Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which transmission would you like?
Paddle Shift 69 44.23%
Stick Shift 56 35.90%
Automatic Shift 31 19.87%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2005, 02:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Paddle shifts on Indian cars - will it work?

With the traffic congestion increasing by the day, driving a stick shift has bcome a bit of a bother. Nobody likes shifting between 1st and 2nd a thousand times per km.

Automatics on the other hand are good for such conditions but, they're sluggish and don't give the driver the freedom to up/down shift when needed.

That brings us to the paddle shift. It's quick, easy to use and takes you one step closer to F1, which means that you'l never get tired of it.

It lets you upshift/downshift when and as you wish to, while saving those fractions of a sec between changes.

And with technologically advanced transmissions likes VW's Direct Shift Gearbox or DSG, shifting can be more fun that ever.

I think I could live with a paddle shift on my car, could you?

Shan2nu
Old 25th November 2005, 02:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

i dont think thats a good idea for indian customers because even automatics are not that popular here and paddle shifts is a big leap ahead,but if some company like hyundai launches a car with paddle shift and do not charge a huge premium might work here as well,but indian customers wont shell out their hard earned money on a think like this.
Old 25th November 2005, 04:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It lets you upshift/downshift when and as you wish to
Are you sure about this? The only paddle shifter I have driven is the new VW Passat and it doesn't let you upshift/downshift when and as you wish to. The shifts happen at the programmed rpm's and the transmisssion downshifts automatically too. Maybe other cars have it different.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2005, 05:33   #4
BHPian

Paddle shifts sound cool, but I'll stick to Manual. I think I won't ever get bored of it...
gr8guzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2005, 05:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think you are generalising too much by simply saying paddle shift.

There are totally garbage designs like single clutch automated mauals (SMG,Selespeed) and VW excellent DSG twin-clutch system, then there are conventional automatics with paddle shifters (tiptronic)..............there is also a version of NHC CVT in Thailand which comes with a 7 speed paddle shift. The only thing common with all these systems is a + and - button behind the wheel.

Last edited by Mpower : 25th November 2005 at 05:51.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2005, 07:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

I used to think very highly of paddle shift gears until I saw the Top Gear Aston Martin Vanquish video. 3 point turns are an absolute disaster with a paddle shift gearbox. Parking in tight spots will be frustrating as hell. So while it's still a handy device on the race track, I'd much rather have a proper manual gerabox for everyday use. Nothing like the feeling of depressing a clutch with your foot and slotting gears with your hand.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2005, 08:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

with the traffic conditions being as they are now - i would love an Automatic shift ! As it is with traffic , fast cars would be sluggish too !
Old 25th November 2005, 09:03   #8
BHPian

hey sorry can u post some pics of paddle shift .i dont know how they look like
Old 25th November 2005, 09:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you are generalising too much by simply saying paddle shift.
When i say paddle shift, i do mean something like the DSG. I've even mentioned it in the openeing post.

Quote:
with the traffic conditions being as they are now - i would love an Automatic shift ! As it is with traffic , fast cars would be sluggish too !
U didn't get my point. I meant good for bumper to bumper traffic but, sluggish on the open roads, when you really want to extract performance out of it.

Quote:
I used to think very highly of paddle shift gears until I saw the Top Gear Aston Martin Vanquish video. 3 point turns are an absolute disaster with a paddle shift gearbox. Parking in tight spots will be frustrating as hell. So while it's still a handy device on the race track, I'd much rather have a proper manual gerabox for everyday use. Nothing like the feeling of depressing a clutch with your foot and slotting gears with your hand.
Trust me, if you could download the fifth gear episode, where they test drive the VW Golf GTI, you'd fall in love with the DSG.

The way i see it, only Skoda is capable of providing us with DSG (at the moment). The new RS with a DSG will kill the competition.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 25th November 2005 at 09:22.
Old 25th November 2005, 09:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
U didn't get my point. I meant good for bumper to bumper traffic but, sluggish on the open roads, when you really want to extract performance out of it.
I did get your point Shan. Even out on the "unsafe Highways" i would love the Auto Shift.As it is there are hardly roads where you can go for outright performance and top it all off with a sedate driver like urs truly , the auto shift makes perfect sense for me !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 25th November 2005 at 09:26.
Old 25th November 2005, 09:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
The new RS with a DSG will kill the competition.
Shan2nu
the current RS kills the competition as it is ! why would skoda get a technology that would increase the cost of the car ?(as of now ) in the future , who knows !
Old 25th November 2005, 09:48   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The solution to the pain of a manual gearbox in traffic conditions already exists : The Automatics. They are NO longer sluggish and the gear shift is getting smoother by the day.

Paddle shifts were primarily invented for high performance cars to lessen gear shift times and to ensure that the driver keeps his hands on the steering wheel.

To answer the thread question : NO!

GTO

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2005, 09:57   #13
BHPian

If I had that billion em em ok atleast few millions...

For straight and long roads - Love to have that paddle shift

For our bumper to bumper traffic - Negotiate with the automatic

Being practical for everday usage and the occasional long drive - Stick to the stick gear

Ofcourse I see lot of fun factor in the paddle shift...wish I had one

Last edited by VtecDeGr8 : 25th November 2005 at 09:58.
Old 25th November 2005, 10:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Stick Shift

There's nothing like the feeling of the engine revvs thro the stick and quickly darting in and out of traffic..... I don't think any other shift will allow you to connect straight with the engine like the stick.......

--- Ramky
Old 25th November 2005, 11:25   #15
BHPian

Paddle shifts are fine on race cars and supercars but in very bad traffic I would rather have an auto box than a paddle.
Overall I would still prefer the manual gearbox.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks