, rear ended by an MUV at about 100kmph, total loss, again air bag did not deploy. (MUV did not have airbags)

1. If everything was working right, car was probably below threshold speed. Possible that prior crash damage has disturbed system

2. Airbags do not deploy during rear impact and also they are of no use during rear impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigamani (Post 2059132)
Already sometimes I get thoughts what it airbags have deployed and the repair costs!

Sorry for getting graphic, but if the airbag saves your skull from cracking & brain from being splattered on the dashboard, I'm sure you will willing pay the replacement costs. Fact is, airbags save lives. Somethings in life are more important than money, especially life itself!

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 2059181)
Also,i guess,Airbags in most cars dont deploy,until seat belts have been worn.

Incorrect. The airbag will still function as intended. However, there is a reason you see the SRS sign (i.e. Supplementary Restraint System) below the airbag. Supplement = Secondary. The airbag's effectiveness is majorly dependent on your wearing a seatbelt. Without a seatbelt, the airbag can sometimes cause damage!

More people die in India from road accidents than cancer. C'mon guys, lets promote the cause of every safety device we can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 2060761)
Airbags do not deploy during rear impact and also they are of no use during rear impact.

Bingo! What you need in the case of a rear impact are neck restraints (or headrests, as they are more popularly known) to prevent whiplash.

Folks, do airbags have a life of some years and need to be replaced after a particular period? Will airbags in a 10-year old car work as efficiently as new ones?

Bumping this thread up, now that the review of the ford Aspire is out. The lower variants of the Aspire have 2 airbags but no ABS. So if you unfortunately get a four legged animal crossing the road suddenly, while you're doing 80 on the NH, you will end slip-sliding into it, hoping that your airbag sensors will detect the crash.
My question is, shouldn't Airbags be added after ABS on a car? To me, it feels like adding high end speakers to a lousy Chinese music player. A gimmick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nijelj (Post 3805559)
Bumping this thread up, now that the review of the ford Aspire is out. The lower variants of the Aspire have 2 airbags but no ABS. So if you unfortunately get a four legged animal crossing the road suddenly, while you're doing 80 on the NH, you will end slip-sliding into it, hoping that your airbag sensors will detect the crash.
My question is, shouldn't Airbags be added after ABS on a car? To me, it feels like adding high end speakers to a lousy Chinese music player. A gimmick.

Exactly. Ford Aspire forcing their customers to their top models (Read Titanium and Plus) If you care about ABS. IMO, ABS would play a vital part to avoid certain type of accidents. Had they been added ABS in lower variants of Aspire (Of-course with a premium), It would have been really fantastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theragingbull (Post 2062087)
Folks, do airbags have a life of some years and need to be replaced after a particular period? Will airbags in a 10-year old car work as efficiently as new ones?

As far as I could recollect airbag don't have a expiry date. As long as the electronic and sensors are in condition no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajess_in (Post 3805579)
As far as I could recollect airbag don't have a expiry date.

Apparently, some of them do.

Airbags in economy cars in India-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_1ysl94.jpg

Benzworld

From the service information sheet:

Quote:

Airbags, that were installed in Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles up to January 1992 have a service life of 15 years. After this service life has elapsed, the airbags must be replaced at the customer's cost.
Source

Volvos:

Quote:

I just noticed that our volvo 850 has an expired airbag. Did you all actually go to a volvo dealership to have the SRS airbag replaced after 10 years? We have had the car for about 1.5 years, and I just noticed this. It expired in 2004.
Swedespeed

Quote:

My 2004 XC70 has a sticker in the door jam that say all the air bags need to be serviced or replace by 2014.
Volvoxc

Audi:

Audi A4 B5 also has a similar sticker stuck on the door sill indicating the expiry dates of the airbags.

Quote:

I was washing my car and I noticed in the driver door sill a sticker that says I the 2 airbags must be replaced 02-2011.
Audiforums

Alfa Romeos:

Quote:

Hi, it has comed to my atention recently when i washed the car that the airbags are due for a recharge
Alfaowner

Not sure if the chemical compounds used for triggering the inflation would lose its life over 10-15 years.